New boat project, wood repair

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Waiting on a common bus bar to arrive so I can move forward on the wiring. Rain in the forecast so I ran out and bought a decent cover. I definitely don't want to reverse any work that has been done up to this point.

Make sure you have a way to prop up the cover in the center areas of the boat so the water can drip off the cover easily. If the cover is not tight and water starts pooling in areas of the cover it could pull it off or tear it or get water in the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How much CSM did you get? What's it for? What's the Kitty Hair For? How much of it did you get?

Last edited:

jjack010

Seaman
I have a gallon of kitty hair. It will be used to fill in small gaps and imperfections when fitting the deck and flotation chamber. Can I use this as an adhesive also, for the deck and flotation chamber? I have 3 sq yds of CSM. I'm using it to glass in the deck and flotation chamber. I understand I will need more. I'd like to try this out before buying a bunch of it. Should I cover both sides of the deck with the CSM? Inside and outside of the flotation chamber?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Did you not read the link posted in Post # 31? It has all the details you need to know about fabricating and installing your deck. Buying the "Kitty Hair" is much more expensive than making your own. Before you're done you'll prolly need about 10-15 sq. yds of CSM

jjack010

Seaman
I just went back and read it for the 6th time. Thanks for being patient. Learning a lot and enjoying every minute of it.

jjack010

Seaman
Started glassin the floatation chamber tonight. If the weather cooperates I'll have it in tomorrow and can move on.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
We really need pics from a distance so we can see the whole "enchilada" ... but by the way you describe it, and without the pics.. it sounds like you may be able to rub a little boiled linseed oil on everything (it has magical properties) and all of your boating wishes, hopes, and dreams will come true!

... but seriously, your boat is more than likely a bloody rotter and needs a total restore judging from the pics on page one. Transom, stringers, new foam, and new decking. Don't short-change yourself, do the "right thing" and make your boat safe and seaworthy for yourself and your passengers.

tpenfield

Staff member
This thread is being 'picture starved' . . . it is tough to comment on just the descriptions. Plus, I don't know how to read . . . I just look at the pictures :D

jjack010

Seaman
Is there another way to keep the air bubbles out of the CSM, other than a bubble buster? Ill get some pics up soon.

jjack010

Seaman
Waiting for the Flotation chamber to cure. Definitely work of a rookie. I haven't worked with fiberglass since I was 15 and I didn't know what I was doing then either. :) For attaching this to the stern, should I tab it in with the CSM or can I lay a bed of kitty hair and sit the chamber on top to affix to the hull?