'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice job on the garboard drain shovel handle tubing liner thingy! :clap2: My wife thinks I'm a bit of a hoarder, just because she can't get the car into the garage I guess, but even I don't have a broken shovel handle kicking around. :D

Gee, when you put it that way, it sounds kinda bad...:facepalm:. Actually, that is the second "re-purposing" of the shovel handle. I had made it into a fan stand extension right after the sledgehammer incident. So I just "borrowed" a couple of inches from the fan stand.

Is it really hoarding if you are gonna use it someday?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Now WHY didn't I think of THAT!!!!:facepalm: Uhhmmm you forgot to use a CLAMP!!!!:D:eek:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Nurseman, I've been away working and the first thing I did was get myself up to date with your Lund! Experience is a hard mistress at times huh? Does your drain plug come with a insert type thingy that will allow it to be undone but not be removed from the hull? My ones were plastic (3!!! because the old girl was related to a sieve!) Good to see progress, even if you're back to where you were 3 weeks ago:mad: Looking forward to seeing the color :D

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Nurseman, I've been away working and the first thing I did was get myself up to date with your Lund! Experience is a hard mistress at times huh? Does your drain plug come with a insert type thingy that will allow it to be undone but not be removed from the hull? My ones were plastic (3!!! because the old girl was related to a sieve!) Good to see progress, even if you're back to where you were 3 weeks ago:mad: Looking forward to seeing the color :D

Good to hear from you! The drain plug is threaded on both ends, with a space between, so that when you open it, it will slide out about 1", then the second set of threads stop it from coming out completely. If I want to remove it, the plug can be threaded out the rest of the way. But it does not have any sort of chain or retainer to keep it in the hull. Hope that answers your question! Looking forward to seeing your progress too!

Last edited:

RStewart

Seaman
Nice job on the drain plug & the Mcgiver ingenuity. I like that style of drain plug & I think I will install one of those in my boat.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I finally got some color on this tub! I got the first coat of color on the bottom of the hull. I used Rustoleum paint and Majic catalyst and reducer, following WOG's recipe for mixing and adding hardener. Looks like there is a little bit of orange peel in it, but not too bad, for the bottom of a boat. It looks nice in the pictures though...

Gotta work a couple of 12h shifts tomorrow and Friday, so I will get to the second coat on Saturday!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What tip size? How much Reducer? Temps??

Shop was at about 65 deg. Had a 1.4 tip on the gun with 40psi at the gun. I used your recepie to add the reducer. The paint just seemed kinda thick after I added the reducer, but I ran with it. I think I might try adding a bit more reducer to it for the second coat and see how that sprays.

This is what I used as a guide to mix the reducer.

For 1 qt paint
1/4 cup of Acetone & 3/4 cup of Majic's Reducer.
In High Temps use Acrylic Enamel High Temp Reducer sold at some Auto Supply stores.
(I used Acme Finish 1 from Advance Auto.)
2oz of Hardener (1/4 cup/4Tablespoons)
(NOTE: Only add Hardener to the amount of Paint that you will use in an 8hr period.) DO NOT use after this 8hr period.

I mixed up 2 cups (1/2 qt) at a time using 1oz of hardener, 1/2 cup of reducer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, with those temps, I'd go straight reducer and use 1 1/4 cups. It oughta flow a bit better. Give that first coat a wet sand with 220 and knock down some of that OP.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks great ! Nm ! ;)
Yep get as much of the o/p off that you can . It will show through to the next coat ... O/P can be a real pita sometimes ...

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
careful, nm...them fishies are gonna be "blind-ed by the light" and unable to see your worm!! looks great!!!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks good. I can't see any o/p, and I'm sure the fishes won't mind. Hope your work week is a short and uneventful one. I know from my sister ( She's been a nurse for 20 years ) how those 12h shifts can be.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I took a look at her when I got home, and she looks better than she did last night. It seems that the OP settled out a bit, so not as bad as I thought! :D Still gonna give it a bit of a scuffing before the next coat.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like the color...a lot! Lookin' good!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally got some color on this tub! I got the first coat of color on the bottom of the hull. I used Rustoleum paint and Majic catalyst and reducer, following WOG's recipe for mixing and adding hardener. Looks like there is a little bit of orange peel in it, but not too bad, for the bottom of a boat. It looks nice in the pictures though...

Gotta work a couple of 12h shifts tomorrow and Friday, so I will get to the second coat on Saturday!

Hey nurseman. Colour!!!! woo hoo. OP, It's there dagnabbit. All I can say is WOW! If that's the first coat (practice run) then with a little sanding and and thinner paint next time round....man that boat is gonna be slippery! Go with your gut, if you felt it was too thick before you painted,then OP was the result. Still a magnificent finish, the fish will be impressed!
Cheers from OZ

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks guys! More color to come! Tomorrow I will get her sanded and the second coat of grey on (hopefully!)