1983 Invader Floor Repair Support Needed - Take 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Speaking from experience hear (mis-spelling WAS intended!!!) You MUST wear some hearing protecting when running tools!!! I've lost 95% of my hearing in my left ear and believe me I WISH I would have headed the advice of my peers when they gave me this advice during the course of my work during my career!!!!:facepalm: Fortunately my right ear, for now is in good shape, but if it goes, I'll be deaf cuz my deafness in my left ear is NOT the kind that can be corrected with a hearing aid. Soooo,, Please consider wearing some ear muffs anytime a tool turns on. I KNOW what I sound like...but deal with it!!!!:D:eek:;)

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree 110%. Wear ear protection while running a vacuum, the lawnmower, the edge trimmer, the table saw….just about anything. Wore them in the video, too - just too small to see.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, pardon me!!! I re-visited the video, and I'll be darned if at the end I didn't notice the little orange ear plugs hanging out of your ears!!! Good on ya!!!! Like I said I AM an Old Dumb Okie and my deafness PROVES it!!!!! You on the other hand, Are a VERY SMART MAN and those ear plugs PROVE IT!!!! Carry on!!!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Only kidding! You are absolutely right! Just couldn't help myself. lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Huh? What? Are you Talking to me? Did you say something?

36f660c932333099265d79642f621faa.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I just brought my wife up to look at this running commentary....She's laughing going back downstairs...WE both needed that! She said it was so/too nice that we are all able {Iboats forums} to yap like this and enjoy. I concur 100%.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Laughing at yourself is a sure sign of a healthy individual!

Ok, LET THE GRINDING BEGIN!! And lets just make a few things very clear right off the bat, I wore a full tyvek suit with hoody, taped the cuffs around my wrists, wrapped a towel around my neck, wore ear plugs, googles and a respirator. I think that covers it. The grinding itself went pretty well. What have you guys done beyond vacuuming to get the dust out. Rinse out with water? Will resume grinding on Thur or Fri. Here are before grinding and after grinding pics. Also have posted video update https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNf...GB0AlkTszgdXGg

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Water works great. I scooped the bulk of it with a dustpan, vacuumed, then washed the rest out with water. If you haven't tried them yet they make vacuum cleaner bags, keeps the filter clean and easy to toss. I used a citrus degreaser, scrubbed with a broom, during the final flush.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup^^^ the bags are a Vac Saver when it comes to dust!!! I'm lucky that I'm a wood worker and have a larger dust collector and I put the 4" hose with a large collector box inside the boat and keep it positioned so most of the dust is directed into the collection box. Works great. I think you could do the same thing with a regular shop vac by building something like this...
hb169tp01-01_lg.jpg
Just not sure how much of a hassle it would be to keep it positioned correctly and if the shop vac could/would keep up with the volume of dust. You might try building a bigger collector instead of using a milk jug. I also have tried taping the hose to the side of the grinder and that worked fairly well too but the hose would get in the way at times. You might experiment a bit and see what works for you. Others have used box fans with AC Filters taped to the back of them and then Knock the dust off when they clog but that seems to me to be a hassle too cuz I think they'd clog pretty fast. I dunno cuz I never tried it.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Me too…..Wood, are you telling me that everybody else is laughing at me? We could go down a long psychobabble rabbit hole on this one!

Jared9220

Seaman
Nice little project you have going on here PitaBoat. Thanks for giving me the link to come over and follow along.

abr19096

Cadet
Looks pretty good on your project. Back in the day we called fore and aft snigi that touch the hull stringers - yours has three- center and one on each side of it
Things that fill in the areas athwartships we called bulkheads and things that were used to level the walking surface were called crossfloors or just floors
The floor we called the sole. The wood thing in the center running fore and aft is often called a garboard The pad thing is a pad for a bilge pump The keel normally attaches to the garboard. The hull drain is sometimes called a garboard drain particularly when they are in the front

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
SELF meanin All 3 of me!!! Me, Myself and I!!!! I would NEVER laugh at anyone else!!! I have enough problems...Trust me!!!:facepalm:

No a offense taken whatsoever. Geez, I was trying to investigate the saying and it appears this guy "B J Neblitt" takes credit for the saying. My wife says she laughs at me all the time.

PitaBoat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No offense here either, Wood....I'm about as laid back as they come. Ok, I thought I had done enough grinding, that I had gone deep enough. Then I realized I had not. So, spent several hours today grinding away. Good progress and LOTS of white powder. Grind, vacuum, grind, vacuum, grind, vacuum. Got down to a nice shiny and smooth level. Most of the easy to reach work is done. Just have the harder to reach surfaces to go. Not sure the grinder is gonna get to some of these places. Any recommendations? I will post some updated pics tomorrow. Learned of a friend that has an engine hoist and holder, for lack of the technical term. So, if I have to pull the engine to replace the transom, I should be all set. If I do have to replace the transom, hopefully I can complete that piece without removing the cap.