72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

alldodge

Staff member
Pretty cool, I was just searching images.
I do have a triple that I took off my 502 and went serpentine, but all pulleys are the same size. The smaller one will take less ponies from the motor when running

Mark72233

Ensign
Woe, I tried the 2 pulleys I had both failed the hit the front motor mount so I bought that one you found, thanks for finding that and I hope it works. Once that problem is solved I can get back to why is the steering ram not working.

Mark72233

Ensign
Still not much going on. I ordered and received the 3 belt pulley. Tried to install it during lunch yesterday but it is not going to squeeze between the bottom of the water pump and the top of the front motor mount so I will have to loosen bolts and pry up the engine to create enough room and than hopefully it will work, fingers crossed.

Ordered hinges for the engine dog box and finished fiberglassing plywood into it to replace old rotted wood and for the hinges to screw into. I still need to do finish work to it by filling in chipped spots and priming and painting the dog box and 2 hatches as well as the large panel that goes across the transom area that conceals all the wires, cables and hoses.

I got the new bulk head that goes in the front of the cabin that separated the anchor locker and cabin. I made a couple of small cubbies into the bulk head for dry storage. I fiberglassed the boxes on the outside so they will stay dry. I peanut buttered and screwed this piece into place and put a couple of layers of CSM to water proof it so water wont run from the anchor locker side into the cabin. When I finish out the cabin in carpet this will also get covered as well with some teak to finish out the openings.

Trying to get the father in law to drive over from where he lives about 100 miles away and help with the hydraulic issues. If I can get the rams for the legs working and the steering working I might try and get this tub and trailer registered and put her in the water this week or next.

I have decided to heck with painting this dog box and hatches I can live with those ugly pieces while I use her this summer and finish things up on weeks where its rough or weather may be bad. After 2 years and all this beautiful weather lately I am loosing patience, 87* high today, blowing 2 knots with 1 footers or less. I would attach a couple of pics but photo buckets is screwy right now.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hear you Mark, you gotta get her on the water! The ability to tilt the legs and steer are kinda important, so hopefully you can get that figured out, then splash her and enjoy her.

Photobucket's been a real PITA lately.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hear you Mark, I'm having a hard time focusing on fuggly.....getting Miss Morgan out is really tempting! Weekend after next she is going to get wet for teh first time this year. Still hoping to get Fuggly in the lake too. I though it was just me fighting with Photobucket!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's go time!! Whatever it takes to get 'er in! Unfortunately my efforts keep getting delayed with other projects, (helping my parents out around the house mostly). Weather hasn't really warmed up much around here in NY, still mostly in the 60's. So at least for me the best boating weather has still yet to hit, but I know it's right around the corner. Biggest thing holding me up right now is painting the drive, and building a dogbox. Otherwise I really don't care too much about interior being pretty right now, I just want everything rock solid and functional. Just frustrating finding time to work on my boat lately :mad-new:. I have a lot of ground to make up. lol I needed to vent...sorry.

I hope that pulley works out for you Mark, looking forward to seeing you splash your rig soon!!! :):thumb:

Mark72233

Ensign
The back side of the bulkhead with storage boxes

Bulkhead installed .

Pictures off the Internet of our jetties and State Park Shell Island. The island part of the state park in the back ground the main land side in the foreground left side of the frame. The next pictures looks like the Gulf just outside the jetties where swimmers are harassing and molesting the Dolphins. When the boat was running 14-15 years ago this wasn't illegal and we swam with them all the time. The Dolphins love being around people and it wasn't about the food because we wouldn't feed them and they would hang out with us for a long time. Now you do this and it's illegal and you get a expensive ticket from the grouper troopers. Use to be Florida Marine Patrol now it's FWC or Florida Fish Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Mark you and Sphelps live where there are some beautiful waters, and some wonderdul wildlife. Ticketed for swimming with dolphins. Really!
It's almost like people forget people and animals have interacted for thousands of years.:facepalm: Looky no touchy dolphins bad.:nono:

By the way your boat is looking awesome. :rockon: Good luck on getting her splashed soon.

Mark72233

Ensign
The father in law came over this morning and started trying to figure out the hydraulic issues. He went through all the same things I had and double checked all the lines and basically everything I had done that was the first 2 hours. You could tell he likes trying to figure out problems. We took the gauge I had purchased and hooked it up to one side of the down or in side of the ram and I actuated the pump. We should have had 400-600 PSI but instead peaked out at almost 5000 psi which was 2400 psi higher than even the high pressure side should be let alone the low side. He deducted that it was the reverse lock valve which basically doesn't allow the leg to go up and out while the shifter is in reverse. It turns out the brass fitting that holds the 2 check balls and springs in place was the wrong kind. I had two old ones on the shelf and he took them apart and realized that the fittings had a small indent for the larger spring to sit down in. The other wrong fitting was flat which would than depress the spring about maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch to far or tight and no fluid would pass through. He changed out the fitting and I put everything back together and Bingo the Rams work perfectly up and down and he bet me the other engine would have the same issue and sure enough it did. Changed it out and rebuilt the blown up ram and Bingo it worked perfect. I could have kissed him as he stood there with his satisfied grin on his face. Now onto the power steering issues.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Awesome!!! Like they say " the devil is in the details...." Glad you got them figured out!

Mark72233

Ensign
I installed the new 3 belt pulley which was fun because I had to disconnect the front motor mount and pry the engine up to squeeze the pulley between the top of the motor mount and the bottom of the water pump. Once that was done than measured for a new belt and off to the auto parts store for another $20 belt. Got that done and cranked up the engine and no power steering but at least the belt issue was resolved. Pulled the high pressure hose off and cranked the engine and should of had fluid spraying everywhere but nothing so it ended up being a bad pump. Luckily in the spare parts I had another pump minus the pulley. Pulled the bad pump and exchanged the pulley and put everything back in and started it up and Bam I have power steering like a Boss. So I went down to the tag office and got the title for the boat and trailer switched from my dads name to mine. I had to have my mom sign everything as the surviving spouse. It was a bitter sweet moment because it's coming up on the 6 year anniversary of my dads passing but I was very proud to see my name on the title and now the boat and trailer are registered and good to go until August 2017. So right now the plan is this Saturday I am taking this tub for shake down cruise.

Mark72233

Ensign
Everything else I need to do is just cosmetics painting dog boxes and hatches and finishing up the cabin interior but I can always do all that later. Time for fun and fishing. Spending some money at the pumps on some 90 octane Ethanol free gas. Her first official short road trip.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Awesome !!
I had to bring my mother down to the tag agency to do the same with my dads boat ... You always wish they were still around to see them refurbished and get launched again ... I know your father would be proud of the job you have done ...
Time to go catch dinner !! :fish2:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with all previous statements I await the footage, Boat looks great And I know your Dad would be extremely proud. Good luck on Saturday

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Very cool Mark, I'm happy to see you are almost splashed! Now the question is will you sleep any between now and Saturday! lol, I couldn't wait to get Miss Morgan in the first time!