went and looked at a boat with a soft spot in the floor, should I buy it or not

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I went and looked at a 1988 bayliner capri with a 125hp force on it yesterday. It has a galvanized trailer and brand new tires on it, and the motor is supposed to be good, the guy wants 900 bucks for it. I was feeling pretty good about the deal until I got into the boat and found a soft/rotten spot by the ski compartment area. according to the owner the boat was always covered until just this past year, and I noticed that the jack had sunk into the ground a bit, the boat was sitting level at best maybe a little low in the front even. Being an iowa redneck I dont have a problem putting a sheet of marine grade plywood down and new carpet on top of that to make the floor solid, but my question is; if its rotten there is it even safe to use? I mean, it felt good and solid around the edges of the boat, just really really soft by the ski storage area. Do you think the boat is safe to use? I mean, if its soft there could there be rotten wood down in the structural part of the boat?? 900 bucks is a cheap ticket to the water but I dont want the boat breaking in two if the wooden guts are all rotten! Thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Rotten Bayliner with a Force engine for $900 sounds pretty steep.

I wouldn't operate that boat "as is".

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Boats usually rot from the bottom up. My complete restore started with a 6" round soft spot in the floor. Check the stringers and transom for sure.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldn't operate that boat "as is".
I wouldn't operate it even if I overlaid new plywood on the deck, as you suggested either:

Being an iowa redneck I dont have a problem putting a sheet of marine grade plywood down and new carpet on top of that to make the floor solid, but my question is; if its rotten there is it even safe to use? I mean, it felt good and solid around the edges of the boat, just really really soft by the ski storage area. Do you think the boat is safe to use?

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recommend you run unless you want to deal with a bunch of problems. Just my two cents. Bayliners have a bad reputation for rot from what I have read.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nobody's going to be able to tell you if it's safe or not, it is until it isin't. I'll just about guarantee you it's well on the way to mush land below the deck. The transom is the real worry, if the motor rips a crack in it and you take on water the water soaked foam won't keep it floating. Same thing if it got swamped so I guess it isin't safe.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I figured, but I kinda know you buddy ;) mine was more for those who don't.....

Besides, your name NEVER comes up in the 'Who's reckless w/ the lives of the friends and family aboard their unsafe boat' conversation anyway.

VolvoBoater

Cadet
If the boat has a soft deck it probably also has rotten stringers and there's a good chance the transom is shot as well. With the potential for hundreds of hours of work (to fix it right) and the cost of materials to fix it (you'll need a lot more than marine grade plywood and carpet) running easily into several hundred dollars you would be smart to spend a little more and get a boat you can enjoy now instead of a fixer-upper. I'm speaking from experience on this one, it's a lot more fun to use a boat than to spend months fixing one. Get a boat that was well made and well cared for and you'll have a lot more fun boating.

Browndog10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat had a small soft spot on the deck that I noticed when I bought it. Didn™t think that it was a big deal. I am now in the process restoring/replacing everything. I never could imagine how rotten that it was until I got in there. Unless you want to do a full resto project, run.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Run,

the trailer and motor are not worth what you will have to pay to scrap the hull

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
it's a lot more fun to use a boat than to spend months fixing one. .

Some of us have love to have a project boat that turns out better than when it came off the showroom floor. Although you had better understand that when you get it and not hit the waves until it's completely seaworthy. Fit and finish is one thing but having a safe boat is what's most important.

Here's a pic of my nice Chris Craft parts donor boat the guy told me to just go out and have fun with for the summer. I told him that wasn't going to happen and this is what I found when I started pulling it apart. Oh yeah and it had only 1 soft spot and was always covered too. Completely rotten from the bottom up and double decked

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went and looked at a 1988 bayliner capri with a 125hp force on it yesterday. It has a galvanized trailer and brand new tires on it, and the motor is supposed to be good, the guy wants 900 bucks for it. I was feeling pretty good about the deal until I got into the boat and found a soft/rotten spot by the ski compartment area. according to the owner the boat was always covered until just this past year, and I noticed that the jack had sunk into the ground a bit, the boat was sitting level at best maybe a little low in the front even. Being an iowa redneck I dont have a problem putting a sheet of marine grade plywood down and new carpet on top of that to make the floor solid, but my question is; if its rotten there is it even safe to use? I mean, it felt good and solid around the edges of the boat, just really really soft by the ski storage area. Do you think the boat is safe to use? I mean, if its soft there could there be rotten wood down in the structural part of the boat?? 900 bucks is a cheap ticket to the water but I dont want the boat breaking in two if the wooden guts are all rotten! Thanks

No one here can really say whether the boat is safe or not...not without seeing the boat and doing some tests. A boat that age will certainly have some rot going on, not because its a Bayliner but because of its age. I think a person would be lucky if they could find a boat even 10 or 15 years old that didn't have any rot below decks. For some reason, lazy, lack of knowledge ( or both ), I think the majority of people don't take care of their boat and its really simple to do. Keep the bow tilted up, plug out, keep the boat garaged or covered, and have the boat members towel dry off on the swimplatform....yes, its a boat BUT, LOL, it's not supposed to get water inside. Anyway, check the transom for flex, how does it start, idle, run, does engine over heat? If a bow rider, does the center windshield close correctly...how large is the gap? Many people, including myself and maybe you, cannot go out and drop $20000 to $30000 on a newer used boat...or a new boat...thats another reason there are used boats, just like cars, trucks, bikes, whatever. If you know someone that is fairly well experienced in boats, make a checklist...take it with you, and examine the boat well. If transom is solid, steering and throttle work well, and it runs well hey, cheap ticket to the water. Good luck on what you decide.

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JW,

After following this Forum for several years, I would not EVER look at or consider a Bayliner made in the "80's and probably the '90's too, no matter how good of condition it appeared to be in. They are poorly constructed, short life, entry level boats. Really nice looking hull designs, but crap where it counts.

My bias opinion,
Coho Ghost