1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" - Winner 2016 Resto SOTY Award

Tnstratofam

Commander
Very nice fabrication work. On both the rails and the flaring tool. You are demonstrating a real knack for restoration work. If you aren't looking into a career in engineering I would recommend you consider it.

Look forward to pictures of her when she's splashed and conpleted.

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Very nice fabrication work. On both the rails and the flaring tool. You are demonstrating a real knack for restoration work. If you aren't looking into a career in engineering I would recommend you consider it.

Look forward to pictures of her when she's splashed and conpleted.

Thanks! I actually just finished my associates degree in welding in the spring and in December I am graduating with my B.AS in industrial management.

Luke000

Well...here it is... after a little over 2 years, 2 shops, 2 cars, 2 jobs and half of my college career, the Lone*Star is finally complete* :yield: with the exception of a mechanical issue keeping me from splashing (See: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...82-evinrude-70-surging-and-intermittent-spark). I have a new part on the way that I hope will fix the problem and allow me to splash next week some time. There are some things I want to do to the boat as time goes on such as get the tilt pump installed, install some interior lighting, get a cover made, Find proper prop for the engine/boat combo, possibly a radio and a few other luxury items. But for now it is good!

Since the last update the side panels went in, the windshield from UPD installed perfectly (my biggest fear), I got the OE table refinished with some leftover SeaGuard paint and scoth brite for the trim. I also installed a stainless dive ladder on the transom.

About a month after I bought the boat I was searching eBay and found three pieces that this project would not be complete without and I was saving them to be the last pieces I put on the boat. I found a NOS 1959 Michigan trailer plate (for display purposes only) and the pi?ce de r?sistance a matching set of 1959 Michigan boat plates. My hull had holes drilled in it when the boat was purchased and I had to do a little research to find out what it was for.

Without wasting any more time.... Pictures!:eyebrows:

Sleeper conversion!:sleep:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks great, congrats on a job well done

In WV, I can run vintage plates, for a fee :rolleyes:

Might want to check and see if MI will let you run the vintage trailer tag

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah she's absolutely gorgeous Luke! You really did a fine job bringing the old gal back to better than her former glory, top notch right there!

You should be super proud :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh hey if you get bored of cruising around turning heads, stop in my hot mess SS thread once in a while. :lol:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Beautifully done! I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
The whole project is great, but I really love the interior. Simple and functional, almost like classic Shaker design.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
I have been following along for quite a while and am very impressed with your abilities. CONGRTULATIONS on saving a real gem from the scrapper! You can be extremely proud of her and yourself!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Luke, WELL DONE SIR!!!!!! I can wait to see her in the water!!!

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great job luke i hope you get her in the water you will love the way she rides !!

Pusher

Lieutenant
That's a classy looking boat! It's a good looking paint sceme too.
Nice work sir

Luke000

Thank you everyone! This project would not have been possible without the community here! Between the knowledge base and the encouragement this would most likely be sitting a hull somewhere. I got a new power pack for the motor yesterday and tomorrow I am going to bring the boat home after work and install it and try starting it round two.

Luke000

SPLASH!

25 Months later I can proudly say that the El Dorado project has come to fruition! We have had a successful splash yesterday with nearly perfect weather. My mom and brother came out for the occasion (and to provide a 390HP tow boat if needed) we spent the day out on beautiful Lake St Clair and went for dinner on the water in the boats. It was a quiet day on the water compared to the day before but I didn't even set anchor at the sand bar without 2 people coming over to admire the boat and tell me how much they loved it! One invited me to show it at a big classic boat show this weekend but unfortunately I have to work. Thank you everyone here I would not have been able to complete this project without your help and encouragement. I hope I can relax and enjoy this for a little before the next old boat follows my car back to the shop haha, There is always the next project, but it will have to be really cool and unique if it can compare to this one. ....Maybe something with big fins....:eyebrows:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congratulations on a successful splash. She looks beautiful on the water. You should be proud of the way she turned out. You did an awesome job. :thumb: