1990 Maxum Restoration "Here We Go" LOTS OF PICS

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Take us a couple pics while standing inside the boat and looking at the rotten transom.

scoeas1982

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah man, that's pretty bloody rotten.

Yes it is rotten very much so. I see where the plywood of the transom is i have outlined that in red. However i dont understand the 2 peices on either side i have outlined in yellow. If i had to guess i would say that they were some sort of supports for the transom.

Here is my next question.

Should i do plywood or seacast to rebuild the transom.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Yes, the 2 pieces outlined in yellow are braces for the transom and will probably need to be replaced as well.

You can get a quality long lasting build out of either wood or sea cast, the one you should use is the one you think you'll be the most comfortable building with.

scoeas1982

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, the 2 pieces outlined in yellow are braces for the transom and will probably need to be replaced as well.

You can get a quality long lasting build out of either wood or sea cast, the one you should use is the one you think you'll be the most comfortable building with.[/QUOTE

I would be more comfortable with wood. I will go ahead and replace the braces on the transom as well. Let me ask are they just fiberglassed in. Like the transom. I am just trying to think in my head how to cut it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You'll want to cut the skin around the perimeter of the wood the best you can, it's going to be a pita to get in that cramped area:

Cut everything loose the best you can and then pry it out trying to keep as much as you can intact so you can use it for measurements and a kinda-sorta pattern to put the new one in.

scoeas1982

Seaman Apprentice
OK guys so i have gottent he old rotten transom out and also have removed the cap fully. I pushed the boat to the back yard. I dont know what to do next. Do i strt tearing up the floors and the deck or do i need to remove the wooden boxes covered in fiberglass in the back. Here are some pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd go ahead and tear out the deck and remove all the foam. The boxes appear to be some what "Structural". They may not need to be put back exactly in the same configuration but IMHO they do need to be there to some degree for "Side Hull" support. I also recommend getting the top off the rear portion of the boxes. I'd bet they are filled with foam. I could be wrong!!;)

scoeas1982

Seaman Apprentice
I'd go ahead and tear out the deck and remove all the foam. The boxes appear to be some what "Structural". They may not need to be put back exactly in the same configuration but IMHO they do need to be there to some degree for "Side Hull" support. I also recommend getting the top off the rear portion of the boxes. I'd bet they are filled with foam. I could be wrong!!;)

Well the wooden part of them where you see the speaker mounts holes are rotted. But i am going to take those off easy so i can keep them as a template to replace them. I think you r right the rest of it is tructual.

scoeas1982

Seaman Apprentice

You were dead on thwy were filled with foam i have gotten one of them of ill be getting the other one out tommorw.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't you need to support the hull before you remove the cap so it doesn't bow out?