Crestliner SST transom - anyone ever replaced?

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a 1990 18ft Crestliner Phantom with the SST (extended transom). The entire interior and floor needs replacing so I am guessing the transom might be bad as well. Has anyone ever replaced theirs? I haven't study it very closely yet, so I'm not sure how it is even all put together. I searched the forums and didn't come across anything, so If anyone can point me to a thread I would appreciate it. I swear I've seen pictures before.

Thanks,
Chris K

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Post pics of your boat for the best help.

If it's a tinner you got it make in the shade compared to a glasser.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post pics of your boat for the best help.

If it's a tinner you got it make in the shade compared to a glasser.

Who would ever buy an itchy glass boat to work on? :biggrin1:

I am assuming there is an 'inner' and 'outer' transom.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I am assuming there is an 'inner' and 'outer' transom.

The best way to find that out is to go ahead and rip into her, but I would think there's gonna be an inner and outer by the looks of the design.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some closer inside and outside pics of the bracket would help. It looks like the caps have some fasteners on top.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im sure I can figure it out, I was just wondering if anyone has actually done one or can point me to a thread somewhere. The back one looks really easy, but the inner one looks much more involved.

GA_Boater

You may be breaking new ground, cr. Googling doesn't find any SST DIY transom replacements.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Stock up on rivets and put her back together the way she came apart and you'll be fine.;)

GA_Boater

Since we can't find any transom rebuilds, post some more pics and we can still help you out. Plenty of tin boat owners here that have gone through much of what you will be doing. Your only real difference is the bracket and I think it's a bolt on.

Also, don't stock up on rivets yet. I believe Crestliners are welded hulls.

crkranz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stopped by last night and looked at the boat again and it appears there is not an 'inner' wood transom. Replacing the one on the back looks as easy as it gets.

Crestliners are all welded - best of both worlds, no fiberglass and no rivets.