Fabuglass Fury repair

sndmntboy

Cadet
I have a 1967 Fabuglass Fury runabout. I noticed today after towing the kids around on a tube that it looks like i have a couple of cracks in my transom.The one on left side of the motor seems superficial. The one on the right is a bit worse. It does flex a little when i push on it hard. Is there a way to repair this without replacing the whole transom? If i do what kind of money are we looking at if i do all the work? Thanks for all the wisdom.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I assume this is an ob? If you pull up and push down on the end of the ob you should see no movement of the transom. It would be a good idea to suspect transom rot so I'd also drill some test holes into the wood from the inside, especially down low and see how the chips look. If you have rot in the transom there is a good chance the rest of the wood down below has some rot too. Optimistically, you might get away replacing just the transom for under $1000 in materials but then it all depends on the configuration of the boat and any additional damage you find. Can we see some pics of the inside and outside of the transom and the splashwell?

Last edited:

sndmntboy

Cadet
Yes it is a ob.Evinrude 60. You are probably right about the rot. It was leaking water into the hull but i found the hole and fixed it.The boat is my brother in-laws and the motor is mine. The boat was given to him so he has no money in it.The transom seem solid but who knows. It is a 47 year old boat. I will take some pics when i get in from work and post them tonight. Thanks.