is it worth saving

rob3307

Recruit
i have a 16 foot alum boat with a crushed bottom left side of the bow and side as well as 2 3 inch tears in the bottom... its in rough shape and am wondering if its even worth trying to save

rob3307

Recruit
im new to the forum but was hoping someone could help me out, and hello to everyone as well

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If you are looking for an opinion mine would be NO. If it was just the hole it would be different. That crushing is way to severe for me.

Jeep Man

Commander
Looks like that damage was quite intentional.my guess it had and has more leaks than you can see. Sell it to the scrap man for whatever aluminum is going for and spend a few hundred on a hull that's workable. BTW, welcome aboard.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm not a tin guy but I'm with the others on this one . What happened ? A tree fall on it ?
Shame, if not for all that it looks like it would have made a nice boat !

rob3307

Recruit
Thanks for all the replies so far I had a feeling it was too far gone... it's a shame the one scrap yard I talked to is only offering 35 cents a pound

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
You have to share the story about how it got to the point it's at now, I think we all agree she been road hard and put down wet, but please do share what happened. I'm gonna guess it was dropped from a rather high place.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it looks like someone took a pick axe to it.

if the boat had sentimental value, then I would maybe attempt to beat it out, and then I would fire up the welder and repair it. however as it sits, I wouldnt touch it.

do you have the title? if not, that hole would help drain out the water as you use it as a yard planter