What do you guys think?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Looks and sounds like it is turnkey...no time investment needed to get it up to par. Price seems in the ballpark to me.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks and sounds like it is turnkey...no time investment needed to get it up to par. Price seems in the ballpark to me.
Your to quick, lol. I posted the wrong boat the first attempt.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope, not for $2800 w/ a deck that needs to be replaced and a stuck motor...........

In Phoenix, I guess it's possible to have only a partial deck needing to be replaced and possibly not need major stringer and transom work, but the plug was left in, and it's been outside, unused for 7yrs. In Phoenix, I'd have thought that'd be tough on a boat even w/ out freeze~thaw. Although the interior looks pretty good:
00808_e6RWOGgJt0z_600x450.jpg

Redoing the deck and getting a motor running are usually the 2 largest expenses in a boat rehab, IMO. If you can do the deck work, and dodge the stringer/transom bullet, AND the interior's in as good a shape as it appears, AND you can source a motor reasonably, then maybe, but not for $2800. But I'm a COB ;)

cheap
old
b@stard

jkust

Rear Admiral
Ok then yeah that is a much different story on that Glastron. I suppose only you can determine the value of your personal time to do as much as that seems to need. Both engine and floor rot together sound like one project too many. The boat is really close to hull value only and that to me would be a much lower number than they are asking.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nope, not for $2800 w/ a deck that needs to be replaced and a stuck motor........... In Phoenix, I guess it's possible to have only a partial deck needing to be replaced and possibly not need major stringer and transom work, but the plug was left in, and it's been outside, unused for 7yrs. In Phoenix, I'd have thought that'd be tough on a boat even w/ out freeze~thaw. Although the interior looks pretty good:
00808_e6RWOGgJt0z_600x450.jpg
Redoing the deck and getting a motor running are usually the 2 largest expenses in a boat rehab, IMO. If you can do the deck work, and dodge the stringer/transom bullet, AND the interior's in as good a shape as it appears, AND you can source a motor reasonably, then maybe, but not for $2800. But I'm a COB ;) cheap old b@stard
I can do all the work. I have him down to 2600 but the motor is what is scaring me to buy it.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not really knowing what you are looking for in a boat, I would say - - she looks like she'll float.

fishrdan

Admiral
It looks to be a beautiful basket case. Probably books out at $2800, but needs $3000 worth of repairs...

Why is the "motor locked"? Frozen and cracked, run without oil and seized, high humidity and rings rusted in place, , outdrive locked up, other?...

Stored with plug in and needs floor boards replaced = deck rotted (possibly stringers and transom too...........)

Those are 2 potentially expensive repairs and I wouldn't be gambling money on it. I'd offer $500 and hope that I didn't get skrewed when it comes time to repair the boat.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It looks to be a beautiful basket case. Probably books out at $2800, but needs $3000 worth of repairs... Why is the "motor locked"? Frozen and cracked, run without oil and seized, high humidity and rings rusted in place, , outdrive locked up, other?... Stored with plug in and needs floor boards replaced = deck rotted (possibly stringers and transom too...........) Those are 2 potentially expensive repairs and I wouldn't be gambling money on it. I'd offer $500 and hope that I didn't get skrewed when it comes time to repair the boat.
Thank you, I was thinking like she might be worth 1000. But this guy thinks he's gonna get the 2600 for her.

fishrdan

Admiral
Thank you, I was thinking like she might be worth 1000.

It maybe worth$1000, might even be worth $1500, but I wouldn't assume that risk. This boat potentially needs some huge repairs and that's where I would position myself.

If the repairs turn out to be fairly insignificant you could end up with a nice boat for cheap, but that's a big gamble.

fishrdan

Admiral
I was wrong my my knee jerk $2800 boat value.... I looked it up on NADA and the boat is worth $5300 low retail, so private party would be even less, $4500 low private party? (Take this price with a grain of salt NADA is notoriously wrong for boats, either way too low for a nice old boat or way too high for a trashed newer boat.)

Essentially the boat is worth NADA, minus what is would cost to have it repaired at a shop. If you do the repairs yourself, fantastic, but the seller shouldn't be making money off your labor.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Sometimes the gamble pays off......and many times it does not! offer him what you could get for the boat/trailer parted out, in case it's more work than you think it is......Another little concern is in the ad he say's the owner let it sit in storage for 7 years make sure the title is in the persons name you are purchasing from cause if not that's a whole new headache all together....

It might not be like the seller is saying that the rings are stuck........... it could well be like in my case the alternator was frozen and would not allow engine to turn over at all..........there is a chance it's something other than a bad engine........but then again it could well be a bad engine!

If the seller seems to be a mechanic of sorts......has alot of tools, has other ( projects ) he is working on......then it is a bad gamble. If on the other hand he seems to have no mechanical ability then just maybe it's a miss diagnosis.......I would think he could get somewhere around 1,500 for it, but I would insult him with a really low offer, then end up where I wanted to be.