1961 alumacraft queen merrie project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
That design looks good and I hope it works for you.

... but, the lack of floatation foam makes that boat a sinker.

There will also be a large amount of debris entering your bilge... I can see lots of my fishing tackle going through those cracks if I tried something like that, but the good thing is you can easily unscrew the boards to remove them and clean the bilge.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It stays covered so debris won't be much of an issue I also have a custom made curved extension for my shop vac so I can reach everything. I only visit a few lakes and I know every shallow water obstruction I'd ever come across. Mostof the rtime she'll be in 30-140' of water and anywhere shallow is very close to shore or only 3' with a hard sand bottom anyways. But I do always keep a large c02 divers ballast that would float everything and I may be able to hide enough foam up in the bow.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's the seats I used. I used conduit retainers to hold it to the deck that I painted bronze ( not in pic)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Suggestion...I made similar seats and stands for my boat but...I used a couple of bucks worth of PVC pipe and fittings and a seat turntable which I will never have to worry about corrosion. Something to consider!! You can make em what ever height you need and they are very sturdy. If you do make em high then I'd recommend doubling up on the risers OR using 1 1/4" Pipe!;)

Last edited:

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used a later of clear coat on my seat bases and it won't sit uncovered so I should be good with corrosion. I don't think I could use PVC being 6'4" and 290.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's what restoring you're own boat is all about, making it all yours and just what you want. :thumb:

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right now I've got a fiberglassed plywood transom on it. Over the winter I'll make up a mahogany transom and get that on. Still drawing a blank as to what colors and paints I'm going to use for the bottom, dash, and inside of the boat. I had it all upside down once but just couldn't decide on where to go from there.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here she is all ready for water. Far from finished but lake worthy at least. Tomorrow is her first voyage since July 1994

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got her out today. She runs good in a tank but bogs in low rpms and likes to stall when I put it in gear. Above half throttle she runs great. Hit 32 mph but I need more prop. When I was having my low throttle issues I burped the choke and it would pick up rpms for about 10 seconds. I completely rebuilt the carbs including a lemon nice boil so I know they're not dirty. Compression is good 106 111 108. Spark jumps over 1/4". I'm thinking maybe I need to re link and sync. It could use a new cowl seal too

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I used a later of clear coat on my seat bases and it won't sit uncovered so I should be good with corrosion. I don't think I could use PVC being 6'4" and 290.
I understand about the look, but just so you'll know, and in case anyone else is interested, I'm 6'3" and 300# and the PVC holds me just fine!! No flex! Very Sturdy, but again I Totally understand what you're saying and what you're using works GREAT!!!:joyous:

Congrats on the SPLASH!!!

Last edited:

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think my engine problem was I forgot the cover to the air box and it needed a cowl seal. Hopefully its fine when I test it tomorrow.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm currently planning a cedar bench/box that will house the fuel tanks battery and other miscellaneous items. Also maybe hide the control cables better. There isn't much room on that little shelf back there.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I really like the way your resto is turning out. She looks good in the water. Keep us posted on any updates you do. Looks great!! Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.