1977 24' Sea Ray Restoration Project

buddsmith

Cadet
Hello Forum members new to the forum
I have a few questiopns that i cannot seem to find the answers to and was hoping yall might be able to assist. I am going to attempt to rebuild a 1977 24' Sea Ray. It has a cracked hull (pics attached) Since this is going to be a total rebuild i have plans on removing the cuddy and making it a center console, also plan on adding ether (1) 225 hp or twin 150 hp outboards, since i just got the hull with no engine or outdrive i have a clean slate to work with, I found out that when Sea Ray built this boat there are no stringers in the hull just a liner and 2 part foan under the liner, i have since started removing the liner I will be repairing the hull (if possible) and adding stringers an new floor.and glassing everything. My question to yall is.

(1) When i rebuild the transom to accomidate the out boards how far up the hull towards the bow do i have to run the knee braces and at what locations ( I was told that i had to add braces from the transom up the hull to structurally support the engine(s)

(2) Can the transom be beefed up enought to handle twin engines even if i only use a single and where does the braces have to be

I probably will have alot more questions in the future that i hope yall will be able to assist with and thanks in advance for yalls input it is appreciated

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!

No Pics!!! Best way to post em is to open a Free Photobucket account and then copy the IMG Code and Paste it directly into your iboats thread. Once we can inspect the pictures we'll be able to give you some beneficial advice.

Last edited:

buddsmith

Cadet
I was finally able to add pics of the project I hope that they are ok for yall to see
Thank you

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, well, well. Now THAT'S a Cracked Hull!!!!

(1) When i rebuild the transom to accomidate the out boards how far up the hull towards the bow do i have to run the knee braces and at what locations ( I was told that i had to add braces from the transom up the hull to structurally support the engine(s)

I'd recommend incorporating the knee braces into the stringers. They'd need to extend about 2' forward.

(2) Can the transom be beefed up enought to handle twin engines even if i only use a single and where does the braces have to be

Yup, 1 1/2" - 2" transom will be plenty strong to handle any combination of outboard(s) you want to hang on her.

Last edited:

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i don't see no crack....just a handy "quick exit" door in the bottom of the hull