Sealing transom shield opening ... type of resin???

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like the place I'm picking up the supplies (Revchem) carries Cabosil. I'm guessing it's mix to desired consistency?

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's just a dry fluffy thing. You use it to mix your own to the thickness you want with resin. Don't breath it!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yep, usually takes about a 1 to 1 mix or just a bit more cabosil. Careful that stuff is really powdery so it can get in your nose in a hurry. Wear a mask for sure!!!;)

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the all the help, guys, I really do appreciate it! I'll give you an update once it's done.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up the materials this afternoon and will be getting to it tomorrow ... hopefully! They sold me surfboard epoxy resin and hardner. They told me, in their opinion, it was the best thing for the project. It's a 2:1 ratio mix. It has a working time of 30 minutes, it has a UV inhibitor and dries super hard. I also got a quart of cabosil, which should be more than enough to fill the twelve transom shield holes. Does all this sound right?

Rickmerrill

As far as I can tell the things that make it a "surfboard" epoxy are that it is clear and has the UV. Think you're fine.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HELP! I think I need some professional guidance.

I mixed some epoxy resin and added the cabosil. I made it pretty thick, but when filling the holes, it still slumped. How thick can I mix this stuff? I was having trouble fairing it every few seconds, so that it wouldn't run out of the hole. Finally it started to set and stopped running so much, but by the time that happened, I had it all over my hands. Talk about feeling like a right tool! I only filled two holes, so I've got few more to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Mix it to the thickness of Peanut Butter. That's pretty darn thick. How big are the holes? Once you get em filled put some Duct tape over em to hold the resin in!

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The holes are 9/16" x 1-1/2" deep (through the transom). I guess I didn't mix it thick enough. I was just a bit nervous about mixing it too thick, making it too dry ... not sure that is possible ... is it????

Rickmerrill

Yeah, that's not too big a hole or too thin a depth - imagine if it was a 2" hole 1/8" deep. I like to measure but you can tell a lot about how well it will stay by taping the mixing stick lightly several times and seeing if it sticks or falls off, if it falls off make it thicker. Nice thick, creamy PB on a cool day! If you mixed it for 5 minutes and you still had some cabosil in the bucket that would be too much.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright ... everything worked out just fine! I mixed it up until it stood in peaks. I had some minor slumping, but nothing like before. I coated the raw edge and the inside of the new bolt holes. I went over it well, touching up the areas that appeared to soak into the wood, until I had a uniform gloss. Is one coat sufficient? Should I now coat the bilge area with black gelcoat? I know it's not going to be seen ... what do you think?

Also, I need to cut a corner off the trim tab, as it is interfering with the transom shield. If you look at the photograph of the transom, I placed a red circle around the area that I have marked with a sharpie. Should I allow a 1/4" gap between the tab and the shield? What is the best method to cut stainless steel?

On the outside of the transom, I have some areas that I smeared epoxy onto. I'd like to clean that up, before I install the shields. What grit sandpaper would be sufficient to accomplish this, without damaging the existing gelcoat?

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0489.jpg
    IMAG0489.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rickmerrill

To cut the corners off of the trim tabs I'd try a dremmel with a cutoff wheel with the idea of thinning the metal until you can pry up the corner and bend it back and forth until it breaks off. You don't want to get it hot. You might try using some aluminum flashing near the ends to protect the gelcoat. If you don't have a suitable tool it can be done with a short piece of a hacksaw blade held in a pair of vice grips. It will take some finesse and time but can be done. As long as it's out of the way a mis is as good as a mile.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Excellent, I'll give that a go! I took them off the boat, so no way of damaging the gelcoat. Thanks!

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Transom shields are on the boat. I used my palm sander and 120 grit paper to remove the epoxy smears. Worked like a charm. I intend on fine sanding the entire transom, since I am re-naming her and the original name was painted on. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before she's back in the water.

Thank you to everyone who provided assistance ... this forum rocks!