1962 Starcraft Starchief HERE WE GO!!!!

Well we bought a fixer upper mainly because new boats are way over priced. It is in bad shape but ready for the work load.

Biggest problem is the crack in the lower unit on the 1970 65 Mercury, and the boat has a crack down the fold about 2 feet long. Going to need
a tig welder to look at it. Transom needs replacing, the floor and the interior cabin. And paint the whole boat navy blue.

Trailer is OEM and in great shape. Just wiring and paint there. New wheels and bearings.

Motor I will need lots of help I am sure.
And once I get some pics of the damage I would love some feedback!!

We are 5 minutes from the lower Niagara River launch and are going to catch lots of big fish in this baby.

Cheers,

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
If that crack in the hull is close to a seam you don't want to weld it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pix when you can. 18ft Starchief? The 650 might get the job done, sort of, but is likely undersized by about half for your Starchief. Welcome to the Tin-sanity

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Post a picture of the crack. We'll analyze it and determine the best way to fix it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the iboats dry dock.

I'll be looking forward to some pics of the Chief.

wow thanks guys. I will get pics tonight.

Somebody hit something the front port side has a patch and the seam is split with tar and screws all over it. I 1" piece of tin folded over the seam and screwed down with tar on the inside of the boat under the bench seat in the port side cabin.

I dont plan on winning any speed records as long as it runs good. Going to get a 20hp merc too for trolling...

Does easyoff oven cleaner and a power washer take the paint off OR should I try something else??

Watermann

Start off at the stern by tearing down everything, motor, steering, controls and then move onto the decking. Your goal at this stage is to make the Chief look like a big row boat and then think about the paint strip job. :D

When you do, I use Klean Strip with the orange label (says strongest), cover it with cheap plastic drop cloth while it works. Yes on the pressure washer but you'll have to do some scraping and scrubbing too. Get a 3M pad with the plastic handle and a fine wire wheel for your drill.

Cool not looking forward to the body work...get a couple jugs of it and make a week out of it.

I got the whole boat empty and stripped down last night. Floor looks great except the one problem spot.

Going to get to work on the motor and put down a floor in the back so I can work at ease.

The cabin is in good shape too. Only needs fresh carpet, and a door.

I ripped out all the old wiring and dumb lights that were in there.And the homemade crapper was a treat.

So many fn holes everywhere man I am going to be filling holes for a week!!
Found a tig welder last night for the lower end of motor.
Not sure if one should weld it from the outside of the case or total dismantle is in order?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Aircraft paint stripper works real good. Get a gallon at Lowe's. Inmnotion has a recipe for mixing flour with stripper and pasting it on overnight. Maybe one of us will remember where the recipe is. Check you tube He's hobbyshed , good vids for tin boat restorers.

Welding the lower may not turn out so well. I missed why your welding on the motor. Cracked or missing skeg?

Last edited:

Watermann

Yeah all of the seals in the lower would fry out and need replaced if the weld is any length at all. I thought it was the hull that you wanted to weld?

BTW... we are still missing pics here, ya know the price of admission is cheap but required!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Pics or we assemble the angry mob.:D Look at watermans signature.

JB weld is some pretty stout stuff. I've seen and heard of some miraculous healings with that stuff. Welding die cast aluminum is a crap shoot.I'd need to look up the chemistry on it to see for sure. Brazing may be a better option, if you have a torch.

image_204381.jpg image_204382.jpg Here are some pics of the beast stripped down

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 4
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 4
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Watermann

Ok, we'll put down the torches for now since we can see what you're faced with. Shes a fine looking ole Chief! :thumb:

A photobucket account works the best for putting up pics here. The site here doesn't handle pics very well at all. Like so...

I really don't like the look of this next pic, the spray rail with all the smeg in it and super long screws. I'll be interested to see whats underneath that, I'm thinking a crack. :eek:

Last edited:
image_204384.jpg image_204383.jpg image_204383.jpg Yes it looks like it is split for two feet down the seam.!!! ouch ^ that pic is the inside of these pics...

PO folded some tin over the seam with glue and tar behind it. Going to gring it all off and see what to do...

Aircraft paint stripper works real good. Get a gallon at Lowe's. Inmnotion has a recipe for mixing flour with stripper and pasting it on overnight. Maybe one of us will remember where the recipe is. Check you tube He's hobbyshed , good vids for tin boat restorers.

Welding the lower may not turn out so well. I missed why your welding on the motor. Cracked or missing skeg?

hairline crack 3" down lower unit behind the prop. Somebody hit a rock.

I made the motor stand last night so work can begin to see if it is junk or rebuild...

Watermann

Whoa, that's some serious tin work you have to resurrect the ole Chief. I can see some specialized tools in your future if your going to dive into the chore of restoring her. Patches, hull stiffeners and new solid rivets galore on this one. Too bad about the motor damage...:grumpy:

She failed the water test REAL BAD. She is now in china pressed into a tin can. But I got a 1989 26' Bayliner cuddy. Little less work ;)

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's to bad. She looked like she might need more work than she was worth. Who knows she might return as a Crestliner or a new Lund.