72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
So awesome to hear you solved that hydraulic issue, you have a smart father in law! Sometimes it takes a fresh mind and set of eyes to figure it out. I wonder how those fittings got there in the first place, that's a strange one. Nice to hear you got the power steering sorted too, and working like a "boss" as you put it, haha. I'd be so anxious to get her dunked, like arch says I don't think I'd get any sleep with all that adrenaline going!

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks for all the encouragement. Yep right now my mind is racing trying to come up with a checklist of everything I need to double check before Saturday. I lined up a friend to go with me who is a mechanic and can help out with fine tuning and any major issues. Load up a tool box and some beer we have a shake down cruise to conduct.

Woe I think it was me that put that fitting on both of them. While building the parts and pieces I would take things apart, clean & paint them and than put them on the boat. I remember when I checked these pieces that on the starboard engine I had a hard time running the hydraulic line using the 90 degree brass fitting so I ran a straight one and I wanted both engines matching so I did the same on the port side. Turns out the 90 degree fitting had a indention that would keep the spring centered and the indention is only about 1/16" deep and I over torqued the brass fitting I put on which deformed or dished out the cast aluminum piece where the fitting seats which probably seated the fitting another 1/16" deeper. These two things depressed the spring all the way pushing in the check ball and closing off the line causing the system to kind of work in reverse and not allowing the trim rams to come down. Once that was fixed both legs performed like designed. I even tried it out and sure enough when I shifted the engines into reverse you could hear the trim pump strain and the leg would stop. What I have to do now is hook up the switch that is attached to this part that when it is working as designed doesn't allow the trim pump to even come on when your in reverse. Anyway hard lesson learned and my FIL is a hero and now I know even more about my boat and its hydraulic system and he saved me a lot of money that it would have cost me if I had to take it somewhere to get fixed.

G

Capt. Mark:

Good Luck and Godspeed!

You have toiled on that boat for so long, and that Herculean effort was witnessed by all of us.

We will be with you in spirit, the first time you push those throttles forward, it will be a moment in your lifetime you will surely never forget.

Enjoy your boat, I hope she performs well! You've certainly earned it!

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Mark, I can late to your party, but what a party. Just read thru all 70 pages of your restoration. Wow. What fabulous work. I have enjoyed each update. Learned a lot for my future restoration.
Good luck on the splash.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I had to go back to remember what ya started with .. Needless to say you did a terrific job !

Mark72233

Ensign
Well I made it back in one piece and so did the boat. Murphy was certainly riding with me today. First thing this morning I was checking fluids and realized I hadn't checked the oil in either engine in a long while since all I was doing was running them on the hose every now and than and only racked up 3 hours on each engine well the port side oil looked like chocolate milk, awesome. Checked each plug and cylinder and no signs of water so I don't know if it's the manifold, elbow, head, head gasket, block? Any other places it could come from. No water in the cylinders so I don't think manifold or elbow but if it was head or head gasket I should have water in cylinder(s)? Changed the oil and filter and ran it on the house and oil looks ok with a little residual water that was still in any oil still in the engine. Long story shorter on that is I ran the engine for an hour and a half once I got the other issues I had worked out and so far oil looks ok.

Mark72233

Ensign
Ok so ran up both engines again, checked oil, looks good checked timing looks good. Both started and ran on the hose for 10-15 minutes no issues so off to the boat ramp at about 1030am where I knew it was going to be a circus my buddy Bill along for mechanical support. Boat ramp was busy but my dad taught me how to properly have everything loaded and ready to go before you pull up and launch so it was quick and easy. Backed into the water, jumped in the boat, lowered the engines yada yada yada you know the rest get it off the trailer and Bill pulls away, parks and jumps in the boat in less than 2 minutes so far so good, start easing out of the basin and the port engine quits for no apparent reason and starts up for a few and dies. So we get out into the bay out of the boat traffic and start working on it long story longer it's a fuel issue tracked it down to the gasket in the fuel pump is all swelled up and out of sorts and I think blocking the flow of fuel. I ran gas with ethanol in the boat for those first few hours of running and Bill swears it will swell up gaskets and cause havoc. The boat now has about 40 gallons of ethanol free gas so no more issues. Anyway ran the starboard engine which won't get it up on plan by itself but at least I could run it under a load and it performed excellently with no issues. Went back to the ramp on one engine, sent Bill to the auto parts store and no one stocks this rubber gasket which was not useable again so after putting around on one engine waiting on Bill we pulled it out of the water which also went well and drove it right up on the trailer like I knew what I was doing and we pulled over to the side and popped a top on a couple of beers and celebrated the positives. The starboard engine is running like a champ, non of the 6 bellows leaked water neither did either of the transom plates or engines so it didn't take on water and sink and besides seeming to have fuel starvation issues nothing else broke on the port engine and the oil still looked ok.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not sinking is a good thing .. :lol: At least you were able to putt around some with just the one motor .... But a splash is a splash no matter what happens .. ;)
Congratulations ! Looking forward to splash #2 !
Now I know ya got a pic or two of her in the water ....

Mark72233

Ensign
Ok so back to the house, found an old pump with a gasket that was in good shape so fixed that issue but still had some issues with what seems to be the carb on the port engine so I switched out the carbs and both engines are running ok but the starboard engine seems to be running a little rougher so I think that carb needs taken apart and check float settings, maybe trash in the bowl or jet. Anyway went and bought another engine muff so I could run both on the hose at the same time to see if the one line from the fuel tank wasn't getting enough fuel to both engines at the same time but did that and no issues or problem so me and my son loaded up, Bill had gone home already. Me and Drew headed back to the ramp which was still busy this time by myself didn't get out of there as quick but no real issues. Both engines started and ran so fingers crossed we head out into the bay. Got clear and pushed both throttles and bam we are on plane and doing 30mph. Now you have to understand my son has Asperger's syndrome which means he has autism but is high functioning but certain things make him nervous. Loud noises and boats on plane so while I was having a blast him not so much. I have a video but it won't load into photobucket. Anyway I still have issues, port engine will only get 3100rpm max, starboard 3600rpm max I should get about 4200 max RPMs. Starboard engine would quit if I pushed throttles to the wall. Engine would be fine climbing RPMs and speed and once it was just about max it would die again like its starved for fuel so again carb needs to be looked at. RPMs is another issue I need to check timing again because the port engine sometimes backfired when I pushed the throttles hard but over all they ran better and cruised around at 2600rpms at 24mph, 3000 RPMs at 30mph. Top speed is slow because I can't get both RPMs maxed out so it would only top at 35mph. But still fun to have it cruising around. Oh and sharp turns at speed he doesn't like either. Took all my fun away😜.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Awesome ! With your son at the helm that makes it all worth the effort .. Even with all the hiccups it looked like a great day !

Mark72233

Ensign
WOG, I didn't wear my Splash shirt because I still consider both of these runs shake down cruises not a splash. Once I get all the bugs worked out and have the entire family on board that will be the official splash 😜

alldodge

Staff member
Sure looking good, glad your having some fun after all the work.

Backfiring and lack of full power to me is there running lean. There should be no crud in the carbs after all the work you did, but something is not getting the motors enough fuel.

In my opinion

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well that sucks, but you for sure don't want to ruin an engine. Hope you can splash in the next day or so!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Got to love those crazy autistic kids!! LOL!! My son has all the same alphabet letter medical decriptions also. Quite a unique person they are! Glad to see everyone out in the boat!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol, not sure why I didn't see the post on the splash......that is really weird. Anyhow congrats on the splash. Seems like there are always the bugs to work out, but seeing that boat in the water is cool!