rough hours reqd guestimate? stringers 20' deep v

muskynut

Recruit
I know this is a difficult question to answer, but what would a very rough ballpark in hours required to cut a floor out, grind down, add glass to reinforce thin hull, build a new stringer grid system, and seal it all up? No transom work required. 50 hrs, 100, 150, 200, 200+ Just trying to get a rough idea what I may be looking at to get this done on a an old boat I just inherited. The transom was done professionally 1 year ago. This is an 20' runabout I/O Thanks

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the forum Muskynut. Woodonglass or one of the other resident experts will be along to give a time estimate. Of course it all depends but my flawed memory seems to recall something like 200 hours but I can't remember what size boat that was for. We really like (and use) pictures so please post some. Respond back if you need help with that.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, I would say at least 100 hours, but 200 is not out of the question either. Probably depends on how meticulous the person is and how quickly they work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the transom in fact was professionally done a year ago and it's still in good shape, and all you need to do is the deck and stringers then I'd guess-ti-mate 80 to 100 hrs of work. You won't have to de-capitate her, You'll only need to remove the motor, cut out the deck cut out the stringers, bulkies, and motor mounts, fabricate all new stuff and then re install. That should go pretty quick if you stick to it

muskynut

Recruit
Thanks. I should have mentioned, I would probably have this done professionally. I do not have the expertise to do it myself and would want it done properly. I guess I need to get out there and get a couple of quotes. This is very helpful. Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks. I should have mentioned, I would probably have this done professionally. I do not have the expertise to do it myself and would want it done properly. I guess I need to get out there and get a couple of quotes. This is very helpful. Thanks

It would be interesting to see what a professional restorer would charge for a complete 'cut & gut'. I'm not sure we have seen many/any quotes on this forum, since most of the cases are DIY. Transom rebuilds have been quoted in the $2-3K range.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
On a fishing forum I'm on a guy was asking a similar question. He said he got a few quotes for his 17' single console aluminum fishing boat to get the carpet replaced and some soft wood replaced, and they were all $5,000+

Since your boat is bigger and requires stringers and transom I would think you'd be close to $10k, just a guess.

Big dirty estimated his hours into his rebuild on here, you should check that out.

Your best bet might be to surf craigslist in search of a retired guy that likes to work on boats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, he stated he did NOT need a transom, Only Deck, Stringers, Bulkheads and Maybe Motor Mounts.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
A professional should be able to do it in 100 hrs., and at $60-$90 per hour shop labor and probably $2000 in materials I'd guess you're looking at $8-$11K.

Then there's a fair amount of probability that you'll get ripped off with a shoddy job at high dollar prices, we may not see many estimate threads on here... but most of the time when someone is posting about work they subbed out, they're complaining about the poor workmanship and how they were raped/ripped-off.

If you can't DIY, I suggest you sell your boat and take the substantial wad of cash you're going to spend to have your boat fixed and make a big down payment on a brand new boat that doesn't need ANY work and is under warranty.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ya, I'd say 1-200hs is a good rough estimate.. by my rough figuring on mine (no transom), a pro would do it perhaps faster, but cost at least twice as much, if not more.. and its a toss up on the quality of work you will get.. Also, a lot of glass pros (shops0 will ONLY do the glass/rebuild work, you will still have to do some finishing and re-assembly after the fact.