1986 Skeeter F-80 Restoration

specter1000

Recruit
First boat...and now I am on this forum...that can only mean one thing. As you can see from the pics below, I have come to the realization that I need to pull the top cap and begin the task of restoration. I have gotten past the 'denial' stage and am ready to dig into this. It all started because I wanted to redo the carpet...

Since this is my first boat, I have never done anything like this. But, I have restored 20 or more vintage bicycles, a vintage delta saw, rebuilt many engines and worked on lots of power equipment, as well as being in the middle of deck restoration. So, I think it's in my wheelhouse. The fiberglass work is something totally new to me, but I see this forum has tons of info.

I live in southern Indiana, so I plan to pull the motor this year (I have to pour new footers for the house deck extension before winter!) and do a lot of reading and tackle the bulk of the work next spring.

I built the motor stand yesterday from the plans posted at this forum, looks great, and will probably lift the motor off next week.

I have to do this outside, but I don't need to work under a cover, nothing but farmland around me.

So, first steps (I think) after the motor is pulled:
1. pull the top cap
2. take measurements
3. remove foam
4. inspect stringers

What worries me from I read, does the hull need to be put on a cradle, or can the work be done on the trailer?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!

Trailer work is fine IF it's a Bunk style trailer and IF the bunks extend forward enuf to give proper support. You can add additional support if and where needed. Bass Boat Decapitation can be problematic at times due to the fact that some MFG's like to resin the caps to the hull. This means you'll have to cut her free. Easy enuf to do but exasperating!!!:eek: Sometimes is only at the transom but other times the entire cap. You'll just have to cross that bridge when the time comes. The rest is all well documented here on multiple threads in the forum. This link will have some helpful info for you...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms. Do a LOT of searching and reading and you'll be up to speed in no time. Ask a lot of questions and keep posting pics and you'll get all the input you can handle. It'll be up to you to determine which input is good and which is bad, but in the long run it's your boat and your brain so do what seems logical and best to you and "Git Er Dun!!!!"

Last edited:

specter1000

Recruit
pulled the motor today...went pretty easy, except for the steering cable. It was a real PITA! I had no idea how this came apart...so I got a big hammer and a steel rod and drove it out! Worked like a charm.

Boat is ready to start pulling the top cap...next spring.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not too many problems that can't be worked through by using a BFH:D

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Maybe he's waiting till spring because of the weather. Can't u see he already has snow chains on the riding lawn mower? Or maybe his life is just upside down at the moment...

specter1000

Recruit
Ha! Got a deck extension to finish on the house...(wife set the priority on that one), plus, here in Indiana...it is getting cold! I have to do this outside. I may try and pull the top cap, we'll see how things go. This boat is just another iron in fire :lol:! But, I think it will be one of the more "fun" projects.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, Haven't you heard!!! We Have GLOBAL WARMING!!!! You can Work Outside ALL Winter Now!!!!:eek::D;) Thanks Al!!!!