1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" - Winner 2016 Resto SOTY Award

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
I'M BACK!! Not much work has been done, I need to wait on more funds and warmer weather for the next big steps (engine test, all paint, transom install, new windshield, etc...) But a few weeks ago I got all the boards I was working on done, sealed, finished. I got a new dash cut up out of 1" ply (2- 1/2" pieces laminated) I need to decide if i want to upholster it, or just leave it finished with spar. I started a new job last so I hope that at least the funds will start to come back :lol:. I also have a jet ski that will be going up for sale in April so that should take care of the rest. Anyways here are some pictures of the finished boards!

Transom:

Dash:

Flooring:

Tnstratofam

Commander
All that wood looks great.I:encouragement: Sucks waiting on the weather and funds when you've got material ready to go. Hope the cold weather isn't giving you to much of a hard time. Hope the new job is a good one as well. Look forward to seeing more work in the spring.

Luke000

How are you going to replace the windshield?

I am still kinda stock on that one, I will probably try to get one from UPD plastics. If that fails, I might try to have one made. I think the bends are too tight just to use a piece of lexan.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Luke, you've proven to be very handy, I suspect you could make a buck to heat and form a bend in the windshield. There are lots of good links on the net as well as a topic by Andgott on iboats.

Luke000

Luke, you've proven to be very handy, I suspect you could make a buck to heat and form a bend in the windshield. There are lots of good links on the net as well as a topic by Andgott on iboats.

There is a very good possibility that I am going to do something like that! I am all about saving a buck, especially if its something I can do myself. The new job I got is actually at a custom metal shaping shop as a welder/apprentice and they do a lot of making bucks for shaping sheet metal. I am going to have to look more into the process for making a windshield like this. If anyone has good links, I would love to see them! :)

WeldZilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your doing some nice work. I lust love your boat. there was a 25ft. Lone Star over in Portland I just wanted to go look at just to check it out but, it sold before I got the chance. when it comes to tin boats I got it bad or good depending on your perspective. I look forward to seeing pictures of you and your Tornado on the water where you both belong!!

WZ

Luke000

Took a look at my windshield today during the ongoing blizzard here in Detroit. I pulled it out and pieced it all back together with tape the best I could. I am strongly considering building a plywood mold to form a new one myself. I still need to do a little more research on the process, but I think it can be done. the radius on the top corners is very tight (about a 3-4" radius) and much larger on the bottom and no frame other than the boat to go off of. The biggest problem I see is the piece of Plexiglas I will need can not be a standard 8" sheet, the running length around the bottom is 8'6" (running height is 1' 11+3/4"). One thought that popped into mind is making the new one in 2 pieces, just split it straight down the center. There is a strip in the center with 6 holes in it used as a hold down/anchor point for the windshield and it would hide the split and anchor both pieces quite nicely. One of the pictures below shows where I would make the windshield in two separate pieces by the red line, the yellow dots are the location of the bolts that sandwich it between a pillar and an external plate. Let me know your guys input on how I should proceed with this or any ideas/tips that would make this go smother. I am also going to call UPD plastics on Monday for an estimate on having one made by them.

Luke000

Here is the picture with the illustrations of the area I might try to make a new 2 piece windshield. As well as some pictures of the boat where everything attaches. There is also a piece that goes on the roof of the boat and sandwiches in the windshield.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I could be wrong but the two piece windshield idea seems like it should be doable. The only two issues I for see are sealing up between the two pieces to prevent water intrusion, and potential flex between the two pieces causing damage to either piece.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think that if you can build a satisfactory mold for it, then you should have a shot at pulling it off. I definitely would do it in two pieces. I have heat-bent plexiglass before, and the trick is to not get your heat source too close,(causes bubbles in the plexi) or try to bend it too soon (causes cracks/breaks). Basically you want to clamp one end and then apply heat until gravity(or gentle pressure from a helper) pulls the other end down. Then clamp/hold the other end until it is cool. It will absolutely hold its shape when it is cool, so you have to bend it to what you want.
That is what I have experienced with doing that, but I have not tried it on such a big piece... stuff is not cheap either...
Looking forward to see which route you end up going.

denny shortt

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here is my new boat, I sure appreciate reading about your Build Luke

Attachments

• photo215001.jpg
    photo215001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4

denny shortt

Seaman Apprentice
Just heard from UPD it looks like a 425.00 project plus shipping, Maybe we could get a two window discount

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can make your own for less than 1/2 that!!! It's really not that hard.

denny shortt

Seaman Apprentice
perhaps, But I factor in the two pieces that I screw up. looks like a wash. I would like to find a vendor closer to sc

Luke000

Just heard from UPD it looks like a 425.00 project plus shipping, Maybe we could get a two window discount

Funny, I called UPD multiple times/ left voice mail and they NEVER got back to me with my inquiry. $425 was about what I expected it to be.

I am giving this a lot of thought, and I might try to take on the challenge and try making my own out of 1/4" Plexiglas. I will make a ply-wood buck so I will be able to make as many as I want (provided mine turns out acceptable) and it will definitely be a 2-piece shield- I only see benefits to that, easy material sourcing, manufacturing/handling, installation, etc. Plus if I wanted the two pieces could easily be bonded together. I will write a little more when I am not on my phone!

denny shortt

Seaman Apprentice
These guys are very strict in their inquiries, they like it by email, Customer service is poor but the product seems to be good.
They want a sample windshield, I might be out of luck with that. it's all part of the fun, going to take flooring measurements,and a missing list of items this weekend.