Bluewater Riviera 18 project

Rick Stephens

Admiral
So, I will either need the assistance of folks on this forum or of a psychiatrist over the next year. I find it had to believe I went out of my way to BUY a project boat. My one saving grace with this is I have a 14 year old son who needs a lot of supervised shop work and desperately wants this boat for his wakeboard habit. I paid what I thought was a decent purchase price of $1500, I figured I could recoup that fairly easy with sale of engine and sterndrive and even make money off the trailer, should the project be less than satisfactory.

I drove a few hours to pick up a '92 Bluewater Riviera with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 and a 4.3L upgraded to a Vortec top end with an Edelbrock manifold. That's the good stuff. Along with a decent trailer and a nice looking exterior hull, the bad side is every bit of wood is either ripped out or toast. And the rear seats are hosed as well. Looks to me like the previous to the previous owner left the plug in and wasted the cover while leaving it out for a couple winters. Front end is fine, back end of the boat is trash. I think I could demo the transom out with a dull penknife. Also, there is no canvas worth the name. It is all a 100% loss.

Next step for me is to pull the motor, do some checks on it. The hour meter has 720 hours on it. And the motor was redone by previous-previous owner. The actual PO I bought from bought it thinking it was an easy fix and quickly got in over his facilities. He had no where to work with a full rebuild. So actual knowledge of motor and outdrive history is at best spotty. The engine looks nice from what I could check with it 3/4 detached from the boat and no electrical system attached to it. And the outdrive also feels very smooth working it by hand. And I pulled the top cover off the upper gearcase, it has never had water in it that I can see. (that said, I just last week bought a SEI Alpha1 for my fishing boat - I have spent more time inside an outdrive than is healthy)

Looks like a great first boat project to do with a healthy wakeboard damaged teenage kid. And if all goes well, just might give it to him (don't tell him I said that - yet)

Anyway, as I come up with shortcomings in my knowledge base, I'll be asking for wisdoms. I hate recreating the wheel, and I'll accept all assistance with gratitude.

RIck

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Try and post pictures. I have tried this a dozen times, the reply by GA looks to have made it possible. Riviera1.jpg Riviera3.jpg Riviera5.jpg Riviera4.jpg AlphaIG2.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Actually, when the forum returned after maintenance, some things started working better. I just happened to choose this topic for a quick test that worked.

Ya finally got your pics, Rick. :D

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

I'm a happy camper. I couldn't post ANYTHING to it. Onward though.

Got the motor out today. Scoping things out.

Next is the cap has to come off. The cap covers a lot of wood structure in the bow. I saw some threads about how important it is to measure carefully and keep the hulls sides at the correct dimensions or the cap won't go back on. This one would be a nightmare if the hull was distorted! The fit is pretty amazing tight. Lots better/tighter than my '90 Bluewater. Appears I need to pull all the upholstery to make measurements, can probably write it with sharpie right on the hull at various spots. I figured to notch 2x4s and slip over the top edge to hold the hull where it must be. Sound like ehough?

Attachments

• photo208858.jpg
    photo208858.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0