Composite Decking for boat floor?

mp_2008

Seaman
Screw it, I'll just go cheap and buy the OSB and seal it. Then replace it with the carpet in 5 years. I'd rather not use self tappers though, don't want them stripping out over time. Might not have a choice though.

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am pretty new to boat restoration but I have been doing tons of research for my project. All the experienced members are great here. Its like a family. With the added weight, would the boat still float if capsized? With your flooring plans I wonder if you could fit some pool noodles or foam boards under there for added security? Because those two options are so light I wonder if it would add some positive buoyancy to help offset the added weight of a deck. I will let the experts weigh in, but its just a thought.

mp_2008

Seaman
Good question. This boat would be pretty hard to capsize unless I did something stupid when at speed with the motor like make a hard turn or hit big wake waves. I tend to error on the side of caution though in situations like that. But things do happen that are out of my control so it is something for me to think about. I have it figured that by the time im done I'll have about an extra 50-60 lbs on board. Good suggestion with the foam boards/noodles.

Last edited:

mp_2008

Seaman
I need some advice regarding painting the boat. I believe most of the paint job on the boat is the original paint with a little touch up from a spray can. I was thinking about painting the inside of the boat before I put the floor in to help protect the rivets, etc. but there is really not that much paint missing from the floor of the inside so idk if it would be worth it, especially if Im covering it up with a floor. If I did decide to paint it should I just paint over the original job with a spray can paint or remover the original paint job, apply a self etching primer and then paint it? I will post pics of the floor of the boat after work to show the condition of the paint. Any advice would be appreciated.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I'd leave as is and install the decks.

Paint doesn't help rivets, it just makes leaks harder to find if they should ever occur.

mp_2008

Seaman
Quick question, what is the best fuel to use in a ouboard? Premium, recreational?