Suggestions on How to repair a Fiberglass floor with rotted wood.

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up this deckboat real cheap today and I have some soft spots on the floor where they put the table mounts through the deck. The back area is damaged about 1 foot around the hole and the front is just a few inches. My question is do they make some kind of an expoy that I can fill in between the 2 pieces of fiberglass instead of cutting out the entire deck. Any suggest or help will be greatly appreciated.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Rotten wood is rotten wood and must be removed.

There are no miracle cures or work-arounds, it would be nice if there were... but there isn't.

You were able to buy the boat cheap because it needs a lot of work and money invested into it and isn't worth much in it's present condition... the owner probably should have paid you to haul it away.

Here's a current deck boat project going on in the forum:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...k-boat-transom-deck-stringer-replacement-help

Your boat is probably as bad or worse.

jstatham

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The boat is in overall good shape it just needs a good cleaning and tune up. I paid less than what the motor is worth.

Attachments

• photo204875.jpg
    photo204875.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
The need to remove the wood is so that you remove the moisture that it contains . Otherwise, no sort of epoxy will adhere to the fiberglass. There are some resin-based fillers that can be used for this sort of thing, but they may not work for a floor. Usually they are used in transom repairs where you can 'fill' the void left by removing the wood.