'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And last, the paint. I realize that some of you were thinking I was nuts for re-doing it, but I'm glad that I did. As I mentioned before I decided to re-do, I had sanded with 600 grit between coats in an effort to get rid of scratches showing through the coats, and I was having adhesion issues with the paint. So I stripped it back to primer and started over, this time only using 240 grit on the primer, and a red scotch pad between coats (wet). I also made sure to let it cure for several weeks before trying to mask over it. I had no issues with adhesion this time around, so I am happy with it. I would rather take the time to fix a known mistake now, than to risk having it come undone later. So here is the final paint on the hull.

So that brings me up to the present.Hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial weekend!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice chunk of hardware ya got there nm ! Good to see your still plugging away at things ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good to hear from NM! Looks like your doing alot of FUN things!:D Chop saw is fun, so is the mig. Been wondering when you'd get back here. Paint.....nutting but a paint in the adoublescribble.
Great to see ya.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Working on the engine can certainly cause you to pull your hair out, but it's one more thing off the list. Having all the aggravating mechanical stuff out of the way will make finishing the deck and interior all the more sweet. Remember small steps get you to your goal as much as giant leaps do.:encouragement:

I am in no way a mechanic. I am a good parts changer, but that is about it lol! Diagnosing problems leaves me doing this :frusty::censored: most of the time.Still, this is an old enough engine that I can think through most of it. Thankfully, my father in law was a mechanic for a good many years, so he is a big help, and I got a mercury manual online, so that helps a ton as well!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I should have waited until you had finished updating. All I can say is WOW! Your paint looks awesome. You have done a superb job on your repaint. I know this boat is gonna rock when you're finished. Have a great rest of the weekend.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You should only go fishing at night!!:joyous: That beautiful sheen is awesome! You won't need outboard night lights either.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman, the fish will LOVE the way your bottom hull looks!!!!!! :eek: All kidding aside, great work!! Outstanding as expected!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Holly Cow !! When I posted earlier The paint pics weren't there ! Repaint looks amazing !
Give yourself a good pat on the back nm you deserve it !! :clap2:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is that Cheap old Rustoleum Paint on dat dere Boat of yourn???:eek::D

Yourn.....??? the only tme Ive ever heard that term is from my all time favorite movie....Jeremiah Johnson....

Nurseman, you paint a mighty fine hull pilgrim....

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Holly Cow !! When I posted earlier The paint pics weren't there ! Repaint looks amazing !
Give yourself a good pat on the back nm you deserve it !! :clap2:

Thanks Sam! It's good to be done with that!

Amazing paint job nm

Thank you sir! I am enjoying your progress as well.

I should have waited until you had finished updating. All I can say is WOW! Your paint looks awesome. You have done a superb job on your repaint. I know this boat is gonna rock when you're finished. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Thanks tnstratofam, appreciate the comments.

Good to hear from NM! Looks like your doing alot of FUN things!:D Chop saw is fun, so is the mig. Been wondering when you'd get back here. Paint.....nutting but a paint in the adoublescribble.
Great to see ya.

Thank you good sir! Work is busy, but I would rather be busy with work than not...Keeps a little padding in the boat fund chest.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yourn.....??? the only tme Ive ever heard that term is from my all time favorite movie....Jeremiah Johnson....

Nurseman, you paint a mighty fine hull pilgrim....

I KNEW, I liked you!!! I've only watched that movie 2 hundred times!!!! :eek:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice work Jed!!!! The paint looks awesome :eek:!!! And good score on the tools! I know that trailer is gonna turn out great, just like everything else you work on :).

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm gonna put a 1/4" black stripe between the red and grey. Can anyone recommend a brand? I'm leaning towards 3M, but thought I would see if anyone has used any other brand.

zool

Captain
I'm gonna put a 1/4" black stripe between the red and grey. Can anyone recommend a brand? I'm leaning towards 3M, but thought I would see if anyone has used any other brand.

Black Rustoleum, and some fineline ;)

Hull looks great NM!...good job on the redo....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What they said!!!!!! Worked great on my Tower of Power!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Made some more progress over the past couple of evenings. Got the bow eye and tow hooks put in and the pin striping put on. I decided to go with 3M vinyl striping. One 1/4" stripe and one 1/8" stripe.

I also got the fuel pump and carbs cleaned up and rebuilt, as well as a general de-greasing of the block.

Next up is to rebuild the lower unit and water pump...