how much would it cost to replace stringers and deck??

vanvranken

Seaman
bought a 1994 celebrity status 240.went over pretty well when bought it.after getting home and going over boat further,it looks as if someone put decking over old decking.my guess is floor and stringers shot.my question is how much would it cost for me to pay someone to replace stringers and decking??

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would guess 1000's more than the boat would be worth. Doing the work yourself on that size boat would be a huge undertaking it would make it more affordable.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Depending on where you live $5K would be a low estimate and you'd be lucky to get it done for that. Then there's the big risk that they'll "jack-leg" it in and do a crappy job.

You aren't the first person here to have this happen, we see "double decking" a lot. Someone decks over the rot for a quick sale and to get rid of the rotten turd.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think your boat is a cuddy. Depending on the amount of damaged deck and how bad the stringers are, it may cost up to 10k to pay someone.

you can do it yourself for about $2k in materials.

you may need to split the hull and cap.

However prior to this, first thing you should do is pull the second deck out and really see what the damage is.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Agree with scott. Mines a 17' completely gone through,transom,stringers,deck,carpet,seats,and next is the paint. Just the materials for the transom,deck,and carpet was right up near or over $2000. All marine grade plywood.I have to run the numbers yet but thats close. All my own labor. It had a deck over,and I knew that when I bought it so I expected it to be a bit pricy. But its mine and just the right size for our 350 acre lake and out on Lake Superior on a good day. Be prepared to do alot of glass grinding!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'll have over 5k into my 26 footer when I'm done, including the new tanks, and that's doing the work myself. A friend of mine told me he was recently quoted 4k from a repair shop to replace the stringers and floor on his 18 foot ski boat. He said they didn't even discuss the transom.

If you do hire a shop to do the work you'll need to be an 'attentive and interested' customer (read PITA) to make sure things are done you want them done.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
17 foot bayliner material cost was 2k materials only. And around 200 hours of weekends and evenings.

vanvranken

Seaman
No Title

do stringers go all the up thru bow of this boat??celebrity status 240.how do you work under this part of floor in pic??

Attachments

• photo209181.jpg
    photo209181.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 3

tpenfield

Staff member
Generally, the stringers will run the length of the boat, with few exceptions. Your best approach would be to see what you can access easily and how far the rot goes forward. That way, you can plan out the work.

If you did need to replace the entire length, then that may involve removing the cockpit and/or bow rider liner of the boat, as has been mentioned. A bunch more pictures can help with responses, but perhaps it is time to start dismantling the interior and opening things up.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Chop, Chop Chop, save all the molds and glass. Later after the repair you can "fair" blend it back in. Tough spaces to work with but do able. Take alot more pics and measures. Save them to go back to later when you go to dress her up again.
As was suggested earlier you may need to pull the cap off the hull. Been done and alot of info here to do it.
Yesterday was "International Pirate Speak Day".......Aarghhh!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Even if you decide to do it yourself, the cost will still vary significantly based on how experienced you are and your tools inventory. The process is involving and time consuming but - if you enjoy this type of work - is very rewarding. If you plan on keeping this boat and enjoy it for long time, I believe the investment is worth it. 5K sounds reasonable but - again, it will depend on your experience and tools on hand.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Based on the pic you posted, your boat appears to be what I call a "Tub" build. That means the Cap, Inner sides and Floor/Deck are ALL one piece. If you want to split the cap from the hull, then this can be Problematic IF the hull is foam filled and the foam is firmly attached to the bottom of the deck. Not saying it can't and hasn't been done before just that it's a PITA sometimes. I agree with everything all the others have said. Paying to have this done, is usually NOT the way to go unless you just don't have the time, willingness, or space to do the work. I really think a boat of this size needing Deck, Stringer and Transom replacement would easily cost $5K if not $8K at a Boat Shop! and as stated even then you'd not be certain of the quality of the job unless you "Baby Sit" them on a daily basis.

Last edited: