72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

Mark72233

Ensign
Yep, I agree I didn't run it for long and it seems to be running at 100% now with RPMs at 4200 and max speed at 42mph by gps. I have about 60 hours on the engines now so I am getting some use out of the boat this summer. Should be out all day this Saturday and Sunday calling for less then one foot out in the Gulf.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
The inside of that engine must have been squeaky clean after the gas bath. Glad there has been no problems since.

alldodge

Staff member
The pump running for a long time was not the cause of the fuel getting into the motor, the cause was your float and needle seat. The only way I can see it not being those items is either the boat had its nose real high and that caused the float to sit incorrectly in the bowl, or ya got some crud in the seat.

In any case, battery switch is great. Next rewire the pump thru the oil pressure switch. Last go have another look at the carb

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cool that you are getting some time on the water with your family! I think you need to prioritize that battery switch lol! Blowing up the block could be bad!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm glad I can always count on you for a good story Mark! Alldodge, is right something is not good that the carb filled the engine with fuel like that, do the electric pumps have pressure regulators in them? You might want to check your fuel pressures. Anyways, glad to see all is OK and you're racking up those hours, must feel so great!!

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You did right on the oil/fuel issue. Personally i might have bought an extra cheap filter and oil and primed the oil system with it first, then put good oil and filter on it to start it.

Mark72233

Ensign
Wow its been over 2 weeks since my last post. Boat is still running great only minor issues which is to be expected on a boat from 1972.

I put another 10 hours on the engines and getting close to 100 hours total for this year. Even put a 40+ mile trip on it last Sunday ran out and along the Gulf Coast for 20+ miles and than ran back 20+ miles. Only issues I am having right now is the Starboard engine is still leaking oil and I am afraid its from the rear main seal. Not a lot of oil just enough to make the bilge look nasty and have to clean it after every run. I am going to check all the oil pan screws again but if its the main seal that will have to wait until winter.

The other issue is the trim motor on the port engine quit working on the up/out side. Going down/in still works the leg just wont go up. Its not the switch because I can pull the plug from the starboard side and plug it into the port side and it still doesn't work. I think its the solenoid(s). On the port trim pump it has 2 solenoids and I am guessing one is for up/out and the other is for down/in. I have plenty of old solenoids just need to swamp them out.

How can I check a solenoid on the bench with a volt meter and how should I check the ones on the boat before I pull them off.

Mark72233

Ensign
AllDodge, you are the expert on these engines compared to my knowledge.

The issue with the electric fuel pumps pushing gas past the carb bowl needle. My thoughts were it took several hours for it to leak or pump the gallon or so of gas into the engine. The pump ran continually for hours and it is supposed to pump 4-7 lbs psi. While the engine is running I am having no issues with flooding or running dry so I think the float is adjusted right I think the pump kept a continual 4-7 lbs pressure on the fuel line and the float needle just allowed a slight trickle past it and over the hours it probably ran it added up to a gallon or so. I did get a battery cutoff switch and have had no further occurrences.

As far as oil pressure switch I can do that it just requires I purchase an extra part for that and right now I am spending all my money on gas :eek::faint2::D

Mark72233

Ensign
More pics because they speak better than I can write. I saw one of these o bay for $30, I figured I could make it cheaper so a Lowes bucket with the bottom cut out and a piece of Lexon clear plastic sealed onto the bottom with aquarium sealer and bang underwater viewer for the shallow wrecks and such. For $15 in materials and an hour of my time it works perfect.

Me about 10 feet down, the water was really clear that day.

Mark72233

Ensign
The boat anchored off Crooked Island.

Its a really pretty secluded beach with plenty of sea shells.

Back on Panama City Beach near the jetties a friendly dolphin came by and said hi. I jumped in and swam with him for a few. You can get within just a few feet of these guys. I don't feed them (Its a crime) so they don't stay long.

The big nasty jelly fish are starting to blow in from off shore. This guy is about the size of a basketball

alldodge

Staff member
The needle seat leak isn't bad and may fix it self over time, but right now should do no harm. Do need to get the oil pressure switch fixed next year.

Don't remember if you have handle controls or panel. This is panel but handle works the same way. When power is applied to the Blue wire the solenoid the solenoid contacts close and send power from the Red wire across the large terminal to the large Blue wire on the other side.

To test, there are two small terminals and to large terminals. One of the small terminals has a black wire and is grounded. Push the UP and see if your getting 12V on the small blue wire terminal. Note if you hear a click when button is pressed.

If you get 12V on small blue wire, then check if there is 12V on the larger terminal with the red wire. Push the up button again and see if you get 12V on the other larger terminal with the larger blue wire

Power Trim 2 Solenoid.jpg

Mark72233

Ensign
Yep I have the 3 button panel on the dash so this is perfect. I will try that when I get home. Thanks AllDodge

Tnstratofam

Commander
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing Mark. Glad you all are getting time out on the water. The Admiral and the first mate will be headed down to Fort Lauderdale the first of November and if the water is as clear there as it is where you are I'm sure they will have a great time.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is that the only pier on the beach in the pic with Flipper ? I have surfed Panama City Beach 2 times with storms out on the Gulf ..
If I remember correctly the Jetties are not to far to the east from the pier .... Been a very long time but thats what I am picturing in my head ... Isn't the St park called St Andrew or something ...

Mark72233

Ensign
Sphelps, you are right on target. I am just off the St.Adrews State Park beach and yes the jetties is about 1000 feet to the east of that picture. The pier is the small wooden pier for the state park. There are 2 big concrete piers further west. The first one is the Bay county fishing pier and and the next one is Panama City Beach City fishing pier. The old wooden ones got destroyed by Hurricane Opal back in 1995. They are to far down the beach to see them. I will see if I have any pics of them

Mark72233

Ensign
This is a pic of my son out on the end of the Bay County pier. It stretches out 1500 feet into the Gulf.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cool ! First time I went the surf was just a little over head high .... The next time it was waist high ... Ya gotta catch it quick or you will miss the swell in the Gulf ..
Really beautiful beaches there !!

tpenfield

Staff member
The boat looks very nice. I really like the look of those vintage Formula hulls.