1983 Invader Floor Repair Support Needed - Take 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A Second Layer of CSM is up to you. I would but That's just me. I'd wax it to seal it to ensure proper watersealing etc. Or at the very least put down a 4-6 oz fabric. As for the skilocker and Bilge I'd prolly roll on Rustoleum pro with hardener. Again just my personal preference. Durable and easy to touch up and maintain. Either will work just fine.

Last edited:

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Almost got the entire second layer of CSM down today. Ran out of poly resin. I think one more gallon will be enough to finish up the CSM on the deck and then a few odds and ends that'll need to be coated in resin. I think I've gone through 9 gal of poly resin now.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok - crazy unrelated question. I have noticed that this polyester resin dries very clear and shiny when it is spread thin over a surface. I also have a boat that used to be this very shiny sparkly blue?and then age and UV damage set in and the clear coat is very dull. So, I say to myself, I wonder what would happen if I rolled out a thin layer of this polyester resin, with a surfacing agent mixed in, over the old clear coat? Would the shiny blue return? Would there be some short term or long term problem with doing this? Anyone's thoughts are welcomed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Big Problem. The resin would crack and peel in no time. Without glass Poly resin is pretty much useless. If you want shiny blue...Wet Sand and Polish is about the only long lasting method.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Figured the answer would be something like that. Thanks. I read some of your responses to similar questions via other threads. Now I'm giving consideration to the "paint your boat with tractor paint" option....but let's get this deck/stringer/bulkhead part done first!

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ready to lay down the carpet. I went with a glue-down product from Corinthian Carpets. https://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/products/10/56

I have it cut and ready to glue to the fiberglass deck and sides of the hull. When I talked to Corinthian, they said that any latex-based adhesive will work just fine. However, I have read several comments online advising avoidance of latex-based adhesives. I have a 1-gallon jug of Roberts Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive 6700 sitting here next to me and I am hesitant to use it. Many comments online recommend the use of contact cement instead - or other solvent-based adhesives. Other recommended products include DAP Weldwood. I am going to call Corinthian again tomorrow to discuss further, but am interested in any feedback/experience you all have had.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
DAP Weldwood is my preference. 100% waterproof when cured. Only issue is it's not very forgiving...when you stick it...IT"S STUCK!!! There's a knack to installing when using it so you want to KNOW how before you start. That's my recommendation. Good to see you posting again!!;)

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Wood. Your one-vote for DAP Weldwood counts for 10 in my book - so thanks. I have just read too many negative comments about this Roberts product and only cautionary comments - like yours - about the DAP product. It works very well - you just have to be careful. I can do that.

I've been finishing up little things here and there with the boat in preparation for the carpet. Then the weekends got busy and I lost a little momentum. Now I am back on the horse and ready to git-r-done! Also been replacing the foam filler and vinyl on some parts of the boat, so that has been taking some of my time too. Wish I had the confidence and time to do the sewing to create new seat coverings, but I think I will leave those to a professional.

OLD
IMG_1948_zpsm2okvvte.jpg
[/URL]

NEW: still need to add the piping around the edges - and that musty smell is gone!
IMG_1949_zps9yw4psni.jpg
[/URL]

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nice job on the Vinyl. The Contact Cement is a bit tricky but if you make a pattern for the carpet precut it outside the boat then prefit it Inside the boat and roll it back and then apply the cement and then roll the carpet back down you can make it work.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Carpet is down! I did it in three separate pieces. First, the floor and then each side separately. I did the right side of the floor first by folding the carpet over - the repeated for the left side. The side pieces were a bit trickier - and they aren't perfect, but c'mon, this is my first time with this stuff. I reinstalled one of the side panels. You can see the difference in color between the new vinyl and the old. It's all coming along.

IMG_0268_zps69gtjfqi.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0269_zpskiopxc9u.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0270_zpsyeyoalor.jpg
[/URL]

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looking good. The carpet looks like it was a little tricky. The vinyl looks good as well. Keep up the good work and you'll have her back together in no time.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recovered the engine housing. The original doesn't look too bad in this picture, but it was sun-bleached and the corners were worn.

IMG_1954_zpslpyznhwo.jpg

IMG_1965_zpsfplwwru6.jpg

IMG_1966_zpso5v7f0xa.jpg

IMG_1967_zps2yagc0y7.jpg

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still here?.still working. Nearly all of the work I set out to do originally is now complete. Lately, in my spare 30-min here, 20-min there, I have been wet-sanding, polishing and waxing the cap, replacing the snaps and the vinyl covers on the seats. I will have some whole-boat pics soon but here are a few others to tide you over in the meantime.

Here is an old-and-new pic of the bow seat covers. The one on the left is new. The old one doesn't look too bad in this pic, but the color is actually really washed out.
IMG_2012_zpszsuzpehx.jpg

Here is a pic of a portion of the cap before the wet sanding, polishing and waxing.
IMG_2001_zpsy2ukrbrt.jpg

Here is a pic after wet sanding, polishing and waxing and replacement of the snaps
IMG_1999_zpsphcaj2h3.jpg

And finally, a pic of the nose of the cap. The left side hasn't been touched. The right side has been wet sanded, but no polishing or waxing yet.
IMG_1998_zps6xb6bgp9.jpg

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still have a few cushions in need of new vinyl covers, but moored the boat in the Puget Sound this weekend so I could get the trailer re-painted. Grinded away all of the old paint and rust and then went to work with the primer and the blue paint. Went to pick up the boat today and couldn't resist taking it for a spin around the south PS a bit. Still floats!!! Here's the before and after for the trailer and then a shot once I returned home from the boat launch.

IMG_2023_zpsqcu13q6w.jpg

IMG_2025_zpsblbxswp9.jpg

IMG_2027_zpsfedwkfin.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Trailer Looks Good!!!! Soooo Was this a Splash or is the Official Splash coming Later???

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The official SPLASH took place yesterday afternoon. Left work early and had the boat in the water by 4:45 pm. Took my good friend, Adam, and his two boys along with me and my son. 90 degrees her in sunny western Washington and the water was entirely refreshing! Engine ran perfectly and, more importantly, the boat stayed afloat for the entire 2.5 hours! Here are some pics. THANK YOU to everyone who helped to guide me through this restoration process. I definitely could not have done it without your help. I do still plan to recover the remaining seats, but we'll leave that for another winter.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congratulations! I think she turned out real nice. You should be proud of all that hard work because it has certainly paid off. Have a great Independence Day and have a great summer. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.