1969 Chrysler Sport Satellite Tri Hull

Wishbone55

Cadet
Been through the site and can't find anything on a 1969 Sport Satellite. I was given this boat complete with 70 HP Chrysler Outboard. Problem is the previous owner
had torn most of the interior including the transom out of the boat. So now I have started to rebuild it, with no experience in boat rebuilding. I have started the sanding process but also have to put in a new transom. I read on another site that I will have to remove the top half of my boat. I drilled out the rivets holding the chrome and rubber bumper strip and drilled out the rivets holding the top and bottom together. How do they come apart now is my question. Are they glued together as well? Do they need to be pried apart or tapped with a hammer? I apologize if this question has already been asked but I couldn't find the answers earlier. I need help!!!!!!

Wishbone55

Cadet
Thanks for your response. I'll get some pictures of the project and post them as soon as I can.

Wishbone55

Cadet
Thanks for your response. I'll get some pictures of the project and post them as soon as I can.

Wishbone55

Cadet

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You'll need to carefully pry the top cap from the hull to get it started coming off, a couple of Stanly flat pry bars will help with this... and sometimes people apply sealer like caulk between the 2 pieces when they put it back together and this will make it difficult to pull apart, but it will come apart.

There have been a few Chrysler boat builds on this site, but I can't remember the thread names and the site search function is kinda scrambled up right now. If I find any of them I'll post a link for you.

Pictures will help us help you better.

Wishbone55

Cadet
Thanks Jigngrub. I will get some pictures on the weekend. I think there is some sealer between the 2 pieces since it didn't seem to want to come apart. I was thinking of prying it apart but wasn't sure if it would break or crack the fibreglass. I guess slow and easy is the key here.

Wishbone55

Cadet

Well, we managed to take the top off the boat last night. Took about 1 1/2 hours to get it apart but did it without cracking anything. I posted some pics of this so you
can get an idea of what we are doing. Next step is to finish taking out whats left of the old stringers and then sand the whole thing. At least I think that's the next step.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Whats the best way to sand, anything to be careful of, and anything else some of you experienced builders can offer. Hopefully the pictures will help with any advice. If the pictures didn't post I apologize. I've never posted to a forum or been on a forum before.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics did not post. Best way is to use Photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG Code into your iBoats post.

Wishbone55

Cadet
So............ still haven't been able to get the pics to post but am still working on it. We've continued the sanding and are coming along nicely. Another couple of
hours and the sanding should be done and I can start building the transom. I've read on other boat forums that epoxy-3 coats- is enough to waterproof most
anything. If I use 3 coats of epoxy on the transom is any other type of fibre glassing necessary? I know I will need to glass in the transom when it is in place but is
any other type of covering required. I would really appreciate everyones help and I will get those pictures posted asap.

Wishbone55

Cadet
No Title

Ok...I think I posted the pictures this time. Lets try it again. Let me know.

Attachments

• photo204779.jpg
    photo204779.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo204781.jpg
    photo204781.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo204782.jpg
    photo204782.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo204783.jpg
    photo204783.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo204784.jpg
    photo204784.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The epoxy will seal and waterproof the wood but you will need to use some cabosil to thicken the resin and make some Glue to adhere it to the outer skin of the boat and then fillet the edges. Once that's done you will then use a layer of 17 oz biaxial cloth to cover the interior of the transom and extend it approximately 8-10" onto the sides and bottom of the hull to ensure proper bonding and strength. This should help...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms