1968 starcraft jet star

Hello all. I am interested in buying a boat but I would like some advice before the purchase. A seller has a used 1968 jet star for sale. I think he is asking $1100.00 boat motor trailer. Is that a good deal?. Before I sign up, what should I be looking for as far as a restorable craft? I have written and posted before and I got an answer of watch for corrosion. It has also been noted that the boat is currently under powered. My plan was to purchase an aluminum boat, sand and paint and re power. Suggestions on power would help too. Trying to keep the budget as low as possible. I don't mind working on the boat myself. Here is the Craig's list posting. http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/4584463632.html I plan on removing and replacing the floor, flotation? And seats. The reason I chose a boat like this was I wanted something we could use to ski and some light fishing. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats.

I'm not a Tin Can man but I too have been looking at Tin Boats lately. To me I think that's a bit High, but I'm not sure what your market is. It appears to be in fairly decent shape but a closer inspection would be warranted. From what I've learned here on the forum corrosion, rotten transoms, leaky rivets and seams are all things to look for in Tin Boats. Dents and dings are considered "Battle Scars" and something to be worn with pride! Not sure I agree with that one but... That boat should be rated for somewhere around a 50 to 60 hp motor. Since you have to re-power her and you want to put a new floor in her and paint her and put seats and possibly a transom in her and maybe have to do some work on rivets and seams and work on the trailer you'll prolly have somewhere around $1,000 to $2,000 in restoration costs including buying a used motor. You can recoup some of the money by selling the motor that's already there if it's any good. That's still way below the cost of a new one. I'd go inspect the boat and keep all these things in mind and try and negotiate based on what you find. $600 - $800 would be more to my liking but again not familiar with your market. Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. Any suggestions on wood to use as the new floor.? Was there any flotation foam installed? Should I add flotation foam? Anyone ever replace a transom in this type of boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Lots of examples of Tin Boat Restorations right here on iBoats. Do some Searching around and you'll find em. Lot's of Choices when it comes to wood and to flotation foam. Your Searches will show you that as well. Everyone seems to have their own preferences and each method has it's own merits. You'll have to make your own choices based on what you read and come to understand. There's a LOT of Debates that go on here on iBoats about those two subjects and they never seem to have a clear winner. It's your boat and you'll have to do what you deem best.;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Starcrafts are well built old boats and there shouldn't be a problem with what you want to do. I do agree that it is underpowered and for a repower of that boat I would suggest looking at late 70's to late 80's OMC 50 or 55hp 2 cylinder to put on it. For one they are very readily available for a reasonable price, They are simple to work on and maintain and the controls and fuel tanks that should already be in the boat will work with those engines.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That particular boat has been on CL for quite some time, at least a month or more and came up for discussion a while back in the Starcraft forum. Here is why I think the little tinny is still on CL. Used in salt / brackish water and shows signs of salt corrosion. The price isn't right and he isn't willing to come down to a more reasonable price of 600 - 800 for it. Personally having repaired salt damaged tin, I would have to say if it's in a moderate to advanced state of corrosion then I would pass on it and keep looking for a freshwater boat.

Take a look at the second pic in the series, right click on it above on the larger pic and open in new tab so the pic goes full size. From here in WA state I can see the rear transom seam has had some different colored yellow paint plastered over just that seam and onto the transom. I can say I don't like what that represents, like someone wheeled off corrosion and then covered it again by slopping on different yellow paint.

Link to full size photo...

http://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_bYd74pWkq3b_600x450.jpg

I would take a pass on it.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
YES to alll of that ^^^ I too remember it being posted a while ago AND that it'd been for sale for a bit then... Keep looking....

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Waterman, are there ways to prevent corrosion on a tinny from ever starting?

The owner said it had been a New Jersy beach patrol boat. I guess that's why it was repainted. The guy who has possession of it now has had trouble with getting the title. I have been suggesting ways of getting the title to him. The boat really can't be used legally with out proper transfer. So he has been waiting on that. I have asked him to let me know when he got closer to accomplishing that task. Maybe that is why no one has bought it?? I have yet to see the boat in person. I would guess the transom was replaced at one point? It appears that there are special corners made? Doesn't look "stock" to me. Perhaps that's is why the new paint. I can see in the pictures that sanding was done...and stopped for some reason. My plan is to go see it, take pics, post here and let the group help with decision. There is decades worth of experts on this forum. Out of curiosity , how can one judge when a tinny is beyond corrosion repair? Thanks ya'll for your advice.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Waterman, are there ways to prevent corrosion on a tinny from ever starting?

Well taken care of and sealed up with paint and there will still be some corrosion but only minor and will never be a big problem. Nature of the beast but nothing is perfect and water will ruin anything if given enough time.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope, not ideal for fishing. Wish I was closer, I'd consider buying it as a 2nd Duracraft. I already own the same boat B-) I'd hate to see it cut up to be made into a fishing boat, but it would be possible. Its not actually 15' long though. 14' 6" I think. Awful deep hull for fishing anyway..... Are you looking for a project? If so, decide what you'd really like and be patient.....

Yes I am looking for the right project. The problem is where I live everyone buys flat boats. So a majority of boats are either flats or huge fiberglass boats. My ideal boat is something like the jetstar, or a modern Lowe with a windshield. I wanted to buy a project that we could work on to save $$$$. Boats ain't cheap. I may have to buy up north and ship back.

jbcurt00

Staff member
You want a closed bow? Or will a bow rider dual console work? New Orleans is home? Or just closest Craigslist city?

That is a good question. Not sure how a bow rider would be. I guess it's close to being a flat boat with easy access to front of boat to tie up, fish ect. In between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

No Title

photo208804.jpg

Attachments

• photo208792.jpg
    photo208792.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208793.jpg
    photo208793.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208794.jpg
    photo208794.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 0