Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
ok so the best sewing machine for this is the singer? 15-91?

There are others but wog prefers this unit with its many capabilities. Pure novice I am. Wog actually found mine in my neck of the woods on craigslist. $50.00. Rebuilt it, parts are readily available. He's you go to man.

Singer 1591.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
ok so the best sewing machine for this is the singer? 15-91?
A walking foot machine IS the CADILLAC of all machines for upholstery. But...If you are not planning on doing a LOT of upholstery work, then the Singer 15-91 OR the Singer 201 machines are more than capable of getting the job done. I did several boats before I finally bought a Walking Foot. These two machines are on Craigslist all the time, all over the country. Seen them from $20 to $200. I have 3 of them and paid less than $100 TOTAL for all three. Let me know if I can help in any way. Where are you located??

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
florida , i found a good deal on one , now to figure out how to properly use it lol

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Look alot like the white I keep mentioning.

Attachments

• photo281033.jpg
    photo281033.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Let me know if I can assist with Tips and Pointers getting some Upholstery work done. 1st Piece of advice...Get some Greeb Vinyl and make yourself and Eagles Stadium Cushion. You'll learn a LOT...http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-...-Cushion-Video

If you do piping, use 3/16" screen spline for the piping cord. Cheap and works great. Lowe's or Home Depot or Walmart all carry it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Prime-Line-...oAAOSw5cNYlHUN

I'm a Phone Call away when you get ready.

Buy some #19 Needles...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schmetz-Hea...-/380499183376

and some V-92 thread...https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-Sun-Prot...x37FqktkeYNKZw

I can't remember if you have one but...If not get an adjustable zipper foot
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...ss!73044!US!-1

Well I went and ordered all of the above. Need to grab some trial fabric locally. Looking forward to the learning curve.
Thanks Mike! ps I'll be calling soon.
KC
The thread at .99cents is that simply a yard or do I need to ask for more footage? Phh... never mind..I just figured it out.

chevymaher

Commander
Does the white have a belt or direct drive?
It has a little motor on the back with a rubber wheel on it. That is spring loaded and it rest on the silver wheel. To run it there is a little metal bar hangs straight down you push sideways with your leg. The spring that pushes the motor to the bigger wheel has given up the ghost.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah those friction drives didn't work out so well. The 15-91 is a direct drive gear driven. No belt, nothing to slip. I really like em. The 201's are the same. I like this one too...The Singer Model 66-18. Belt drive but...very powerful machine. Kinda hard to find but I recently bought one for $30 bucks at GoodWill auction.

watch

chevymaher

Commander
After posting I did go and modify the drive. Since that is my biggest gripe with the machine. I did some hillbilly engineering. Took a bondo spreader and made a small wedge. I pushed the motor over to it tight. And jammed it in a handy little crevice. It worked wonders for it running. I did some test sewing on multiple layers. Machine ran fine once it was going but spun the wheel and wouldn't start going. You had to start it with a little spin by hand.

But if your holding the materials with both hands that allowed the material to shift to get it started. This should make the remainder of my working with it go much more smoothly.

Sorry for the threadjack Kcassels. Woodenglass and I are just having a Sewing with Susan Episode. That is a PBS show when this Nice lady explains different complicated sewing operations i used to watch.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After posting I did go and modify the drive. Since that is my biggest gripe with the machine. I did some hillbilly engineering. Took a bondo spreader and made a small wedge. I pushed the motor over to it tight. And jammed it in a handy little crevice. It worked wonders for it running. I did some test sewing on multiple layers. Machine ran fine once it was going but spun the wheel and wouldn't start going. You had to start it with a little spin by hand.

But if your holding the materials with both hands that allowed the material to shift to get it started. This should make the remainder of my working with it go much more smoothly.

Sorry for the threadjack Kcassels. Woodenglass and I are just having a Sewing with Susan Episode. That is a PBS show when this Nice lady explains different complicated sewing operations i used to watch.

Not hijacking me Chev.... I find the open forum conversations informative for me and I hope others.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i think wood needs to have a forum stickie with all this information and topic just so we can find it all in one place !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's often been discussed that the forum should have a specific section just for Upholstery Questions and Answers. Not sure why it hasn't been done???:noidea: