1973 Sportcraft Sportsman 21'

jarruiz13

Seaman Apprentice
Gathering information in regards this boat seems to be difficult. I was wondering what size of gas tank did it have when it came out to production. I bought this boat for $80 the gentlemen was going to have it has a project but unfortunately within time he did not progress very much. It has an mercruiser 6cylinder inline rated at 165hp. He stated it worked back than not declaring what time frame. I have bought an manual from this website to help me restore this overall boat. I am getting an engine stand so I can work the engine from within the boat as getting an engine hoist or someone to help me lift it is running at $250 here in Houston Texas. Here are some photos any ideas will be greatly taken, any advice about the floor as the plywood on the floor is falling apart but the stinger seems that it was covered with fiberglass. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
I was having difficulty posting picture even after reading the forum on iboat hmmm:facepalm:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well I have a 1983 Sportscraft 222 osff under construction. Same thing, all floor removed, transom, stringers, bulheads rotted. You will need to do the same thing. When you do get to the gas tank, typically there is a tag/plate that identifies gals, aluminum and such. That's a good place to get the info if it is intact.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome. The best way to post pics is to get a free photobucket account, upload there, copy the IMG link in PB then just paste that link into your text. You should be able to rent a hoist for about $40-50 per day. Took my v8 out in less than 3 hours working alone, returned it within 5 hours and got the min rate of $34.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm you might call a Tow Truck service and see what they charge for a service call. I know several members have used them to pull their motors. If you have everything ready so all they have to do is hook on and lift it up and out and sit it on your stand you might be surprised at how willing they would be to come do it. I think some members have gotten it done for under $100 bucks especially if you're patient and tell them that if they're in your area running empty they can swing by and make some fast easy money.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Although the year is newer alot of characteristics remained the same during production years. This may be of help. Lets see if I can even post pics;

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
hmmm already a challenge
Sorry ...send me an em. I'll forward info over to you.

jarruiz13

Seaman Apprentice
Kcassells I believe I cannot open your attach files, hmm for some reasons its a blank page

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well the art work copied. It's the same information. I don't know why it wouldn't open. just tried it myself.

jarruiz13

Seaman Apprentice
This weekend definitely going to try to pull the engine out so I can work on it freely. Hopefully pull the whole old plywood and begin to analyze any old rotten wood, if theirs any. I tons of friends in the commercial industry that are definitely going to help me paint the boat, fix the motor so I hope everything comes out okay. I did not find any plaque specifying gas tank size. Any idea how to calculate what is a good amount of tank to carry? Or is that owner preferences?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey sorry I didn't get back to you my system was down for a few days. More than likely the tank you took out is what was designed and recommended by the mfg. Location is important in regards to balast and size may actually fluctuate base on how it is installed in the cavity it exists in. You can increae sizes if the cavity provides for such. of course you can always reduce.
My suggestion would be to make a dimensional sketch of the existing tank and get quotes to replace in aluminum. Alot of the gas tank fabbers websites provide dimensional blanks that allows you to pump in your numbers. from that the return resonse will indicate pricing to replace in addion the the gal.of the tank you currently have. tharyago!
Rip that ole floor apart!!

jarruiz13

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for responding back. I will definitely will look into that, it sounds like a great idea. I as well was reading that aluminum tanks seem to rot over time if its not sealed correctly? After moving the motor to the middle of the boat I have realized that the transom board needs to be replace luckily it has fiberglass, so I am assuming it wont be such of an hassle. I think. For an a boat that was nearly given away with trailer at $80 I cannot complain how much money goes into it, for now.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thank you for responding back. I will definitely will look into that, it sounds like a great idea. I as well was reading that aluminum tanks seem to rot over time if its not sealed correctly? After moving the motor to the middle of the boat I have realized that the transom board needs to be replace luckily it has fiberglass, so I am assuming it wont be such of an hassle. I think. For an a boat that was nearly given away with trailer at $80 I cannot complain how much money goes into it, for now.

Nope, your right. This site is the perfect forum to learn, build confidence and approach the issues systematically. There so many people here to guide you that in the end you can't lose if you listen, read, research. I would not have approached my boat without their guidance. Also there is "ADVANCED" topics/search that let you paruzz subjects you are dealing with in order to gain more insights.
I was going to go aluminum for replacement but found a Moeller tank in plastic for half the cost and no prep stuff.. Tried to fix the oldie but was way beyond repair.
Keep at it, lots of guys will chirp in with "HOW TO's." Boat will be better than the mfg and you'll know her inside and out.
Gets dirty, all that grinding and glue but then....So what.
At the end you'll own her. The transom will be fun. Look at Wood On Glass recommendations..they are perfect. We call him WOG.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like all my pics got deleted for some reason that I posted earlier. Did you get to copy them? Also is that you standing on the boat with your hands up? You look little? lol.

jarruiz13

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately I was still not able to see them. So I stop harassing you in regards of that. That little boy is a kid I take care of on the weekends. He loves spending time with me. Besides that I am just a 24 year old kid/man finishing his last three week of school till I get my bachelor degree and begin to work on my Master. In the mean time this boat is the new approach to release some stress. In two weeks I will be removing the whole rot wood, including the wood on the transom. And begin to work on it. Got to love Texas weather, wish I was back home in California working on this.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just shoot me an em at kcassellsplmb@aol.com. I'll attch them. And no your not harassing me at all. This is what we do here if we can. I've had problems with these new pic formats like a lot of others.