Replacing windshield on 1964 Starcraft Jet Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
A little cleaning info:

Lexan* Sheet Cleaning Recommendations
These cleaning recommendations apply to all Lexan polycarbonate sheet products, including, but not limited to, Lexan
solid sheet and signs, Lexan coated Margard* sheet and Lexan multiwall sheet.
Periodic cleaning using correct procedures can help to prolong service life. For cleaning, it is recommended that the
following instructions be adhered to::

Cleaning Procedure for Small Areas - Manual
1. Gently wash sheet with a solution of mild soap and lukewarm water, using a soft, grid-free cloth or sponge to
loosen any dirt or grime.

2. Fresh paint splashes, grease and smeared glazing compounds can be removed easily before drying by
rubbing lightly with a soft cloth using petroleum ether (BP65), hexane or heptane. Afterwards, wash the
sheet using mild soap and lukewarm water.

3. Scratches and minor abrasions can be minimized by using a mild automobile polish. We suggest that a test
be made on a small area of Lexan sheet with the polish selected and that the polish manufacturer
instructions be followed, prior to using the polish on the entire sheet.

4. Finally, thoroughly rinse with clean water to remove any cleaner residue and dry the surface with a soft cloth
to prevent water spotting..

Other Important Instructions for All Lexan Sheets:
- Never use abrasive or highly alkaline cleaner on Lexan polycarbonate materials.
- Never use aromatic or halogenated solvents like toluene, benzene, gasoline, acetone or carbon tetrachloride
on Lexan polycarbonate materials.
- Use of incompatible cleaning materials with Lexan sheet can cause structural and/or surface damage.
- Contact with harsh solvents such as methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) or hydrochloric acid can result in surface
degradation and possible crazing of Lexan sheet.
- Never scrub with brushes, steel wool or other abrasive materials.
- Never use squeegees, razorblades or other sharp instruments to remove deposits or spots.
- Do not clean Lexan polycarbonate in direct sunlight or at high temperatures as this can lead to staining.

That's from: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...yHxmu4u3O9qcIg

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Would another set of brackets help if they were placed at the 1/2" low spot and used to pull it in further?

After a little staring and poking, that's exactly what I'm going to do, it will be in good shape after that. Thanks for the suggestion! :hail:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Here's a good reference sheet for working with polycarbonate (Lexan etc.):

http://www.plasticsmachining.com/mag...carbonate.html

Discusses just about everything you'd need to know for working with it. If you google the subject, be careful, there's a lot of misinformation out there!

Everything I'm reading is coming out against the idea of using any HEAT on the .118" thickness Lexan that I used on anything but the sharpest bends. The rule of thumb for bending without heat is an allowable radius of 100 times the material thickness. That would give the .118" an allowable cold-bend curve of 11.8". My curve is just about at a 12" radius, so that clinches it, no heat for me! :hand: Heat bending can introduce a whole slew of problems if not done right!

EDIT: In Post #29 above, it says the allowable bending radius is 175x the material thickness, not 100. That 175x is from the actual manufacturer, so I feel OK with that. The 100x quoted above is more generic info, so I'm comfortable with my bends! We'll see how it holds up over time.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If I was there, we could go out in the garage and talk for an hour, and all that hot air would take care of the bending in no time!!!!:D;) This Old Dumb Okie and Produce a LOT of it!!!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral
If I was there, we could go out in the garage and talk for an hour, and all that hot air would take care of the bending in no time!!!!:D;) This Old Dumb Okie and Produce a LOT of it!!!!

I said HEAT
flamethrower_med-1.jpg

not HOT AIR!!!
hot-air-balloon-1.jpg

64osby

Admiral
After a little staring and poking, that's exactly what I'm going to do, it will be in good shape after that. Thanks for the suggestion! :hail:

Very cool that it will work.:thumb:

My first boat was all original, the windshield did leak under the seal. Often considered adding more brackets but never did.

attachment.php

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
A 6-month later update on this project....Today I added the two extra windshield brackets. I used the concealed type this time, because I had them on hand, and also I had paid an extravagant price for a set of the original style a year or two ago, and 2 of the 4 broke within a week! Here's what the concealed ones look like:

(The gaskets here are older because I robbed the new ones when I made the windshield last fall. :) )
wDSC_1964.jpg

Taylor Made Hidden Hold Down Fasteners

http://www.iboats.com/Hidden-Hold-D...084709--session_id.236283138--view_id.1145813

First I measured & drilled the two deck holes (3/16"), then 5/16" through the windshield, using tape on both sides and a very slow speed. I put a small piece of scrap paneling on the dash behind the windshield so that if it broke through at the end, I wouldn't gouge up the paint.

wDSC_1956.jpg

wDSC_1959.jpg

wDSC_1968.jpg

wDSC_1961.jpg

All finished!
wDSC_1969cr.jpg

After adding the extra brackets, besides fitting to the deck better, the whole windshield is a lot sturdier for those times when you don't have your sea legs yet, and reflexively grab the windshield to steady yourself!

Can't wait toe get back on the water this year, a few weeks away!

Andy in NY

Commander
Came out very nice! I want to make a custom windshield for mine. I went from a closed bow with a full windshield to an open bow with just a helm console. I want to make a simple wind deflector for it.

Seeing as how you are just right down the street, maybe I could talk you into helping me?

btw is your pic on chateaugay lake? Ive only had my boat on 2 different bodies of water: chateaugay and meachum lake. The sand bar is by far my favorite.

64osby

Admiral
LL - Glad it worked out for you.:clap2:

Nice work.:thumb: Time to Splash 2015 :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks guys, it feels good looking forward to actually being able to see where I'm going this year!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nice job Wally!!! Looking forward to seeing you and the "Permanent Vacation" back on the water.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.