Can anyone help me identify this boat? 1970's Starcraft?

ja25

Cadet
Hello, I'm a newbie here on iboats but I'm hoping someone can help me identify the boat in the photos.

Here's what I know. This boat has been stored in a shed at my wife's Grandfathers house since 2005. He recently past away and no one knows much about it and no paperwork can be found. I'm contemplating restoring it for the nostalgia but also for a family cruiser around the local lakes.

We have some family photos which led me to believe it is a 1977 Starcraft SS. But then as I looked at the photos today I discovered that the boats markings on the photos do not match the boat in the shed. There are no blue lines down the back like the photos. Plus it looks like the boat id is in a different location. I'm not sure if he repainted it at some point or if this is an entirely different boat. It may have been registered in IA first then MN which would explain the differing license numbers.

We'll be pulling it out of the shed over the holiday weekend and I should be able to find the hull id, but I thought I'd see if anyone here can shed some light.

Thanks!

_sc1.jpg

_sc7.jpg
_sc5.jpg

_sc.jpg

_sc3.jpg .

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
That there is a Tinny of the aluminum variety used to catch Salmonoids!

I'm sure someone else will be along directly with a more accurate I.D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Grandpop may have repainted her and didn't re-apply the side stripes. When you drag it out into the open check for a HIN on the starboard upper stern. The last two numbers are usually the year. Since the papers haven't been found, make sure you can get it put in your name before getting carried away and spend a pile of money. Hope it all works out, J,

pckeen

Commander
Check out this Starcraft brochures thread . It sure looks like a late 70s SS. My guess is that your grandfather repainted it at some point. I don't think that bare aluminum prow and underside was factory. If you look at the motor that you can see in the fishing photo, you can see the edge of the square logo on the 70 Johnson you have. Check into getting the boat re-titled. If it is a late 70s SS, it should have a Hull Identification Number on the stern somewhere. There also may be a nameplate near the steering wheel.

ja25

Cadet
Thanks Guys!

To me, after looking at the Starcraft brochures (thanks Peter), I've narrowed it down to a 1977 Super Sport with Grandpa painting it at some point. All three size boats - 16, 18 and 22 - came in blue as an outboard, so I'll have to wait on that detail. But looking at other photos I took, I'm guessing its a 16' due to the placement of the seats and room behind them.

I will definitely make sure the title is transferred before putting any money into it. Last thing I'd want is to get it a fixed up then have a one of the family members lay claim on it or try to sell it.

When we get it out in the day light I'll find the Hull ID number and give an update. Thanks again!

ja25

Cadet
Update: I was able to confirm that it is a 1977 16' Starcraft Super Sport.

After many months of waiting, the family decided to put it in the estate auction that was held this past weekend. Everyone was telling me that they thought it would bring around $2500 which to me was more than I wanted to spend, especially with the current condition. I set my limit at $1000.

When the boat was finally on the block, the bidding started low and slow. It started at 500, I bid at 6, then it went to 7. Then my father-in-law jumped in at 800. I was a little taken back because he had no intention of bidding on it as far as I knew. It went to 850, then my F-I-L went to 9. At this point I didn't know what to do, he had a s*** eating grin on his face and it looked like he had something cooking. I assumed he going to buy it and I would buy it from him. I wasn't about to bid again and raise the price that I would have to pay back to him.

The bidding closed and he won it for $900.

Long story short, I guess there was a plan in place the whole time. Keep it in the family.

Next task it is to go through the motor (70 horse Johnson), replace some rock hard lines, new plugs, check water pump, etc. We'd like to get it cleaned up and in the boat parade over the 4th of July to surprise Grandma.

Then this fall, we'll see about starting a full resto project which I'll update on a new thread.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats on the end result

The Johnson should prove a great motor if it was a runner when the boat was put away.

Start a topic in the Johnson outboard forum if you need any help getting it running again.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There was a plan to keep the SS in the family, ja. But the family forgot to tell you. :eek: Good luck getting her wet again!