1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" - Winner 2016 Resto SOTY Award

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
When I shoot my 1.8 tip with Primer, I run 110psi at the compressor and 38psi at the gun. I thin the primer approx 10%. If you're thinning that paint at a 50% ratio and it won't shoot thru a 1.7mm tip then it HAS to be the air setting. Gelcoat is very thick and you can shoot it thru a 1.8mm tip thinned @ 20% but...At 40-45psi at the gun. You have to push it out the tip with the fluid control set high and let the air atomize it. If they're both set to low it WILL sputter and blotch.

I had the compressor kicking out 120psi and I brought it down to 28 at the gun. The paint was thinned down 20% not 50. the data sheet said it is not recommended to be thinned for spray but i was told you could do it up to 10%. I will mess around with it a little more with the air and fluid control next week when I have some time off again. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm bettin' if you it up to 38-40 at the gun you'll like the results. Sorry I misread about the thinning. A 1.7mm tip can shoot pretty thick stuff soooo with the right pressure at the tip you should see good results. Having said all this...there are some Paints that just don't lend themselves well to spraying. This particular formulation may be one of em. Never used it so.....:noidea:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I can tell you one thing Luke that now after using that HVLP gun you won't like a roller very much. :lol:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
I still think we all should have access to a crane when working on our boats! I am jealous for sure of that!

Keep the positivie momentum going....:rockon:

Frey

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat is looking GREAT Luke i hope to be painting mine in the fall so i will be watching and taking notes from you !! One quick question on your trailer witch is also looking GREAT i take it you put on all new rollers did you use a bolt thru them or the original shaft that they roll on ?

Luke000

The boat is looking GREAT Luke i hope to be painting mine in the fall so i will be watching and taking notes from you !! One quick question on your trailer witch is also looking GREAT i take it you put on all new rollers did you use a bolt thru them or the original shaft that they roll on ?

Yes, I did new rollers on her, but as for shafts I went up to a metals sales place (I'm n metro Detroit and we have no shortage of them) and got some Stainless rod, cut t up and used some rod caps on the ends, cost way less than getting some plated carbon steel shafts from the trailer place.

Luke000

I think the worst is now behind me, I finally finished sanding all of the topside! I went through 2 ('m on my 3rd) Harbor freight sanders, a respirator filter and a few days of coming home covered in some nasty dust. The finish is really smooth now, i was able to get out most of the scratches, chips and dents. Today is my last day to get a few things done before I go back to work but I hope to get the boat cleaned and masked off on Sunday and spray some paint next Tuesday and Wednesday. I also sent UPD plastics an email to see if there is any update on my windshield, looking forwards to hearing about that! :pop2:

Watermann

Oh man I hate sanding, my limit is 15 min so just the thought of days of it makes me cringe. Should be a good base for a nice smooth paint job.

Luke000

Oh man I hate sanding, my limit is 15 min so just the thought of days of it makes me cringe. Should be a good base for a nice smooth paint job.
I hate sanding too, my body is still young, but the boredom and sound of an orbital sander on aluminum sheet was getting to me near the end :yield::wacko:

Good news! I just got an invoice for my windshield from UPD! So I can start to expect a new windshield in a week or three.

Luke000

Got the first coat of white down today! Thanks WOG for the suggestion about turning the pressure up and the tips for spraying! The paint sprayed really well today with no drips or runs or pulsing spray. Tomorrow will be a second coat, hopefully I can build up some gloss then.

DTM Wash Primer:

Seaguard 1000 Enamel:

Watermann

Looking good to me so far. I only wait 2 hours for the paint to tack up and shoot another coat.

Don't expect lacquer and buffed clear coat shine from a couple coats of oil based paint.

Luke000

Looking good to me so far. I only wait 2 hours for the paint to tack up and shoot another coat.

Don't expect lacquer and buffed clear coat shine from a couple coats of oil based paint.
I would love to wait only 2 hours in between coats but unfortunately my paint specs give me a 12-24 hour recoat time. I wanted to shoot a second coat today, but I got paranoid of getting some bad reaction going (I had that happen on the trailer winch mast). I know I wont get a glass-like gloss from the paint but I shot this first coat pretty thin to where the gloss was intermittent., It looks better in pictures haha.

Watermann

Yeah I can see it's pretty thin, no guts no glory! Hose that sucker down with some paint next time. :D

I have a spot on my hull where the hose got stuck and caused me to let loose a blast of paint about 2 feet from the freshly painted side of the hull that laid down nicely. I can see it and don't like it but oh well nobody else has commented on it and if they do they're not going out fishing with me. :lol:

Luke000

Yeah I can see it's pretty thin, no guts no glory! Hose that sucker down with some paint next time. :D

I have a spot on my hull where the hose got stuck and caused me to let loose a blast of paint about 2 feet from the freshly painted side of the hull that laid down nicely. I can see it and don't like it but oh well nobody else has commented on it and if they do they're not going out fishing with me. :lol:

Took your advice yesterday and got the second and final coat of white on! The paint looks pretty dang good! I got one small spot of a drip, but I will fix it in a few weeks once it is all nice and cured.
It is back to work for me today until Sunday, then I can mask off the orange and black parts and start to give the boat some character. I hope by this time next week the painting will be done and the fun part of the project can start.

Some small parts that got the white

Watermann

My hats off to you guys who paint outdoors, that paint is like crack to bugs and that would drive me crazy trying not to mess with them in the wet paint. :lol:

I think you did a great job, the old gal is going to be a head turner! :thumb:

Luke000

The paint is DONE! I cant believe I can finally say those four words but it's real. I worked in overdrive this past week masking and spraying, and battling wind, false forecasts for rain, my day job, and a landscaping company in the same dirt lot so dry that if you put water down that creates a dust cloud. There are a few small spots I want to touch up, but overall I am very happy with the final product and have gotten many compliments from those who have seen it. This is also my most successful painting project using a spray gun.

The first few pics are of the colors going down, then the final.

Sunday and Monday the black went down:

Than Tuesday and Wednesday the orange went down:

And the result!

Watermann

Super nice work Luke! I really like the paint scheme and colors. :encouragement:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
WOW! Very impressive! I really like this boat, and the color choice is perfect! :thumb::thumb: