materials used painting Gluvit sealer

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to order marine paint to protect Gluvit sealer from UV on the inside seams and rivets in the bow area of my aluminum boat. After looking at various brands and materials I am confused to be honest about what I really need to use and any special requirements for applying it. Some paints appear to be one or two parts, some appear to require primer but the primer can't be used on aluminum. I was looking at Interlux Brightside but am concerned with the different options in the Brightside line what is necessary for my application.

I know you get what you pay for but given the many options out there and considering my lack of expertise in this area, I am concerned about purchasing more than what I actually need.

Any suggestions on a relatively easy to apply marine paint and if a primer is required with it would be appreciated. Attached is a picture of inside the bow area where the Gluvit sealer will be used. Any areas Gluvit is being applied is thoroughly cleaned now in spite of what the pictures may appear to illustrate.

Attachments

• photo202753.JPG
    photo202753.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo202754.JPG
    photo202754.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Are you going to paint the wjole inside of the boat, or just where the gluvit is?

If you're going to paint on bare aluminum you need to use an etching primer, most on here like the zinc chromate self etching.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is already paint on the bottom and sides inside the boat, with the exception of where I cleaned the sealer and paint off down to bare aluminum in the bow area. So I will just paint the area in the bow of the boat where the Gluvit was put on the seams and the rivets near those seams. Is there a brand or two others have mentioned for the zinc chromate self etching primer? Do you know if a particular paint is required as a top coat? Do you happen to know if you have to prep the Gluvit prior to using the primer? It would not be easy to sand all areas of the Gluvit as much of it on the inside seams will be down inside the recessed area there in the bow of the boat where you could not readily get to it with sand paper or other material if it needs roughed up or anything prior to use of the primer.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gluvit is epoxy, epoxy can form a blush on the surface that needs to be cleaned off before painting, cleaning with soap and water plus a scrubbing pad will work.

Many (most) paints will bond well to the epoxy, even house paint, and the big box stores carry Valspar and other brands of industrial/marine paints at a low cost that will work very well. There is no need for a special boat paint.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Gluvit is epoxy, epoxy can form a blush on the surface that needs to be cleaned off before painting, cleaning with soap and water plus a scrubbing pad will work.

Many (most) paints will bond well to the epoxy, even house paint, and the big box stores carry Valspar and other brands of industrial/marine paints at a low cost that will work very well. There is no need for a special boat paint.

Amine blush usually occurs at low ambient temps and high humidity levels, it's rarely a problem during the summer months.
I agree with not needing a specialty marine paint.

Self etching primer is compatible with most paints, you shouldn't have to worry.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While Amine blush typically only happens in some situations, it can and does happen at almost any time, so cleaning is needed to ensure a good bond. Without knowing where a person is located the safest answer needs to be supplied.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
While Amine blush typically only happens in some situations, it can and does happen at almost any time, so cleaning is needed to ensure a good bond. Without knowing where a person is located the safest answer needs to be supplied.

True.

And a light sanding of the epoxy after it cures always help with the paint bonding, it'll also tell you if you have blush if the surface is sticky. If the surface is firm, hard, and smooth... no blush.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
SN85, I take it your boat is smaller and doesn't have decking to cover the gluvit sealer. The rivets that look to be missing in the pic, I assume your going to replace them prior to sealing. Here is what I did to seal the keel area of my SN. After cleaning the AL wipe with acetone to remove the grime. Gluvit is very runny despite what it looks like when you put it on, trust me it will run all over. Adjust your bow angle to keep the stuff where you want it. Once cured I wiped it clean with vinegar cleaning solution along with the surrounding aluminum. Once dry I shot the area with Rustoleum SE primer and then regular Rusto primer over that a few hours later. The next day you can paint it, I didn't sand on the Gluvit and the primer stuck to it no problem. The Rusto professional paints are perfect for applying on boats and is pretty much the same formula as the Rusto topside marine paint.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey thanks for the tips on this! yea it is a 14R Big water SeaNymph. It had some low decking in two sections previously but it is in the process of being replaced. but there was no decking in the bow area to cover the sealed area with to prevent UV degradation with the Gluvit.

I have the rivets to replace those taken out previously and will put those in of course prior to using the Gluvit on the inside of the bow seams. I was just waiting until I have everything together so I can proceed as promptly as possible between steps. I have some acetone on hand too.I will flag your post for future reference before proceeding with painting after rivets are replaced and the Gluvit sealer is applied.I have an epoxy for when the rivets are installed.

When you say vinegar cleaning solution what did you use and in what proportions?

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all of the tips. The boat is a 85 SeaNymph 14R BigWater. It had low decking in two sections previously but it is out now and needs replaced. There was no decking in the bow area. I have acetone for cleaning and the rivets for those needing replaced. With regards to using a vinegar cleaning solution what proportions or type of vinegar did you use. I am familiar with the Rustoleum self-etching primer and had thought about using their topside paint as one option.