72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks Caverun and welcome aboard.

Wog when you say grid that out and do it again you do mean just those small areas right and then over lay pieces of 1708 about 2-3 inches over them again. The 1708 is from a big roll and what little bit I have put down I have had no problems. I am thinking i got in to big of a hurry and resin was kicking a little. I do have a bubble roller but didn't use it. Hinde sight sucks. I also made sure I put done resin first before I laid done the 1708, I think I was also trying to stretch out the resin. Rookie mistakes. The Starboard side will be perfect once I fix the port side. Thanks for the advice. Clean it better,Wet it down more and bubble buster

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, that makes sense. You might not need the bubble buster. I'd try it first without it. 1708 is usually very forgiving and easy to lay down. Give it another go and see what let us know what happens.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
From the picture there looks to be quite a few dry spots. I'd probably grind the last layer on the hull back close to the fillet (except for the good spot back at the transom). If you try to patch it you'd have to be careful to give every spot a reasonably smooth transition or you'll run the risk of getting air bubbles. Either way a little "faring" with PB can save you some time and grief. Be sure to try prying up around one of the dry spots, you'll be surprised how poorly it bonded.

Mark72233

Ensign
I am still here and still working on the stringers. I got delayed a little due to high winds tearing down my canopy for the second time and finally destroying the frame. I spent some time building this big ugly green thing out of PVC pipes and tarps. This time I anchored every eyelet to either the boat trailer or big stake using parachute cord.

I finally gridded down the air pockets on the port stringer and finished both sides tabbing in solid with the transom, hull and old stringers up front. used the CSM and 2 layers of 1708 over lapping by about 2-3 inches. Some areas have 3 layers of 1708. Drilled out the bilge drain hole through the PB and PB a short piece of 1" PVC in place. Later I will grid that flush with the transom. I have a new Garboard brass drain plug I will put in place with SS screws and 5200.

And I still have some spots that look like air bubbles or pockets but they aren't. Now I can get the next set of stringers installed after I get the main bulk head and motor mounts in.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Marc,

There were three Little Piggies, The first one built his house from straw, the second one.....LOL! Mine blew over a couple of times two. The worst was last winter with snow, slush and freeze ups. I had to rework that thang in the dead of cold cause my baby was naked! So this winter I hope like me you double up for the season weather.
On another note I like the big fat wetouts your doing. That 1708 is sweet stuff! Hey get a pc of plywood to lay down on the hull floor, between or on top of your stringers. It make for a great flat surface workstation.

Mark72233

Ensign
It finally got too cold to fiberglass, its a high of 55* but this is the Florida panhandle so in a couple of days it is back up to the mid 70*. I have been working on my motor mounts and bulkheads.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Mark72233

Ensign
Well it has been raining and windy here in the Florida Panhandle and my new canopy has survived some 40 mph gusts so that is good. The temps have been up and down as usual for this time of year. Last week temps were as low as 32*, this weekend backup to the mid 70's and today back into the 50's. I did get some fiberglass work done while it was warm.

Got the 3 bulk heads cut and glued together. Each piece is 3/4" and 1/2" glued together with Tite Bond 3. Got them all shaped and coated in resin.

I also got the motor mount coated in resin and PB onto the hull. I just need to finish it up a little more and then start tabbing it in.

Next I will get the main bulk head tabbed in against the motor mount and put the main stringers in before the next two bulk heads go in.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mark you lucky devil, you get some good days for glassing and then some off days for other things and you have the perfect excuse! Looking great! That motor mount is massive!

Mark72233

Ensign
I could use a few more of the 70* days but I am glad we at least stay warm most of the year. The motor mount was a little over kill. When I was taking measurements and pictures of everything before I tore it apart the motor mounts dimensions were 9"s tall, 38"s wide and 8"s front to back so that is what I put in the journal.

Later I torn it all out finding only 4x4s stacked up and falling apart.

The front 4"s of the 8"s was actually dead space because there had to be clearance in front of the engine mounts. I decided to just build out the entire 8"s using laminated 3/4" and 1/2" ply. It was amazing how solid the old on felt. Even when I lifted out the engine I would have thought maybe a little rot but wow. The 4x4s weren't glued or attached to each other and not attached to the hull or fiberglass. With the new heavy duty stringers and motor mounts I could park a bus on this thing now. Maybe like one of these buses.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
We got some of those Ducky looking things here in Phila. But your water is blue ours is oily. lol. I like the PB texture thru the transom.NICE and Tight, no sagaroos.
Looks like you figured out your formula.

Mark72233

Ensign
I am still working on my Thunderbird Formula 233. Vacation, Christmas, winter and boat fund issues have slowed me down. Ran out of resin also. I got lucky and found a local boat builder that sells 5 gallon buckets of resin for $102 so I am back at it again. I will take some pics and get them on here soon.