'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea right there over to the left, down @ 1/2" go to right @ 3/4" see it? there it is! Ha!!! Got ya... Looks Darn Good to me!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman......Fantastic work!!!! It looks great!!! You will definitely fill and sand some more on each coat of primer....thats how it works.... the goal is less and less with each coat. Have you decided what type of primer/paint combo you are going to use. Or Gelcoat?

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman......Fantastic work!!!! It looks great!!! You will definitely fill and sand some more on each coat of primer....thats how it works.... the goal is less and less with each coat. Have you decided what type of primer/paint combo you are going to use. Or Gelcoat?

Thanks Corjen! I am going to use rust-oleum primer and rust-oleum paint with hardner.

Nurseman take a few, stand back with an adult beverage and pat yourself on the back. That hard work is looking good.

Thanks Mark, I believe I will! Any idea how many it will take before it looks good enough to paint?????:faint2::noidea:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman, I am very happy with the rustoleum paint!!! When you open your primer, if there is a hard ball of solids, take it back and get a different one. It means that it old and has set on the shelf to long.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You're gunna need more reducer!!! OR you can make your own. It's basically a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Mineral Spirits.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You're gunna need more reducer!!! OR you can make your own. It's basically a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Mineral Spirits.

Yea, I got a gallon of rust-oleum special reducer for the primer, it's just not in the pic. But the formula for making my own is handy.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok, I have been sanding and sanding and sanding, so far I have been resisting the voices that want me to try and make it flawless. But they are getting more and more demanding. :director: Don't have any pictures because I figure everyone on here has seen sanded filler before. However, I do have a question for those who have done this before. I am mixing my own filler with resin (wax added), cabosil and glass bubbles. When I start sanding, it gums up the paper really quick, then gets easy to sand. My question is, is there an easier way to get the wax off? or is gummy paper just part of the deal? I mixed the wax at 3oz/gallon of resin (which is what my supplier instructed)

Any thoughts or tips?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried to wipe the area down with acetone before you start sanding ? I have not made the home made filler yet but I thought it was just glass bubbles and resin .. I may be wrong ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, Yeah...Don't add any wax!!! Here's my recipe.. 500cc resin, 100cc cabosil, add GB's untill you get the consistency you want. Thin with Acetone if needed. Put plastic over patch to cure it or spray with PVA. What Grit are you starting to sand with?

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ha, I hear those same voices "are you crazy? just a little bit more, you're nuts! just one last round...

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Uhmmm, Yeah...Don't add any wax!!! Here's my recipe.. 500cc resin, 100cc cabosil, add GB's untill you get the consistency you want. Thin with Acetone if needed. Put plastic over patch to cure it or spray with PVA. What Grit are you starting to sand with?

That is about how I am making it, I have been using about 200 ml of Cabosil in 50th of resin and then go to consistency. I am using waxed resin because you had stated in another post that the home depot resin worked fine for filler, because it had wax in it. Did I misunderstand you? I bought a gallon of good resin from my supplier and added wax to the whole thing. I am sanding with 80 grit. Oh well, just gonna use a little more paper I guess, no big deal!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I have used the Bondo stuff but I thought you were using the laminating resin. No biggie. Mix it thick and then thin with Acetone. The acetone will dilute the wax and it won't clog up so much. Also "Wet" sand it with "Wet Water" That'll help some as well. 80 grit is what I use too! You been listening to a Dumb Old Okie??? Man What's wrong with you?????

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hey Nurseman,

I've finally finished reading your thread. Very impressive dood! Some mad carpentry, glassin, and attention to detail skills you have! I really like the was you approach each task... The scribing of the stringers was awesome! I'm signed up, and along for the home stretch!

Bear

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, I have used the Bondo stuff but I thought you were using the laminating resin. No biggie. Mix it thick and then thin with Acetone. The acetone will dilute the wax and it won't clog up so much. Also "Wet" sand it with "Wet Water" That'll help some as well. 80 grit is what I use too! You been listening to a Dumb Old Okie??? Man What's wrong with you?????

Thanks Woody! I will give the acetone a try. Oh and by the way, I'm in Minnesota, so using "wet" water is a trick this time of year, we tend to have "hard" water right about now...could I just rub it with a block of ice instead?

Hey Nurseman,

I've finally finished reading your thread. Very impressive dood! Some mad carpentry, glassin, and attention to detail skills you have! I really like the was you approach each task... The scribing of the stringers was awesome! I'm signed up, and along for the home stretch!

Bear

Thanks Bear, and welcome aboard!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well if it's so cold that you can't use Wet Water then you go NO Business doin any glassin at all!!!!!:eek::D;) How about usin HOT WET WATER!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well if it's so cold that you can't use Wet Water then you go NO Business doin any glassin at all!!!!!:eek::D;) How about usin HOT WET WATER!!!!

Not to worry Woody, the shop is insulated and heated. I am usually in enough hot water with the admiral that I don't need it anywhere else!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If I was there, I could just start talkin and all the HOT AIR would have the shop warm in NO TIME!!!!:eek:

kinaiahi61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Beautiful work!!! What was the final tally on the amount of resin? What size is your boat. Getting ready to order supplies and am trying to figure out my supplies. Thanks for your post, its one that anyone can learn from. Aloha.