Remounting kicker motor mount-best caulking to use

surveyor1951

Seaman Apprentice
I want to remount my Panther motor mount (6hp Mercury outboard) on the back of my fibreglass boat. I used silicone when I did the first mount, fortunately I had no leaks. It just started leaking (minimal) on the top bolt,it is only 2"above the waterline. I plan on scraping the old silicone off the mount & on the fiberglass & redrilling the bolt holes (same size)so they are clean of silicone. There are 2 products I was thinking of using: 3M 5200 which is readily available or Boatlife Calk-online. Which product would be best to use for my applications-to put in the drill holes,on the bolts & caulking around the mount.. Any help would be much apprieciated. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Never used the BoatLife line of products, but from what I see they're top of the line. If have used a lot of the 3M 5200 and It's also top of the line. It'll for sure do the job in this application and you will be more than satisfied with your results. Have plenty of Mineral Spirits and Paper Towels on hand for clean up and wear rubber gloves. It's very sticky and messy.;)

surveyor1951

Seaman Apprentice
Since I can get the 3M 5200 @ the local hardware store. I will go with the 3M 5200 caulking. When I put this caulking in the drill holes, should I put the bolts in 3/4 the way then put the caulking in the hole with the bolts ,then let this adhesive cure orvernight then put the 5200 on the next day around the bolts then tighten it up. I was also going to put this 5200 around the bolt head & all around the mount to make a good seal. Thanks for the advice..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I like to use Popsicle sticks to spread a thin layer in the holes then coat the bolts with a thin layer as well and insert everything while it's still wet and pliable. I twist and turn the bolt during insertion to ensure good coverage. Tighten everything snug and then do my cleanup. I find it to be much more manageable that way.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
Are the holes/wood wet and do you need to let the wood dry out?

I would:
1- countersink the edges of the holes, so the 5200 creates it's own O-ring
2- coat inside the holes with 5200
3- run a bead of 5200 around the bolts, so it squishes into the holes and squeezes out around the kicker mount
4- install and torque the bolts
5- clean up the squished out 5200 with small pieces of papertowel and paint thinner, a small brush can come in handy too.

- Excess 5200 "caulked" really won't do much good as it's the 5200 that's between the surfaces that's sealing it it.
- 5200 can take a week or longer to cure, it also likes to run.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
All good advice. Although it will take several days to cure, You don't have to wait until the 5200 cures to use the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good Catch FD, If it's been leaking it would be a good idea to keep it open for a while and let the wood dry out. Might even put some Antifreeze in there to enhance the dry out process.;)

surveyor1951

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the advice. I will run the boat this weekend, since its only a very small drip. I will pull the boat out & take the mount out & put some antifreeze in the holes & let it dry out. Then I will remount it next weekend using the advise you have given me. I'm not sure of 1 statement though " Although it will take several days to cure, You don't have to wait until the 5200 cures to use the boat", does this mean I can use the boat after I apply the 5200 or do I have to wait a few hours or next day before I put it in the water? This was very helpful. Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you can find it, there is a Fast Cure 5200 but as stated the Regular 5200 can take weeks to fully cure and get hard. However it is impervious to water and getting it wet during the curing process will not hurt it so once you install it, you can use the boat with out fear of hurting anything.

surveyor1951

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks once again. I'll wait for a few hours just to be on the safe side. Very valuable advice!

fishrdan

Admiral
5200 is moisture cured, so water actually helps. I agree that you could re-seal the kicker mount and then immediately take the boat out.

The only time I wouldn't do this is if the 5200 is exposed and visable (caulked) as water droplets will make marks in the wet 5200. If the 5200 is skinned over, this wouldn't be a problem.

WOG's antifreeze tip is a good one as antifreeze kills mold, hopefully preventing this spot of water intrusion from rotting out....