72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

goin70

Cadet
I also top coated the bottom with Interlux VC Epoxy Paint. They make this in a antifouling and a paint designed for rack stored or trailer boats. I did not need antifouling and the boat has been trailered with excellent results. The paint also has a unique additives that makes it a special product for Fast boats. My boat runs along very well and the paint has been tough as nails and looks great. Please check it out and let me know if I can help.

alldodge

Staff member
Only problem I have with the setup is concrete blocks, many have been hurt with one of those cracking. If it was made from blocks of wood then no worries

Mark72233

Ensign
goin70 thanks for the info I will check it out.

AllDodge that was my concern also and the warning were in some of the things I read. I am going to get some railroad ties and try cutting them short for cribbing it better.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mark, hope you had a happy thanksgiving! Good to see some updates, too bad about those rams - good idea to move on for the time being. Good pictures of the hull, boy is it gonna look so nice when you're finished with her. A hull worthy of restoration indeed!
(P.S. I need to move to a warmer location, these NE winter's are cramping my style :smow:)

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mark, looks like a lot of work ahead on that hull but If it starts getting ya down, just take a little time to reflect on the great job you did on the transom and think that it won't be long until the whole boat looks that good. Can't wait to see it all done.

Keep up the good work!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Get Rid of the Concrete ASAP!!! NOT GOOD!!!! Are you using thickened epoxy as a filler??

Mark72233

Ensign
Woe thanks for the encouragement and sometimes I wish for some cold weather and snow but than I come back to my senses, it's 70+* here again today.

Mark72233

Ensign
89resorter trust me I can't wait to get the paint done either and get moving in this thing.

Wood I hear ya, getting the railroad ties today and tossing the concrete blocks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You have the blocks turned the correct way at least ... You run into trouble when they are stacked on there sides ... They will not hold weight that way . They are designed to hold weight just how you have them ... This is how they place them under mobile homes with no problems ... But I do agree if ya can get some r/r ties it would be better ...

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood, I used the poly resin and 3m Glass Bubbles with a little fairing compound not Epoxy to back fill all these Dremeled out areas, please tell me that I am not going to see failures in a year or two :facepalm:.

Mark72233

Ensign
No work on the boat this weekend but I did get some time into the trailer. The trailer is a tandem trailer we bought locally back in the 90's. Its Galvanized and is not in overall bad shape. The 4 sets of springs fell apart when I removed the U bolts so they have to be replaced. The local trailer place I went to only had 1 set of 4 leaf springs and has ordered a second set so only 1 axle is back on the trailer. The 4 rollers also need replaced along with the lights, bunk boards and bunk board holders. I also purchased a new motorized winch and 5 new tires so I can now have a spare tire. Once the trailer is done I will pull the hubs and check the bearings and if they look ok I will just repack the grease and that will be that, they have bearing buddies so I am hoping for the best. I painted the entire trailer with Rustoleum Cold Galvanized spray paint which took about 8 cans. I replaced the 4 rollers with the yellow none marking style rollers. Replaced the lights with some submersible lights but those never seem to last more than a season or two. Running the wires for the lights but the wires aren't long enough for my trailer I guess I should have made sure I ordered a set long enough for a trailer this long :facepalm:. I don't know how I am going to mount the power winch when I get to that. I will take some pictures and get them posted because I know without pics none of this is true :nono::shocked:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
It just doesn't stop Guy. I'm doing the same with mine since I can't glass over the winter months. Pulled out some upolstery this weekend to address also. Trailers has been like the boat. Almost everything needed replaced or attention. Keep up the good work. And yes we need pictures. Lol

Mark72233

Ensign
Well I don't really have any good before pics of the trailer here are 2 with the boat sitting on it. You can see the 25 year old flat tires and the home made guide on's.

I got most of the work done now. Lights are on and working. All the rollers are on now just waiting on the second set of springs so I can attach the second axle. I also need to buy 2x6s for the bunk boards and buy some bunk board carpet. I am guessing the boards should be treated.

Mark72233

Ensign
Taillights on and working.

Got the bow roller bracket and new bow roller installed along with the new 5,000lb winch now moving on to the bunks while I wait on the springs to get delivered. What do you recommend to attach carpet to the bunk boards. Stainless steel staples?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Trailer looks great Mark!! Keep up the good work Sir!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work ! Yep s/s staples .. I have also used small s/s screws with washers screwed underneath the bunks ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I used monel staples Mark. I couldn't find stainless around here. Not sure how they do in saltwater, but have worked on my trailers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I order my SS staples from Ebay. I also glued the Bunk carpet on with Solvent Based Contact cement. I used two coats of the cement on both the carpet and the wood. I then Sprayed the carpet heavily with ScotchGuard Water Shield

scotchgardtm-outdoor-water-shield.jpg