Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice bit a glassing in a not so easy spot to get at ! Looks like a perfect place for a back ache ....
Well done Kc !!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks like you're making good progress! She looks really good!

Don't forget with burning propane there is not only moisture in the products of combustion, but other nasty things like carbon monoxide (CO). CO is odorless and is almost the same relative density as air (barely lighter) so it could move about with air currents and settle at any elevation. And it's deadly, sometimes referred to as the 'silent killer'. If you can't direct the exhaust to the outside you should at least have some ventilation and maybe a household CO detector. Just looking out for your wellbeing. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Rick and sphelps,
Got back out into dasboot today to began recovering the cuddy cabin. As Wog would say.."Newb". I was a bit sloppy not covering up areas where I was working. So alot of the flats and side walls got EEEpoxy slop on it. Today I began to sand and acetone those areas. Really quite happy with the removal process and the look of the gelcoat coming back like the day I brought her home.
Lesson learned;.....Make some cheap easy covers out of cardboard or plastic to cover up areas you are working on and you won't have to do what I am having to do today. Though I still get a kick seeing it come back. Pics later.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like you're making good progress! She looks really good!

Don't forget with burning propane there is not only moisture in the products of combustion, but other nasty things like carbon monoxide (CO). CO is odorless and is almost the same relative density as air (barely lighter) so it could move about with air currents and settle at any elevation. And it's deadly, sometimes referred to as the 'silent killer'. If you can't direct the exhaust to the outside you should at least have some ventilation and maybe a household CO detector. Just looking out for your wellbeing. :)

Good point Mike,
Note that in my particular situation when using the heater the tail end of the boat is open for ventilation. I have tarps draping down that when I enter or leave permit me to open/close. The area is not a closed area at all. So air is always moving. In addition I have a extinguisher at hand and a CO detector.
Thanks Mike Good to hear from you!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Picked up some 80 and 120 grit paper for my palm sander. Started to remove the mess/eeeepoxy inside my cuddy that I made. Some before and after shots. Need some ideas on "what next" to do to bring the overall shine back up. Help appreciated.

Does anyone know what this is? Their are two of them on my cuddy roof, towards the front, either side. I was thinking some type of windshield/glass clamp whereas my boat came with no windshield.

Mikeopsycho

Looks like the base of VHF antennae bracket with an eye bolt run through it. The other half of the bracket will have teeth that mesh with the teeth in the base, and 1/4 turn release nut to disengage the teeth so you can raise the antennae for use, or lay it down flat against the boat for storage.

No idea how to best shine up the cuddy interior, but someone will help you out. Keep up the good work Kev!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like the base of VHF antennae bracket with an eye bolt run through it. The other half of the bracket will have teeth that mesh with the teeth in the base, and 1/4 turn release nut to disengage the teeth so you can raise the antennae for use, or lay it down flat against the boat for storage.

No idea how to best shine up the cuddy interior, but someone will help you out. Keep up the good work Kev!

Yup I see what you mean. Thanks Mike. The other parts you referred to are missing. The bolts on the one side go down into my ceiling of the cuddy so I'll probably
lose this. Still thinking about how I'm gonna do the headliner in the cuddy.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Mike,
Should I also hit everything with a finer grit paper first? So far I've used 80 for the rough stuff and danced around with 100/120 in the not so bad areas.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup ^^^ minch is spot on. I guess I shoulda been more definitive. I recommend Wet sanding with 220, 400, 600 800, 1000, then go to a buffing compound THEN to the polish. Sorry for NOT being more detailed. Gelcoat is a PITA, IMHO, cuz it takes soooooo much sanding and polishing. But...It IS tough stuff!!!

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Guys!,
For the great help! Some of the areas I am looking at will be redesigned with other materials over the gelcoat. But the areas I want to keep for visual aspects will now get the better attention it requires. Yes...gelcoat is a pia to sand and is darn tough. May even scratch off bringing back the gelcoat and move to a paint scenario.
You see...as much as I want to just take the boat out to fish, I need to make it comfortable for the Queen who has supported me through this whole thing. So it won't be a man cave. lol!
Thanks again!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm beginning my search on "headliners" for the cabin. I was looking into a foam backed vinyl, perforated scenario. Prices go from A to Z. Does anyone have some insights that I should be aware of. I've read that there is a concern in regards to mildew getting trapped in the liner/foam and that the older headers/liners are toxic.
I found a foam backed Irish tweed that looks pretty nice.

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=EV133.........in case pics don't show up.

contentonly.aspx
EV133MARINE HDLNR IRISH TWEED LT GREY
Manufacturer #:

$17.21/YD
Availability: 33 YD in Stock

Quantity:

[h=1]MARINE HDLNR IRISH TWEED LT GREY[/h] Irish Tweed - Light Grey
Marine Headliner Cloth
1/4" Marine-Grade Foam Backing
Width: 54"

jc55

Have you considered going with raw painted fiberglass? Just an option to consider because it can be pretty low maintenance, inexpensive, and look really great. Then you can pimp out your cushions.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LOL to da Pimp comment. Big Smile on my face. Yes I did/do consider that. Just beginning my investigations. Their is so much woven roven on the walls/ceiling that I would have to be a sculptor to make it look right. Bundle of time and resin and overhead sanding.

Mikeopsycho

It'll be interesting to see what you find out about headliner material. I just started to remove my headliner in the salon in order to replace it, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. The old stuff says 'Monsato' on the back. It's attached with staples....millions and millions of staples.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It'll be interesting to see what you find out about headliner material. I just started to remove my headliner in the salon in order to replace it, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. The old stuff says 'Monsato' on the back. It's attached with staples....millions and millions of staples.

Hi Mike,
Sounds like you might have removable panels in place now. ? Hard backed with formica type material, foam and then fitted into place.? Looks like alot of todays products are applied with 3M adhesive onto the glass and the back of the foam. Lot of other vessels have the hardback, insulated and removable to access mechanicals.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Is the "Roof" of the Berth Compartment removable or molded in place.?

Hi Mike,
My top/ceiling of the berth is an integral mold as are the walls. The ceiling has alot of undulations. Pretty amazing what the old header installed could hide. I did see a trick or two that suggests applying pink foam boards, carved to fit to help create a somewhat smoothness to the cavities. I'll post a pic this weekend.
Why do you ask?

zool

Captain
Naugasoft white or white pleated head and side liners look the most up to date....you can use luan or other pliable board backed with thin foam and can be shaped and molded into panels for the ceiling and walls. you can even hold them up with Velcro strips, for easy removal for wire access, or cleaning.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OBA8Cff_wNU/TWHZYboVUOI/AAAAAAAAAgE/5W0AOgrVS3k/s1600/IMGP1014.JPG

Its sometimes secured on furring strips, with vinyl capped screws.