Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You might try taking an air hose and blowing out your grinder every so often while you are grinding. It will help to extend the life of your tool.
[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Today, 04:00 PM

[/COLOR]

Originally posted by nurseman View Post
You might try taking an air hose and blowing out your grinder every so often while you are grinding. It will help to extend the life of your tool.

Yup, and I rubber band some Scotch Brite pads over my vent openings to act like filters too!!! They work really well.;)

1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
Both good ideas for me grinders life. Thanks guys.
I buy this ryobi $39.00 4.5" grinder for the price and the fact that it has a thumb button and "no lock" trigger. Also the head rotates 180 degrees. Gotten too many stitches from 1 a double scribble who left it on lock and unplugged it. Another time when it skipped off a pc. of metal I was cutting and decided to land on my ankle as I reached for the plug. Dumb is as dumb does...NO lock triggers ever again!
And I will try out those methods. respect the tool!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Keep up the good work KC. You're a better man than I. I'd paint it all white and be done with it! :)

I was originally but in order for me to enjoy this boat I have to make the Queen very comfortable. She likes the idea so I'm gonna run with it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I have had a Milwaukee angle grinder for years, and have ground concrete, tile, and most recently, a boat with it. Never had an issue. Also, the model that I have has a paddle switch, so that takes care of it running when it leaves your hand. I don't think you would be disappointed with the quality.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200478998_200478998

Thanks NM! Dang cold here too! It's 11 deg. but 2o'ish deg. in boat. Turned on heater. Did some small sanding grinding and took my son to work.
Got the temp up to 60+ deg. in @15 min. Had to take off my coat. Bottom of hull was cold and my toes let me know it!

rickryder

Commander
I used a propane bullet heater firing under the hull to help warm the glass....shut it down when I glassed ;)

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hi Rick,
Chilly here! I just googled "bullet" propane heater and can't find anything on it. I have a dynaglow forced hot air heater/propane that does really well inside the boat.
I would be interested in your unit info, if you can direct me there. In this weather no way glassing to the hull even at 60 deg. inside.
Tx!
KC

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Theyre called torpedo..prolly what u have already...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...672873?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=Cj0KEQiApIG nBRCFx-idn7-E2Y8BEiQAc6fQbBg9NAVeklALkUCVjZN0tucj4h0JWgaOrdpEz sX430kaAucT8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yup,
Thanks Zool,
Thats be what I have. Actually got up to 70 deg. on my 2nd return trip to the inside cuddy.
In regards to the interior cuddy/berth I'm finding after sanding out the mess I made that the actual color is "white" as was offered at the time of this boats production.
The interior and the exterior have the same color of "off white."
So I think along the line someone shot it in gelcoat {thinly} in the off white. It's not paint cause I have been wiping it alot with acetone. But justa my luck. Always knew this was a color fix by someone but was only hoping.
I don't mind the color but anytime I work on an area, sanding or grinding inside or out...Mr. White shows up and Mr OffWhite, well just adds another challenge/costs.
Ki Yi Yippie Yi Yea!
Thank you,
Apiisnmehoff

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ahhhh, the pleasures of boat rebuilding. All it takes is a bit of money, sweat, money, determination, money, stubbornness, money, effort, money, and help from our friends on iboats. Oh, and did I mention money? And somehow it's all very enjoyable and rewarding. Weird eh.........

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You hit the nail on the head! :fish2: very soon that'll be us! LOL! Forge on!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree...
hammering_nail.gif

rickryder

Commander
Hi Rick,
Chilly here! I just googled "bullet" propane heater and can't find anything on it. I have a dynaglow forced hot air heater/propane that does really well inside the boat.
I would be interested in your unit info, if you can direct me there. In this weather no way glassing to the hull even at 60 deg. inside.
Tx!
KC
Yes Zool listed the same one I have.... Since my boat was tarped to the ground I was able to set it up and shoot heat under the hull and get the temp up.... also ran a radiant heater in the boat while glassing.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ahha,
So it's
The old tarp to the ground method. That never crossed my mind, great idea Rick!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Still have to seal, place, filet and then glass.
A little at a time. Hopefully get out of this cuddy area/which is also called the sole {where the seating gets placed} and start to install the stringers and bulkheads already cut and sealed.
Starting to get exciting! now.

Last edited: