Cobia Sunskiff 156 restore

haymon75

Cadet
I was able to pull the motor on the boat yesterday and the transom is rotted as well but I expected that as well. I am thinking about pouring a sea cast transom. I have been reading about it and dollar for dollar I think it is worth it. Plus it will out live me in the boat. I will get some updated picks. So it's almost time to start sanding the glass. I have also decided to layer the bottom of the inner hull with a layer of 1708. I am two holes to fix because the prior owner ran two screws throught the hull trying put a sub floor in the boat.

haymon75

Cadet
I know marine grade is best but is exterior plywood ok? What about an oak or birch plywood?

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Exterior ply is fine, many restorers here have used it. Be sure to fill all voids including the edges.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oak and Birch plywood is INTERIOR Grade and therefore uses glue that and wood laminations NOT suitable for marine use. ALL exterior grade plywood, underlayment, MDO, and Marine Grade uses glue and wood laminations that are water resistant. If you fill the voids and ensure proper encapsulation with resin and glass and then maintain and care for your boat properly you can expect Ext. Grade plywood to last multiple decades. For me, that's plenty long enough and for the major price difference I just can't see paying for the composite "Pour In" transom material.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Duplicate post, see next one.....

Last edited:

haymon75

Cadet
Well I got a lot done this weekend. I was able to get mist of the transom out and all the stringers removed. I am about ready to start grinding the glass down. I did have a mild setback today. I cut my finger pretty good with the cutting wheel for the grinder. I thought it would need at at stiches but I didn't get them. I did decide to do a wood transom. photobucket.com/user/Haymon15/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps77308870.jpg.html]
image_zps77308870.jpg
[/20Uploads/image_zpsa782478d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

haymon75

Cadet
Here are the other pic. s1375.photobucket.com/user/Haymon15/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa782478d.jpg.html]
image_zpsa782478d.jpg
[/URL]

Jamescenterconsole

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like good progress! I would suggest that you be sure that the bottom is supported well and you probley want to put some cross braces over the top (side to side) to keep them from laying out. Its like people, you take the bones out and they are just a shapeless mess. Another hint super glue works great for smaller cuts just be sure to get the dirt out first! I sent you a pm in response to your question let me know if you didnt get it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, a good pair of Heavy leather gloves when grinding is always a good thing. Hopefully, you're using a tyvkek suit, respirator etc...

haymon75

Cadet
Yes I am wearing the proper PPE equipment when grinding. However I just received an order I. And was looking for my cabosil and accidentally opened the container that I didnt know it was in. I know not to breath it in but hopefully it won't hurt me to bad. I quickly cover my mouth and nose.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
We used to have a member that tried to convince everyone that Cabosil was edible. Now, there are forms of it that are. In fact it is used for the filler in catsup and other foods but...I don't think it's the same grade that's used for Marine use. I could be totally wrong and He could have been totally Right. I just didn't want to put it to the test!!!!:eek: Breathing anykind of fine powdery dust is NEVER a good thing so we ALL should protect ourselves at ALL times when in this type of environment for extended periods of time.;)

haymon75

Cadet
I was able to experiment with alittle grinding today. I hope to get my transom in before it gets too cold since I have to work outside at the storage yard. I have gotten all the transom out and need to grind it smooth and work the edges good. I am going to try a drill brush to get into the corners and hopefully it will get it flat and smooth. I was able to knock down the high spots from the stringers today as well. It is coming along nicely but I'm almost out of time to work here. I might have a few more weeks of warm weather here in MS. I will have to take some more pictures for all of you.

haymon75

Cadet
I was able to make some more progress this weekend. I got the transom cut out and the stringers cut as well. I will have to find tune the transom and stringers to match the hull. How do I get rid of these (in the picture below) appears to be left over termites from all the rotten wood.

haymon75

Cadet
What is the best way to get rid of them? If all the old wood is gone and new wood encased in glass will I have a problem down the road?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
By the time you're finished grinding and cleaning all those little critters should be long gone. The inside of your boat should be clean and smooth as a baby's bottom if you've done everything correctly.;)

haymon75

Cadet
Ok I have a question for you guys. I just bought 10 gallons of poly resin. Will it last into spring if I don't use it all in the next week or two? I am working outside and being in Ms I will have a few weeks left before it gets too cold. If I have to I could make a heated tent but don't want to have to do it.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is said that if left unopened it should have a 3 month shelf life - if stored in a cool, dark place. Others probably have more info than I do though..

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the best way to get rid of them? If all the old wood is gone and new wood encased in glass will I have a problem down the road?

You've gotta grind, grind, grind 'em away. All of that old work has to come out. The old channels, PB, old resin, leftover glass. In the process of getting rid of all of that the buggies will be gone too.. Don't be like I was in the beginning and be tempted to leave the old crap in.. Grind it away. And when you're done - grind it some more. Just invest in a great respirator, gloves, some talcum powder and a tyvek suit.

haymon75

Cadet
I have been grinding a lot and have a lot to go. There is a lot of groves were the old glass was. I'm not getting the bright pink that I see in everyone's puctures. I will do the transom when I get back next week and then start grinding again.