Flooring rebuild? Maxum 2100SR

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I have a Maxum 2100sr with a 350 and mercruiser alpha one its is 1996, How much fiberglass material would I need to rebuild the floor from the drivers seat backwards? what ounce rating and how many layers, never done a floor before so not sure where to start, links to materials and what i need would be great, Thanks!

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Woodonglass has a good write up on replacing the deck which I will place below (see post 622). Not sure why you need to replace the deck but if it is soft and rotted there is a good chance there will be more rot below deck, in the transom and the engine supports. So it's a good idea to pull the deck and start checking everything else before you order any materials.

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can also look at a member of iBoats friscojarrets rebuilds of what was one soft spot on the starboard side right at the back between the engine cover and thside at the transom. By the time he pulled out 1/3 of the floor, it became a full restoration as a soft floor means rotten stringers and transom, 99 times out of a 100. Send some pictures, and do some core samples of the transom and stringers after you've cut a small access hole. Hope you are the 1 in a 100!

tpenfield

Staff member
I cannot remember a Maxum rebuild recently, so this should make for a good thread. There has been Internet hearsay about Maxum boats not having any wood in them, but I am not sure what year range that started.

If you can post some pictures, that would be good to let us see what you are seeing and to offer advice.

Like the others have said, it would be best to get the old floor up and see what the underneath looks like. Boat usually rot from the keel upwards, it is rare to see that just the floor needs replacement.

No need to place material orders yet, as that will be based on what you find when you have the floor opened up, etc.

When the time comes, you can get some stuff right here on iBoats, but for more extensive material US composites is a favorite. I also have used fiberglasssite.com

Last edited:

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I boat it the way it is, the previous owner let it set for over ten years no covers except a tarp one year, he ripped up the rotted portion above the gas tank, and behind the back seats and he put down 1x6's on top of the stringers, I pulled up all the wood and felt and tapped the wood along the stringers and its all solid, the only parts i found that were bad were the flooring behind the main seats all the way back, and also the vertical piece immediately behind the gas tank and a vertical part in the bow.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh Boy!!! You really need to do some studying about the "Bones" and structure of a boat and how important it is that the structures under the deck are all 100% sound!!! Feeling and tapping on them is not sufficient to ensure that your boat is structurally ready to be safely operated on deep water. I'd highly recommend you do a more thorough investigation as to the overall condition of the stringers, bulkheads, motor mounts and transom. They all must be in good condition before the deck covers them up