To sand or not to said? tis the question

Butter Bean

Seaman
Hello all
new to boats and new to fiber glass.. I have a 1971 ash-craft bow rider. I will paint it this winter. questions are 1. should I sand or primer it.(a past owner used a spray can to paint it!!) hasn't seen wax in 20 years. 2. how much paint will it take to do hull one color and topside one color? I`m going Royal Blue for bottom and White on top.. it is a 15 footer
Also is there anything else I need to know about painting fiber glass?

Thanks for any advice
Tom
Army (Ret)

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome BB....you are definitely going to post pictures...Why??? First, the experts here really dig seeing them. You can get a free photobucket acct and upload them in full size glory. Woodonglass will be along soon, provided you supply the aforementioned pics...He is definitely one of the experts...But the most important reason you need to post pics....a couple yrs ago, my son & I restored an Ashcraft that sounds a little like yours...pictures, pictures, pictures...I must see if we have distant cousins...look up my stringer/bulkhead design thread on my profile...there I have pics of his boat...I would give you the thread info but I'm what's known as.....well.....computer stupid!! Look it up, post pics, & standby for the boys...they will be here soon to help you. Lisa

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep ,you will need to sand and get rid of the spray can paint . Primer for sure . Everything else structurally sound ? Like Lisa said pics are a must ! :photo:

Butter Bean

Seaman
yes I`ll have pics up or probley do a yt video its way easer for me if I cant figure out how to post them here. ill let ya`ll know when I post it on yt. today I redid the main wires coming from the back to the front um I think boat people call that stern and bow! there was 3 wire like made into the fiber glass? I figured out the brn and white wire where for the real light but there is a red wire in the same bunch not sure what it is for. lights is working now!
there is wood rot on the little side compartments not sure how im going to deal with them yet.
stay tunned for video

Attachments

• IMG_0720 (800x527).jpg
    IMG_0720 (800x527).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

Butter Bean

Seaman
yes I`ll have pics up or probably do a yt video its way easer for me if I cant figure out how to post them here. ill let ya`ll know when I post it on yt. today I redid the main wires coming from the back to the front um I think boat people call that stern and bow! there was 3 wire like made into the fiber glass? I figured out the brn and white wire where for the real light but there is a red wire in the same bunch not sure what it is for. lights is working now!
there is wood rot on the little side compartments not sure how im going to deal with them yet.
stay tuned for video

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Just for the record, BB.....if you can't get woody to chime in, sphelps is definitely worthy of expert status...and he's a heck of a good guy, too...he will be a "boatload" of help for ya!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Boat?? What Boat? Does someone have a Boat to Paint? I don't see a Boat? Did I miss something? Maybe I need Glasses? A Free PhotoBucket Account and copying the IMG Code might help get pics on here so I could see a Boat. This Link might help with some Painting advice too....:joyous: Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Butter Bean

Seaman
Boat?? What Boat? Does someone have a Boat to Paint? I don't see a Boat? Did I miss something? Maybe I need Glasses? A Free PhotoBucket Account and copying the IMG Code might help get pics on here so I could see a Boat. This Link might help with some Painting advice too....:joyous: Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

well here is a picture of my boat. let me try to explain it better. it is a 15 foot ash craft boat it is fiber glass one of the last owners painted it with spray cans. it is chipping and peeling like crazy. they didn't even sand it before the spray bombs where used.

another question is how much paint should it take to paint this boat? I got one quart for the hull and one quart for the top. is that enough?

sooo should I sand the boat or just primer it than paint it? im pretty sure sphelps is right. I gota sand this boat .

Attachments

• IMG_0720 (800x527).jpg
    IMG_0720 (800x527).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
does it lookok under the spray paint? if so try a spot of oven cleaner. sometimes the bug bomb washes right off cleanup with thinner

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
does it look ok under the spray paint? if so try a spot of oven cleaner. sometimes the bug bomb washes right off cleanup with thinner.

Butter Bean

Seaman

Are you saying it is ok to brush paint my boat? I already bought a quart of rust-oleum boat bottom paint for wood fiberglass and steel. is this good stuff and is 1 qt enough for the bottom? the can says 1 gal covers 400 square feet. how in the world do you figure what the square feet are on the bottom/top of a boat?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google roll and roll or roll and tip WIGs paint info works great w either method

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
i doubt that will be enough, try oven cleaner also pressure wash will some times take spray paint off. if not you need to sand peeling paint off. nothing will stick and it gets worse as you get thicker

Butter Bean

Seaman
great tips all. next question is what do I use to support the boat so I can paint the bottom? I don't have help but may be able to get some. im have a metal garage and doubt it would support the boat. so im looking for ideas.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can prep and paint right on the trailer. But before you do, I'd do a thorough inspection of her to ensure that her "Bones" are all good to go. Boats of this vintage usually have structural issues and if she does, those need to be taken care of prior to doing cosmetic work. I'd recommend core sampling the Transom and going over the deck in every nook and cranny looking for soft spots to see if there's any indications of problems below deck.