72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking great. Ilike the hatch work. One question though why are the 2 sides hatch lids short for such a nice long trough? LOBSTERS?

Never saw a Shovel Nose Lobster; Tasty? That's 2 questions :happy::happy:
shovelnose-lobster-1.jpg

Mark72233

Ensign
The long ones running stern to bow run between the inner and outer stringers and will be rod and Gaff storage. Our shovel nose lobs look a little different and a bit bigger. To most folks around here they are sweeter and not as rubbery as the bigger spinys. They are also more prevalent and can be found in shallower waters. They also don't have a season like the Spinys. Just size limits and no egg carrying females. In post #28 there is a pic of me with about 30 I got on one dive 2 miles off shore in 45 feet of water. Around here you have to go about 15 miles out to get into 100feet and start finding spinys. Most of the time unless you have your own private spots you have to go out past 20 miles to get over 125feet. This part of Florida is shallow pretty far out.

Mark72233

Ensign
The old deck had 2 hatches in about the same place but all they had in them was the port and starboard batteries one each side. The rest of the space wasn't really accessible or used. Now the space is about 12 feet long running from just in front of the engine space to under the cabin seats and can be accessed from either cabin seat hatch or deck hatches.

Mark72233

Ensign
Still working on the deck. I have the last piece cut and just making last adjustments before it gets put down. Making measurements for the engine dog house. Put down cleats that will be PB'd to the hull prior to covering them with 1708.

Made the final trims and PB'd the deck to the stringers, bulkheads and side cleats than screw it down with 2" stainless steel deck screws. Once this is done then I will PB the edges and tab with 1708 onto the sides. Then on to the engines.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I really envy you guys that have the opportunity to do these restos. I have neither the place or the time. Plus I couldn't live without my boat for a year or two.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just love those fish boxes! I'm so jealous that I didn't take the time to do that. Lookin' good Mark!

Mark72233

Ensign
Well I am still dragging along here. Hope everyone had a good Easter. Mine was good, family events Saturday and Sunday which meant no boat Saturday and Sunday. I did take Monday off from work and tried working on the boat all day. My big goal right now is getting the deck covered in fiberglass and painted. Every time I think I am almost there I find more little technical stuff or details I need to do prior to fiber glassing the deck. I am a go a mile a minute kind of personality but with this project I have learned at times to slow down and just stare at the job and drink a beer. Good ideas pop into my head and I tend to keep problems from occurring that way also.

My progress since my last post. I cleaned up the boat a little. Ground out some of the nasty glass and stuff that has been dropping into the bilge the last 6 months.

Attached some 3/4 plywood for the bilge pumps. I couldn't decide if I wanted them side by side in the back of the bilge or one in the back and one in the front so I just PB'd 3 pieces in place. After they were in I finally decided to put one in back and one in front that way if the boat was docked and had water coming on board the back one should kick on and take care of the issue by itself. If the water level continued to rise then the second one would eventually kick on and assist the first one.

Covered them in fiberglass and a couple of coats of BilgeKote.

Put a coat of resin on the deck and hopefully this week will put down some fiberglass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The old nautical term "Steady as she Goes" seems to apply!!! As long as you continue to make progress, the end will always get closer!!!!;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Mark...I can see those shoveled nose lobsters on your deck already! You worked real hard and good on this boat. Pop will be proud of you!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
nice work as usual Mark! I tend to get in a hurry sometimes, I have to make myself showdown and take my time.....and make my schedules more realistic!

Mark72233

Ensign
I finally got a layer of CSM over the deck. Once it sets I will clean it up, sand down any spikes and high spots and get it ready for a layer of 1708. I will get pics soon.