'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Beautiful work!!! What was the final tally on the amount of resin? What size is your boat. Getting ready to order supplies and am trying to figure out my supplies. Thanks for your post, its one that anyone can learn from. Aloha.

Thanks kinaiahi61! The boat is 15' long and has a 6' beam. I have used 20.5 gallons to date, and will probably burn through another five (at least) when I get to the cap. However, I did add two layers of 1708 over the entire inside of the hull, which used lots of resin. When I got started on mine, I wasn't sure how much resin I would need, so I bought 10 gallons to start, and then just got more as I needed it, but I can pick my supplies up locally, so doing it that way is convenient for me. Hope this helps you out!

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks kinaiahi61! The boat is 15' long and has a 6' beam. I have used 20.5 gallons to date, and will probably burn through another five (at least) when I get to the cap. However, I did add two layers of 1708 over the entire inside of the hull, which used lots of resin. When I got started on mine, I wasn't sure how much resin I would need, so I bought 10 gallons to start, and then just got more as I needed it, but I can pick my supplies up locally, so doing it that way is convenient for me. Hope this helps you out!

Thanks for the reply. Hope mine comes out as good as yours did.

Smtred

Seaman Apprentice
That was a great read, I didn't want it to stop. I go to forums for a lot of different things. They are usually chalk full of knowledge and help to learn what you are doing. The community here is top notch and this thread in particular is OUTSTANDING! A+ work NM. I've learned one heck of a lot reading through this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post your methods and steps all the way through. Look forward to seeing more, and i gotta add seeing you bring out the clamps again to straighten out the hull gave me a good laugh. :rofl:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Smtred! Glad to hear you got something out of my little three ring circus!

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey nurseman, I've been working away again and just got back home on the 24th about 930 pm. Now that I've got my nurseman fix, :lol: I can relax! Well I too have joined the backyard mad as, boat restorers club........and I'm itchy.:facepalm::doh: I really want to thank you for the detail you've gone to, to fill us learners in.
I live in the tropics in Far North Queensland, Australia so today was fairly average for late December here and the 'wet' season has not begun yet. 34C (93F) with low humidity of 85%.
I want to commend you for sharing your rebuild, keep up the good work! :first:
If I can post my pics i'll begin my own thread soon.
May I ask why paint and not gel coat? I'll need that to understand that for my boat.
2 thumbs up :rockon:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If I can post my pics i'll begin my own thread soon.
May I ask why paint and not gel coat? I'll need that to understand that for my boat.

To post your pics, open a free photobucket account, upload your pics to that, then when you want to post them to your thread, click on the pic that you want, and to the right of the pictures will be a "share links" box. Click on the IMG box to copy it, then go to your post and paste the pic. It will show up as code until you post, then the picture will show up.

As for the paint vs. gelcoat, I spent lots of time debating and researching both methods. I like the toughness and shine of the gelcoat, but the cost of materials and application methods kinda pushed me towards the paint. Both methods have been done on the forum with excellent relsults, but based on what I have read, I think that painting is the better option for me. There have been many others in the forum have used paint/hardner with good results, so I am confident that I can achieve good results as well.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, I think I have things as good as I can get without shooting some primer on her. I have to say that I am very pleased with how it is turning out so far. Finally got the transom straight, which has been my focus for the past week or so.

So I got started on the spray booth yesterday. I am kinda copying archbuilder in designing this booth, in that I am planning on using positive pressure instead of negative pressure. I like the idea of forcing any possible contaminates out of the booth. I am going to have two intake fans, in the upper corners at one end of the booth. (the other side is a mirror of this one)

The exhaust filters are at ground level at the other end of the booth. I also am planning to put the entry/exit right next to the filters, so that if I kick up any dust going in or out, it will be right next to the exhaust. The exhaust will be vented to the outside under the overhead door, but I don't have that portion built yet.

If anyone has suggestions or ideas that might make this more efficient, please don't hesitate to throw them at me!

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Woody, it sure took me long enough to get her straight! In hindsight, I think I would flip the hull over first and then fix the crack, that way I wouldn't be fighting gravity while placing the cloth on the patch. But the main thing is that she is straight n strong now, thanks to your awesome advice.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Holy paint booth batman ! All I can add is make sure ya have plenty of light . Can't ever have enough ! ;)
What paint are ya using ?

Tnstratofam

Commander
That transom looks straight as an arrow.:encouragement: That paint booth is gonna rock. I;m certainly taking notes, and I think the positive pressure idea is a good one. You are doing some great work. Keep it up.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Holy paint booth batman ! All I can add is make sure ya have plenty of light . Can't ever have enough ! ;)
What paint are ya using ?

Yea, am giving plenty of thought to lighting. The shop is lit pretty good, but it won't be when I start spraying...I may invest in several cheap florescent lights to hang up while I spray. I am using the rust-oleum primer and paint with hardener.

That transom looks straight as an arrow.:encouragement: That paint booth is gonna rock. I;m certainly taking notes, and I think the positive pressure idea is a good one. You are doing some great work. Keep it up.

Thanks tnstratofam! I wish I could take credit:humble:, but I'm just using knowledge that others have posted here on the forum!

zool

Captain
Nothing like a makeshift booth to brighten the holidays :)......ps, make sure you put the light fixtures outside the plastic when using pos pressure...the rusto will be ok, but the cat and reducer can flash...with pos pressure, you force the fumes in every nook and cranny..like light fixtures hehe....looks good bud!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great work Nurseman!!! Ididnt build a temp booth, sometimes wish I did....

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nothing like a makeshift booth to brighten the holidays :)......ps, make sure you put the light fixtures outside the plastic when using pos pressure...the rusto will be ok, but the cat and reducer can flash...with pos pressure, you force the fumes in every nook and cranny..like light fixtures hehe....looks good bud!

Thanks zool! I was planning on keeping the lights outside of the plastic! How is your booth coming along?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great work Nurseman!!! Ididnt build a temp booth, sometimes wish I did....

Yea, too much stuff that I don't want over-spray on. If it was warmer, I think I would just do the priming outside, but I don't want to wait till May... We got all the way up to 9 degrees today:cold:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I just hung a tarp over the the garage doorway and rigged up a box fan to pull fumes out ..
A booth would be nice !
Btw , It was 82 in the shade down here yesterday ... We got some rain then the dang mosquitoes came back out .. :eek: