Are these sewing machines any good?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
I use a Singer similar to the Necchi for all my sewing. It's a bit "weak" for it but does the job. Just recently had to do a six layer stack of Phifertex and it worked with a little help. The Coronado looks a bit more sturdy and might be a better choice.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check out the free youtube videos by Sailrite.com There you can find plenty of demonstrations about whether or not that sewing machine would work. I have not personally attempted any kind of upholstery sewing yet, but I have the same idea as you and that's doing it yourself. From what I have learned thus far, you should probably avoid that machine. Not because it isn't a good deal, but because there are plenty of newer machines with all sorts of attachments that make sewing heavy fabric easier. One thing that I know for sure that I will be looking for is something called a "walking foot." That machine may never have been engineered with a walking foot in mind. The idea is that a walking foot(of a larger industrial type machine) helps to move two pieces of heavy fabric along and keeping the stitch consistent along it's length.

From studying the craigslist pictures, I stand by my recommendation NOT to buy it. It's really made for garment making, not vinyl or heavy fabric work. For me, I'll be looking for a second-hand industrial grade Juki machine. My inspiration to buy a Juki is because of some talented guys on Youtube doing professional auto upholstery and restoration. Their channel is www.youtube.com/user/younggunsfab/videos

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
CS, I've done extensive research on this subject. I did my own upholstery and used several different kinds of machines. I now own a 1940's model REX walking foot and as mentioned by others it is the ultimate in upholstery machines. However you can do quality work with Heavy Duty Homestyle machines. One of the best IMHO is a Singer 15-91. It's a Direct Drive 5 stitch per inch machine and it will sew thru 3 layers of Belt Leather without even Grunting!!! It is truly an amazing Home Machine. You can find them on Craigslist at times. There are four currently listed here in the Tulsa area and all are in the $100 range. A Good used walking foot machine will run a minimum of $300 and more than likely will run more towards $5-600. If you plan on pursuing upholstery as a part time job then it might be worth the investment or you could sell the machine after you're finished with your upholstery as well. Totally up to you. I have 4 sewing machines Two Morse Heavy duty ALL steel 1950's models and they both did the job and then 2 industrial machines, One ZigZag and the Walking foot. I for sure prefer the Walking Foot over all others but as stated you Can do Quality work with an All Steel 50's model machine. The first one you listed is not a good candidate for upholstery work, but the second one would probably do a decent job with a zipper foot and some practice on your part. But if you could find the Singer 15-91, I guarantee it is about as close to an industrial machine as you can find and the price is RIGHT!!! Check this out...

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
^^ Woody said that's a good one to have ..^^ Wish I was near it . Would have to go for it .. Hopefully the missing parts are available ..

Cooper_Stillwater

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I checked a dealer for sewing machine parts. They are pretty common from what I found out. Maybe about $30 for all parts. Going to pick it up tonight

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Post up some pics when you get her all fixed up! You're gunna love that machine. She's a real workhorse.