Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks like a GREAT template.

Now the hard part's over..... ;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral
The polycarbonate is cut out.

The stuff is very easy to work with. I used a 30 TPI metal-cutting blade in my jig saw set at about 1/2 speed, and it cut like butter. On the advice of sage Woodonglass, a double layer of blue masking tape was applied to the plastic where the cutting lines would be. The plastic was clamped to the work table for the cutting to keep away any movement.

wDSC_1011.jpg

Here's my setup. I used a chair underneath to steady it while I was cutting and just moved it along as I went. It worked out very well and there was no tendancy for the plastic to jump around at all.

wDSC_1013.jpg

Masking tape also on the plate of the saw:

wDSC_1015.jpg

Then I did a test fit in the top frame, and since it matched the template exactly, it fit like a glove! It wasn't even that hard to bend to get in place. I was planning to shim out to the thickness of the frame channel using strips of the Lexan, but a double layer would be just a hair too thick. I found that two layers of some 1/32" Felpro automotive gasket material I had lying around would be just right. I'm only planning to put it where the rivets go through to hold everything in place.

w-comp1017-1020.jpg

The next step is to wait for it to stop raining so I can uncover the boat and do a test fit in place. :twitch:

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks FANTASTIC !! Very Nice attention to Detail..As Always!!!! It will be nice to have a perfectly clear windshield on that BEEE-U-Tee-Full boat!!!:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Yes, fact is, it will be the first time ever that I've seen where I'm going! I've been looking over the top of it for three years! Can't wait to try it out, but it will be a long winter wait. :sour:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
When I fitted the cut out Lexan into the frame, it seemed to need more forcing on the upright parts of the frame. I figured it was just the plastic resisting being bent. But today I discovered two leftover metal clips stuck inside each side of the frame channel. Got them extracted & it will probably fit better now. They weren't very obvious, so if you do this, remember to check inside the frame!

Still waiting for the rain to stop!

wDSC_1021.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You expect me to actually prepare to do something BEFORE I do it!!! That would be like reading INSTRUCTIONS!!!!:eek: NOPE Ain't gunna do it!! You can't Make me!!!!!:nono:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
At the cost of that dang stuff, I'm willing to read a few instructions! :lol::mod::whip:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Yesterday I drilled a couple mounting holes and did a test fit in place on the boat. As far as the cutting and drilling, I'm not having ANY trouble with chipping or cracking or any of the stuff I was worried about. This stuff is easier to work with than you'd think. Just use sharp tools, and slow speed and you'll be OK.

w21027amp1028.jpg

Here it is in place. The ends of the frame are attached & it looks like a terrible fit, but I *think* it will bend into place OK as I fasten it to the deck mount angles.

wDSC_1030.jpg

Just pushing it into place by hand, it was pretty darn close. And if I run into trouble and it doesn't fit, I'm going to make new hold-down brackets rather than do the plastic over. The original style deck mounts are obsolete and expensive if you can find them. I bought some NOS a year or so ago at an outrageous price as a splurge to make it look nice and pretty, replaced pitted the old ones, and two of the new ones broke before I even got it on the water! Had to put the pitted ones back on...

Now a wait for some rivets I just ordered to fix the frame to the Lexan. Next step: drilling and riveting the frame.

Now for more detail than you probably care about: I was considering going over it with a heat source once it is fastened in place to head off any possible future stress crazing. The link below shows more than you would ever want to know about Lexan. According to that source:

"Cold Curving: This technique simply involves installing a curved sheet, thereby placing a slight bending stress across the sheet. The stress levels in the curve are a function of sheet thickness and radii, and, provided they do not exceed a recommended maximum, the stress will have no influence upon the property performance. The basic criteria for the minimum radii is...175 times sheet thickness for Lexan® Exell® D..." (UV coated both sides).

So for my approximately 3mm sheet, the minimum recommended cold-formed radius is 525mm, or about 21". I'm at about 1/2 of that, so I'll have to think more about it.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...NL9Sl1yn-cpaTQ

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LakeLover,

Very Nice thread! Alot of good info here. I'll be tagging along. My boat did not come with a winshield or any frame....An old Sportscraft 222. I've been pondering how to approach the build. Googled for about 2 years to find replacement and as such no real luck. May do something with the plastic and make wood frames to place it in.
In any event Great Info!

lakelover

Rear Admiral
LakeLover,

Very Nice thread! Alot of good info here. I'll be tagging along. My boat did not come with a winshield or any frame....An old Sportscraft 222. I've been pondering how to approach the build. Googled for about 2 years to find replacement and as such no real luck. May do something with the plastic and make wood frames to place it in.
In any event Great Info!

Thanks, kcassells. I did the same thing searching. I did find a source for mine, but I think it was something like $600+! :tsk: :der: Sometimes fabricating a frame takes a little innovation, but it can be done!

lakelover

Rear Admiral
The Make a special Grind Bit for drilling Plastic or you can Grind your own...http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/drill_acrylic.htm

You know, I drilled some Plexiglass today for another project. Granted, the hole diameters weren't all that big, but I have been having ZERO problems with chipping, drilling either type of plastic.

Update: Reevits have arreeved. Hope to get back at the windshield project tomorrow.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
More progress today...LONG POST WARNING!

First I drilled 3/16" holes in the frame where I wanted the rivets to go. Then I marked out, measured and taped the locations on the plastic where I was going to drill for the rivets. I wanted to drill with the Lexan in the frame because I figured it would be too difficult to make everything line up and fit back together afterwards.

wDSC_1038.jpg

Lined up with the mark previously made for lining it up:

wDSC_1040.jpg

In the next picture you can see that two frame holes on one end were partially or fully below the edge of the Lexan. This was due to my previous template tracing. Confession time: I should have more thoroughly test fitted the template in the frame on the boat ! :facepalm: I would have discovered that (and other things) earlier in the game. More about that later.

wDSC_1042.jpg

After fitting the windshield into the frame, I first drilled and riveted the top center hole to hold it in place securely while I drilled the rest of the holes. I did put a double layer of the Felpro gasket in as a shim at each hole on the straight sections of the frame, and drilled right thru everything at once. I couldn't use it in the curves because it was too tight a fit.

wDSC_1044.jpg

wDSC_1047.jpg

Gremlin: For some reason, several of my rivets broke off much further up the shaft than they should have, rather than inside the rivet itself. I don't know if that's an indication of poor quality rivets or if my rivet gun is wearing out. It was fairly cheap, but hasn't really seen all that much use. For the ones that broke off long, I cut them with wire cutters and used the ol' Dremel to grind & smooth off the tops.

wDSC_1049.jpg

What I thought would be just a test fit turned into a full installation on the boat. And back to my Confession...My template was off by almost 1/2" in the two spots marked by the red arrows. I guess I could have let the cardboard sag into the bubble of the original windshield, but how much would be the big question, I guess it depends on the depth of your bubble. The deck curve wasn't right, and more careful checking on the boat would have caught this. I shoulda known better!

w2DSC_1052.jpg

wDSC_1057.jpg

I have a lot of excuses why I didn't do that, but I won't bore you with them! :sleeping:

So I decided to forge ahead rather than start over basically at the beginning and remake the template etc. etc. Since it was "pretty close", I thought I'd have this be my "test project" and run it to completion, saving the other half of my Lexan sheet. That way I can use the windshield for a season or two and see if it holds up and also if there are any other issues, then I won't have to buy more "next time"!! What I will do is make detailed notes about the adjustments I need to make to the template, and next time I'll do a lot more on-boat test fitting!

Oh, and Confession Time Part 2: :doh: I riveted the dang plastic into the frame flipped LEFT/RIGHT, but it was symmetrical enough that it didn't really matter "much" after all. Maybe that's why the two frame holes I drilled were below the bottom edge of the plastic. Live and learn. I guess the stars were out of alignment today or something. I have more excuses, but.......

So it wasn't a total loss, and I consider it basically finished... Although not perfect, it's a whole lot better than what I had!!! It was a little tough getting the four deck angles installed, but once they were loosely in place, it got easier as I tightened everything up. Would have been easier with that missing 1/2". So we'll see how she holds up.

I left the protective sheet in place until the windshield was fully mounted, removing that was the last thing.

Did you ever notice on TV how when they finish their fabrication, the protective sheet pulls off in one big, neat piece, and reveals a beautiful finished project? :pound:I guess that's why they are the pros! Since my rivets passed right thru the protective film, it was hard to get off at the edges, particularly in the bends of the frame and near the rivets. I ended up having to spend a lot of time fighting with it and using a utility knife to get it off several spots around the edges. But I didn't want to take a chance on scratching the plastic.

So here's my before and after, a big improvement, although that little bit of template error will aways bother me...'til next time!

Before:

wDSC_8103.jpg

After:

wDSC_1063.jpg

Next thing to think about and research is the issue of heating it on the curves to prevent crazing. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Wow. Awesome night and day difference.:joyous:

Would another set of brackets help if they were placed at the 1/2" low spot and used to pull it in further?

I have installed thousands and thousands of rivets over the years and have never seen one break long like that. I'd blame it on cheap rivets not the operator.;)

I've gotten in the habit of marking everything with LH, RH, top, bottom, inside or out just to make it easier when there is a question. Also makes it easier when something doesn't get installed right away.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Would another set of brackets help if they were placed at the 1/2" low spot and used to pull it in further?......I've gotten in the habit of marking everything with LH, RH, top, bottom, inside or out just to make it easier when there is a question. Also makes it easier when something doesn't get installed right away.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to check on that...I had it marked, but somehow I got mixed up. One of my excuses is that I was pulled in too many directions today! :violin:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Can you cut a little off the bottom left center and right to get it to seat properly maybe ? Might have to trim the frame a bit ...
Btw , Don't know if it's in yours or your neighbors yard but it looks like there is a ghost flying around ! :ghost:

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Can you cut a little off the bottom left center and right to get it to seat properly maybe ? Might have to trim the frame a bit ...
Btw , Don't know if it's in yours or your neighbors yard but it looks like there is a ghost flying around ! :ghost:

Thanks, tomorrow I'll go out and do some staring and see what I can come up with. And yeah, that's my yard-buddy this time of year.

wDSC_7257b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.