1986 Glasstream Pro Bass Restore

jayhern1988

Recruit
How's it going guys I've been reading and following your guys post and rebuilds for a few years now. It was about 5 years ago I planned on restoring a 1966 mfg. runabout but never had the chance or funds to get around to doing it so it sat in my yard and rotted away.
A few weeks ago I found a post on Clist for this Glasstream bass boat with a 1980 75Hp Johnson the guy I bought it from said the the control cable was seized and the other the starter solenoid was bad. So I opened her up and found the control lever assembly was made out of plastic and there teeth were all cracked off and safety neutral switch wire was spliced with electrical tape. I found the part on eBay and am waiting on it . I started stripping all the nick knacks off to get it sanded and prepped for paint. I plan on cutting out a hatch on the bow where the pedestal is I found a soft spot that has started. What do you guys think of the stability of me moving the pedestal forward a couple off feet?
I plan on painting the boat with something cheap as I don't plan on keeping this one for a long time
what paints have you guys used that wont break the budget but is durable for a few years. I have read a few post but none with specifics.
I also need to find carpet.

pckeen

Commander
Hi Jayhern,

Welcome to iboats! :welcome:

Good luck with the engine repair - sounds like a fun project.

As you probably know from reading the historical posts, In terms of soft spot in the bow where the pedestal is, that is a sign of rotten flooring and likely a rotten structure underneath. While the rot may be isolated to a single spot, it may also be more extensive. Moving the seat will mean you are trading a soft spot that you are sitting on, for a soft spot you will be walking on. As for stability - do you mean stability of the boat or of the seat?

If you don't plan to keep it for long, it might be a better bet just to play and enjoy for a while - be aware of the risks of using a boat with a damaged substructure....

And as you probably also know Pics Pics Pics!

223Shane

Recruit
I am in the process of restoring the same boat right now . I've found that Glasstream used pieces of plywood instead of a solid sheet on the front-rear decks of these boats . Weather permitting I should have the transom and stringers glassed within the next couple of weeks .