Windshield Frame Problem

slacks

Cadet
I have an 83 Sunrunner 165 (16 ft open bow). The windshield frame where the center windshield is hinged is coming apart top and bottom due to metal fatigue. I'm thinking I might as well just remove the center windshield. Does any one know where I can find a suitable port side, front, windshield frame once the old worn part is removed?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the problem, but your pix didn't post.

It probably appears on your forum page because it's cached in your browser and/or computer

Unfortunately, there are some bugs left to work out for posting pix via the iboats pix uploader (neither method works reliably) so we've been using a 3rd party site to host the pix, and upload the IMG code from the 3rd party site.

I like to use photobucket, it's free and there are other free online choices.

slacks

Cadet
Aaaah, that makes sense. Too bad - the pic would explain it better.

Basically the port side front facing window's right edge is coming apart at the top and bottom. The metal is tearing slightly. This window frame edge includes the hinge for the front walkthrough window. I could just pull it off in one easy pull. The whole front walk through window assembly and the edge of the port window would be off. However, this leaves no edge on that window and nothing to screw the support to. It's an old Sunrunner so no replacement is available. I was just wondering if anybody and any suggestions, other than having a custom piece made (I'm contacting metal fabricators in town).

slacks

Cadet
Aaaah, that makes sense. Too bad - the pic would explain it better.

Basically the port side front facing window's right edge is coming apart at the top and bottom. The metal is tearing slightly. This window frame edge includes the hinge for the front walkthrough window. I could just pull it off in one easy pull. The whole front walk through window assembly and the edge of the port window would be off. However, this leaves no edge on that window and nothing to screw the support to. It's an old Sunrunner so no replacement is available. I was just wondering if anybody and any suggestions, other than having a custom piece made (I'm contacting metal fabricators in town).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many boats use windows and parts from taylor made. they sell replacement weather stripping and railing. give them a try.

slacks

Cadet
That was the 1st place I tried. Too old - they said the only option for them would be fabricating a whole new assembly - that would cost nearly as much as my boat did.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is it a flat glass, or curved glass windshield,..??

If flat glass,...
Hit a boat boneyard, 'n find something off another hull you can cut down, 'n make fit,.....
Many of the extrusions are common to each other,....

slacks

Cadet
Yep, it is flat glass. I'm in Eastern Washington - an internet search doesn't show anything specific to boats. I'd imagine that car junk yards may have something, but not a lot to choose from.

Bondo

Staff member
Yep, it is flat glass. I'm in Eastern Washington - an internet search doesn't show anything specific to boats. I'd imagine that car junk yards may have something, but not a lot to choose from.

Ayuh,.... You'll have Better Luck, checkin' the back-40 of all the Marinas in yer area,....

Junk boats, Rarely go to auto-recyclers,....