Attwood Cable Steering System Replacement

ricksuper67

Cadet
Hoping someone can answer a quick question.
I have a 1957 16' Mohawk runabout with an Attwood cable steering system and a 1956 Evinrude Lark. Can I use the Nfb Safe-T ll Steering System? What other parts would I need?

Star

Chief Petty Officer
You have to have a bracket made on the transom to hold the Safe-T actuator, and some kind of rod link to the end of the actuator to the Rude. A properly installed plastic covered steel cable will give you tighter turning range than the Safe-T with less play!!! Everyone will tell you that it is UNSAFE... NOT! they may need some maintenance but so does the Safe-T.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm assuming the Attwood system is cable/pulley. If the Lark has a tilt tube, you need this http://www.iboats.com/Evinrude-Johns...view_id.168952 You will have to verify this link arm fits your Rude due to age.

strlk1b_0.jpg

If no tilt tube, you need this http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Acces...-view_id.47748

47748_0.jpg

Depending how the dash is set up, you may need one of these to tilt the wheel/helm for clearance http://www.iboats.com/20-Degree-Beze...view_id.482427

uflexbezelmountingkit20deg_0.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

You have to have a bracket made on the transom to hold the Safe-T actuator, and some kind of rod link to the end of the actuator to the Rude. A properly installed plastic covered steel cable will give you tighter turning range than the Safe-T with less play!!! Everyone will tell you that it is UNSAFE... NOT! they may need some maintenance but so does the Safe-T.

The bracket is the one I posted to hold the cable in lieu of a tilt tube. And you need either the bracket or link arm, not both.

I don't know what you mean about the cables. All steering cables are plastic covered. Or are you talking about the cable in a cable/pulley system? :confused:

ricksuper67

Cadet
I just checked and I do not have a tilt tube. The plastic covered steel cables clip to an adapter on the engine. So is this what I need Kit Connection Master Ss - Teleflex Marine.

So Teleflex steering kit 200
Kit connector 285
Bezel, Steer wheel 100
Total $585

So how would I properly install/re-install a cable system?

GA_Boater

Do you have cable & pulley now? There is nothing wrong with cable/pulley systems.

ricksuper67

Cadet
Yes I have a cable and pulley system now. I brought the boat about 1 year ago just started to work on it and it sat for a long time before I got it. I saw the Teleflex and it looked nice and thought about upgrading not realizing the additional cost for the rest of the system. I found this and decided to save the money and restring the system I currently have. Thank you very much for all your help.FC_diagram_steering_jpeg.jpg

GA_Boater

Re-stringing isn't hard. Except the cable will want to uncoil from the helm pulley until you get tension on it. On mine the helm pulley had a hole to route the cable from the front to rear pulley and the cable was one long length. I got 50 feet a Home Depot and used most of it in a 16 foot boat. You don't want to use a spliced cable. Good luck fighting the octopus. :smile: